Cortana turned white!?

moderategamer

So I just got the windows 10 update as I couldn't stand it reminding me every ten seconds anymore. The problem is that the Cortana search bar has changed from being dark to being annoyingly white it's very distracting and I want it gone. I had a look around in the settings to see if I could change it but have had no luck finding anything. I can get it to change back if I set the application theme to dark but this changes application backgrounds to black which I don't want.

Help please :) I'm really starting to get annoyed with this update crap.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

screenshot so we know what you're talking about?

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

3 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

screenshot so we know what you're talking about?

White one is how it looks now and the dark is how it should look.

cortana.png

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

weird.. well, you should be able to right click on her and make her go away completely if you want :D

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Just now, Tsuki said:

weird.. well, you should be able to right click on her and make her go away completely if you want :D

Nah I actually use her for setting timers and such and it looks weird without her :P

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

well, one thing you can try is to change yoru region settings to somewhere where cortana isnt available, like the Isle of Man or Yemen.

then log off, log back in, change it back to your actual location, then relog again.

its weird, but it should work

|Specs in profile|

Really that seems long winded plus I don't see why it would work as the change has been set by the update. I'll probably just have to wait for them to patch it in the next update when they realise how stupid it looks and for now I'll just use the dark theme for my OCD :) Thanks for the suggestion though.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Just now, moderategamer said:

Really that seems long winded plus I don't see why it would work as the change has been set by the update. I'll probably just have to wait for them to patch it in the next update when they realise how stupid it looks and for now I'll just use the dark theme for my OCD :) Thanks for the suggestion though.

trust me, give it a shot.  if it doesnt work, then it doesnt work and you only wasted 5 minutes trying.  if it does, itll save you a couple weeks of OCD nightmares.

its not a windows settings issue, its potentially an issue with connection to microsoft servers.  toggling your location like this, forces a refresh.

|Specs in profile|

Well I stand corrected, It took forever since I haven't installed an SSD in my laptop yet but it worked.

Thanks for the help what a weird bug seem to always get weird bugs every time I update. 

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Just now, moderategamer said:

Well I stand corrected, It took forever since I haven't installed an SSD in my laptop yet but it worked.

Thanks for the help what a weird bug seem to always get weird bugs every time I update. 

:) anytime, its what we're here for.

|Specs in profile|

It actually goes back to white sometimes (it's happening to me too).

A faster way without logging out is to change the region, kill Cortana in task manager, and change the region back. After this click in the search bar and Cortana should be back with the normal color.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Do you have a problem with white? I find all races are equal.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Do you have a problem with white? I find all races are equal.

I hate my own kind.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

I have this issue and after watching the WAN show it would appear Linus has the same issue. A workaround was to change the computers location to another and then back again. But as soon as you restart it goes white again. You could use windows dark mode. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

2 hours ago, fixitnow said:

I have this issue and after watching the WAN show it would appear Linus has the same issue. A workaround was to change the computers location to another and then back again. But as soon as you restart it goes white again. You could use windows dark mode. 

Really I missed the latest WAN show, I did the region fix under Tsuki's recommendation that fixed the colour but broke Cortana I think, she wasn't working this morning. I restarted her and the white colour is back so like you said I'm just using the dark theme till windows gets their shit together.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

1 hour ago, moderategamer said:

Really I missed the latest WAN show, I did the region fix under Tsuki's recommendation that fixed the colour but broke Cortana I think, she wasn't working this morning. I restarted her and the white colour is back so like you said I'm just using the dark theme till windows gets their shit together.

It doesn't really bother me so much now I have changed to a winter wall paper. But if I was still using XP bliss then I would. I don't even know how mine changed I have windows updates disabled. 

5 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

It doesn't really bother me so much now I have changed to a winter wall paper. But if I was still using XP bliss then I would. I don't even know how mine changed I have windows updates disabled. 

That's strange they must be sneaking them in somehow without you noticing some dodgy background service that automatically updates. I think it just looks so out of place it bugs me.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

24 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

That's strange they must be sneaking them in somehow without you noticing some dodgy background service that automatically updates. I think it just looks so out of place it bugs me.

Yeah....glad I moved to Mac for my important stuff. Perhaps it's Microsoft's way of getting us to notice that cortana is there and they want us to use her....I wonder if disabling her makes a difference. 

2 hours ago, fixitnow said:

Yeah....glad I moved to Mac for my important stuff. Perhaps it's Microsoft's way of getting us to notice that cortana is there and they want us to use her....I wonder if disabling her makes a difference. 

It wouldn't surprise me Microsoft seem to have just started doing whatever the f**k they want because they can I still use 7 on my desktop it's a dream.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

32 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

It wouldn't surprise me Microsoft seem to have just started doing whatever the f**k they want because they can I still use 7 on my desktop it's a dream.

I think XP was the best and 7 came along as the replacement. Windows 7 was the last great system they made. 

it uses your windows theme

settings, personalization, color, light or dark

14 hours ago, DOGC_Kyle said:

it uses your windows theme

settings, personalization, color, light or dark

Yeah but then your programs have black backgrounds

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

ah okay, didn't realize you already mentioned that. I've always used dark themes for everything so that's what I was used to.

There's an old registry option to change this as well though. Not sure if it still works, but ill post it if I find it. 

this change started as an A/B test on insider builds, apparently not a lot of people complained about it then so they expanded it to public builds.

It wasn't an online update, it locally decided whether it wants to enable/disable the recolour (this was actually added a long time ago, but kept disabled) as part of the A/B test, that's why it changed without any noticeable update. It would've still done it without internet connection. 

They've posted a ton of concepts for light and dark taskbar themes, so it looks like their eventual plan is to have a system-wide light and dark theme. I agree that changing a single element looks out of place, hopefully they finish the full redesign soon instead of enabling a half-finished change. 

try this registry change:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search\Flighting\0\WhiteSearchBox

0 = Default search box color (always dark theme)
1 = White search box color (matches system theme)

or this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/75390-change-cortana-search-box-background-transparency-windows-10-a.html

4 hours ago, DOGC_Kyle said:

ah okay, didn't realize you already mentioned that. I've always used dark themes for everything so that's what I was used to.

There's an old registry option to change this as well though. Not sure if it still works, but ill post it if I find it. 

this change started as an A/B test on insider builds, apparently not a lot of people complained about it then so they expanded it to public builds.

It wasn't an online update, it locally decided whether it wants to enable/disable the recolour (this was actually added a long time ago, but kept disabled) as part of the A/B test, that's why it changed without any noticeable update. It would've still done it without internet connection. 

They've posted a ton of concepts for light and dark taskbar themes, so it looks like their eventual plan is to have a system-wide light and dark theme. I agree that changing a single element looks out of place, hopefully they finish the full redesign soon instead of enabling a half-finished change. 

4 hours ago, DOGC_Kyle said:

try this registry change:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search\Flighting\0\WhiteSearchBox

0 = Default search box color (always dark theme)
1 = White search box color (matches system theme)

or this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/75390-change-cortana-search-box-background-transparency-windows-10-a.html

Thanks I might give that a try if they don't fix it soon hopefully they will figure it out soon if they get enough feedback.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass