Windows 10 Home to Pro not working

KhandakeF
Go to solution Solved by KhandakeF,

Ok Guys Microsoft Support was able to fix it. They did something through the registry to (I think?) make the OS think it was Windows 10 Pro and then did it from there

Hello. 

I bought a Windows 10 Pro OEM key online. I have Windows 10 home(retail?) on my Alienware 15r3 and am trying to upgrade to. 

When I try to change the the product key, it says that the product key I entered didn't work, w error code 0xc004f050. 

I contacted Microsoft and they verified that the product key is authentic. 

Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U *insert firetruck picture* :) 

4 minutes ago, KhandakeF said:

Hello. 

I bought a Windows 10 Pro OEM key online. I have Windows 10 home(retail?) on my Alienware 15r3 and am trying to upgrade to. 

When I try to change the the product key, it says that the product key I entered didn't work, w error code 0xc004f050. 

Just do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro with that key. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

6 minutes ago, KhandakeF said:

Hello. 

Back up your stuff and reinstall Windows. 

You should reinstall Windows with the new code. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

4 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Just do a clean install of Windows 10 Pro with that key. 

Uhhh..... There's no option for a product key? It just goes straight into setting everything up

5 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

You should reinstall Windows with the new code. 

5 hours ago, <Aleks> said:

Back up your stuff and reinstall Windows. 

There's nothing that asks me for a product key when I do it. Also, when I use the windows media creation tool + USB drive, it doesn't let me enter a product key, just defaults to 10 Home

10 hours ago, KhandakeF said:

There's nothing that asks me for a product key when I do it. Also, when I use the windows media creation tool + USB drive, it doesn't let me enter a product key, just defaults to 10 Home

Have you downloaded the correct media creation tool? If so it would ask you what version of Windows you want to install, it will want the key when you reboot the PC.

1 hour ago, <Aleks> said:

Have you downloaded the correct media creation tool? If so it would ask you what version of Windows you want to install, it will want the key when you reboot the PC.

Well in the drop-down where it asks that, the only option is "Windows 10", no Home, Pro, Enterprise, Banana(for effect) 

13 minutes ago, KhandakeF said:

Well in the drop-down where it asks that, the only option is "Windows 10", no Home, Pro, Enterprise, Banana(for effect) 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 

Download this media creation tool( just to make sure it's the right one).

And according to Microsoft, do this to get Windows 10 Pro:

"If you are re-installing Windows 10 Pro for Workstations on your PC, you need to create installation media using the Media Creation Tool and choose Windows 10 as your edition.  When you start the installation, choose to skip entering a product key, and instead choose to install Windows 10 Pro.   Once you are at the Windows 10 Pro desktop, from the Start Menu, click Settings then Update & security, and Activation. If your PC was previously running Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, click the Go to store button and you can reclaim the edition change to Windows 10 Pro for Workstations at no additional charge."

It's most likely giving that error because it's not an upgrade code (this is just a guess since you can upgrade to pro directly through the OS), and the reason why you're getting no option to enter a product key during the windows 10 install is because the original license code is hard coded into the BIOS and the installation media is reading that and proceeding with installing the original version of windows that the key is linked with.

13 hours ago, demonix00 said:

It's most likely giving that error because it's not an upgrade code (this is just a guess since you can upgrade to pro directly through the OS), and the reason why you're getting no option to enter a product key during the windows 10 install is because the original license code is hard coded into the BIOS and the installation media is reading that and proceeding with installing the original version of windows that the key is linked with.

What do I do then?

Also, when I try to use the generic Pro product key, it does goes to the next stage, but it says that it can;t activate windows on this device because you dont have a valid digital license or product key

I'm sorry. I'm having different thoughts and things to say on this but they're coming at different times and I can't delete previous posts :'( 

11 hours ago, <Aleks> said:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 

Download this media creation tool( just to make sure it's the right one).

And according to Microsoft, do this to get Windows 10 Pro:

"If you are re-installing Windows 10 Pro for Workstations on your PC, you need to create installation media using the Media Creation Tool and choose Windows 10 as your edition.  When you start the installation, choose to skip entering a product key, and instead choose to install Windows 10 Pro.   Once you are at the Windows 10 Pro desktop, from the Start Menu, click Settings then Update & security, and Activation. If your PC was previously running Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, click the Go to store button and you can reclaim the edition change to Windows 10 Pro for Workstations at no additional charge."

Nope still doesn't ask or allow me to install anything other than Home

Ok Guys Microsoft Support was able to fix it. They did something through the registry to (I think?) make the OS think it was Windows 10 Pro and then did it from there