Just received my Pixel 2 XL yesterday... Some first impressions.

So... I just got my shiny new Just Black Pixel 2 XL yesterday, and I've been using it a lot since. Some first impressions:

The design: While I personally would like for the glass shade to be smaller or for their to just be none all together, I gotta say I prefer it to an all glass phone because of durability reasons as well as the fact that I just prefer metal. The back feels nice in the hand, the phone is relatively thin so it's nice to use and there's still a good bit of weight to it so it feels pretty premium. I'm digging the design.

Speakers: While they're pretty nice, I gotta say sound isn't as nice as I thought it would be with two front firing speakers. They're still pretty decent though and good enough for me.

Performance: Ohhhh boy. This thing is smooth and FAST. I definitely haven't used a phone this nice before. I haven't even realized that it's become second nature for me to expect small stutters and stuff here and there while web browsing, browsing reddit, etc. or that it's second nature to expect small delays when opening and closing apps. This thing just responds when you touch it and I've only experienced any stutter at all in a few cases (swiftkey app though it seems their app just sucks and one or two websites that seem to jump around because of ads). Everything else is just butter smooth and this thing really just doesn't slow down. Did I mention the thing boots up in 5 seconds or so (from being fully shut down!)?

Some people argue that SoC performance doesn't matter anymore since smartphone SoCs are fast enough already. I'm just going to go ahead and disagree with this. I tested with speedtest and I'm getting about the same network performance from the same location with my Pixel 2 XL as with my OnePlus 2; however, websites feel like they load faster on the Pixel, which is most likely down to the faster SoC crunching those websites faster. Look at web benchmarks such as Octane and Kraken and you'll see a numeric representation of what I'm talking about. Things just load.

Display: As everyone knows the display has been a hot topic on the pixel 2 XL. There have been lots of things people have pointed out as issues and out of these I've only noticed two of them.

Noticeable blue shift when viewing off axis: There definitely is a blue shift. I would say that if you're viewing the screen from more than 45 degrees off axis that there is a significant blue shift of the display. 45 degrees sounds like it wouldn't happen much, but it does. Sitting a little farther from the phone while it's flat on a table? Blue shift. Holding the phone somewhat close to your face while your face is towards the top of the display? The bottom blue shifts. 

Forty five degrees sounds like it wouldn't matter, but it really does. The blue shift is definitely there. However, for me it doesn't matter too much. You only really notice it when looking at mostly white stuff, so whenever watching videos or whatnot you really don't notice it even if you tilt the phone to really large angles. It's only when browsing the web with a white background that you might notice it. For me, while somewhat annoying, it isn't that horrible and not a dealbreaker.

The other big thing I've noticed with the display is graininess. People haven't seemed to been talking about this much compared to black smudging (which I think there might be A LITTLE bit of, but if there is any there's so little that I really don't notice it) and burn in (which I can't report on since I literally got the thing yesterday lol). Even at really high brightness there is a noticeable graininess to the display which is most pronounced in whites. You don't see it as much in other colors. 

To best explain it, the graininess sort of looks like the way that white looks on a kindle e-paper display, if you've used a kindle before. It doesn't really bother me that much but that may be a dealbreaker for some people and it is there nearly all the time (if you're displaying white).

I don't have much to report on when it comes to other aspects of the phone (such as camera) since I've only used it for less than a day. My first impressions though are pretty positive and the only downside is the display (but it's not a dealbreaker for me, just a mild annoyance). If anyone has any questions about it or stuff they would like me to test I'd be happy to do it (provided it doesn't involve breaking or damaging the thing lol).

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

The design: While I personally would like for the glass shade to be smaller or for their to just be none all together, I gotta say I prefer it to an all glass phone because of durability reasons as well as the fact that I just prefer metal. The back feels nice in the hand, the phone is relatively thin so it's nice to use and there's still a good bit of weight to it so it feels pretty premium. I'm digging the design.

I really like the partial glass back concept, I just hate Google's implementation of it. The 5s is still my favorite stylistic design and I really wish Apple went back to it.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I really like the partial glass back concept, I just hate Google's implementation of it. The 5s is still my favorite stylistic design and I really wish Apple went back to it.

I like the Pixel 2's take on it better than the original one. I agree with you though, I would still like it smaller (somewhat like what it was on the Nexus 6P, or as you mentioned how it was on the 5/5s). I like the two tone idea but it shouldn't be a competition between the two, but more so of one accenting the design.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I like the Pixel 2's take on it better than the original one. I agree with you though, I would still like it smaller (somewhat like what it was on the Nexus 6P, or as you mentioned how it was on the 5/5s). I like the two tone idea but it shouldn't be a competition between the two, but more so of one accenting the design.

Yeah, well, Google doesn't like subtle....I can't think of any other reason for the orange button on the panda pixel.

EDIT: I'm actually really upset it's called the Pixel 2XL and not the Panda Pixel.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

12 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Performance: Ohhhh boy. This thing is smooth and FAST. I definitely haven't used a phone this nice before. I haven't even realized that it's become second nature for me to expect small stutters and stuff here and there while web browsing, browsing reddit, etc. or that it's second nature to expect small delays when opening and closing apps. This thing just responds when you touch it and I've only experienced any stutter at all in a few cases (swiftkey app though it seems their app just sucks and one or two websites that seem to jump around because of ads). Everything else is just butter smooth and this thing really just doesn't slow down. Did I mention the thing boots up in 5 seconds or so (from being fully shut down!)?

Some people argue that SoC performance doesn't matter anymore since smartphone SoCs are fast enough already. I'm just going to go ahead and disagree with this. I tested with speedtest and I'm getting about the same network performance from the same location with my Pixel 2 XL as with my OnePlus 2; however, websites feel like they load faster on the Pixel, which is most likely down to the faster SoC crunching those websites faster. Look at web benchmarks such as Octane and Kraken and you'll see a numeric representation of what I'm talking about. Things just load.

This stuff is so cute to read from the Android users perspective :D

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

31 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

So... I just got my shiny new Just Black Pixel 2 XL yesterday,

Is this really where we are with phones now?! 

Are we going to have another Honda Civic GT SE Convertible Hatchback Sports-package incident?

#FaithInHumanityLostAgain

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

This stuff is so cute to read from the Android users perspective :D

*android users with eh phones

Top end I believe has generally been OK. For example my mom's nexus 6 has been pretty smooth. Not pixel 2 xl smooth but a lot smoother than my oneplus 2.

I won't deny it though, iPhones always have been and for the foreseeable future will be smoother and more responsive than even the best android phone. That's just how it is. 

3 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Is this really where we are with phones now?! 

Are we going to have another Honda Civic GT SE Convertible Hatchback Sports-package incident?

#FaithInHumanityLostAgain

The color naming scheme trend has been going towards fancy for a while now, and unfortunately it doesn't look to be stopping soon. :/

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

The color naming scheme trend has been going towards fancy for a while now, and unfortunately it doesn't look to be stopping soon. :/

I don't think I would use "fancy" to describe it. I think I would say "faux modern" or "false modesty". 

And that's saying a LOT after Apple released "Rose Gold" which would have been slightly better as "Metallic Pink", though rose gold is a jeweler's term for pink-hued gold pieces. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I don't think I would use "fancy" to describe it. I think I would say "faux modern" or "false modesty". 

And that's saying a LOT after Apple released "Rose Gold" which would have been slightly better as "Metallic Pink", though rose gold is a jeweler's term for pink-hued gold pieces. 

Rose gold makes perfect sense though, since as you said, it is a known term/color. It kind of loses its sensibility when you realize that Space Gray is a thing and that every Space Gray has been a different color. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler