Should I upgrade from a MSI to a HP Pavilion or ASUS VivoBook?

Zyre

Hey all,

For the past 4 years I've been using a MSI Gaming Series GP70-2OD-043NL. I've been considering upgrading my laptop for something new and giving my MSI to my parents. I use my laptop a lot for school. From word editing to virtualization as I'm studying IT.

I want to step away from a 17 inch to a 15 inch laptop, one that is a little big smaller so I can better carry it with me. So I did some looking around  and I came up with the following two laptops.

HP Pavilion 15-CK093ND

url: https://www.laptopshop.nl/product/794496/hp-pavilion-15-ck093nd.html

• 15,6 inch 1080p IPS glossy screen
  • Intel Core i5 8250U
  • 8GB RAM
  • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD
  • Nvidia Geforce MX150

ASUS VivoBook S15 S510UA-BQ514T

url: https://www.coolblue.nl/product/796186/asus-vivobook-s15-s510ua-bq514t.html

• 15,6 inch 1080p IPS matte screen
  • Intel Core i5 8250U
  • 8GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
  • Intel UHD Graphics 620

My personal opinion is that I like the HP more. The gold look of the ASUS doesn't really get me. The HP also offers a dedicated GPU, which the ASUS doesn't have.

What I'd like to know is if HP is a good choice. I believe I heard some people from my class and online saying HP wasn't that great.

I plan on keeping this new laptop for the coming years. I'd like to have it look professional and not the gaming look. I don't have the money for a €1000,- or more laptop. €799 is fine, €899 is already stretching it.

And what about the ASUS? Maybe I'm overlooking a great laptop. Hope some can give their impressions of using them and thought on the one I linked in here.

I'd have to say HP because of the gpu. You're not missing much from the vivo, which I just got for my mom, same model. Middling but adequate build quality, no keyboard backlit, lots of flex in keyboard. Don't get me wrong I love the thing for the $500 (USD) paid for it, but even my low end Dell 5000 Gaming laptop has much better build quality. Having said all that I have zero experience with the HP which could be similar in quality, but would also have the gpu and is cheaper on the website you listed.

Neither options look great for me. Pavilion laptops generally have mediocre build quality and QC. Vivobooks have OKish build quality (including screen, input devices, material used for chassis). Both of them usually have mediocre battery life.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Out of those 2, it's obviously the HP for the dedicated Nvidia graphics.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I did look around some other options, but I sadly cant find anything that is better then the two picks I have right now.