Experimental Peltire Cooler

oh no I'm not actually building this I thought you were, sadly I don't have a custom water loop or water loop all I have is a laptop on me since I'm in college and what better way to procrastinate for finals and reports than the internet.

I'm referring to the cold side of the Peltier device is it copper? Aluminium? Steel? Nickel? Titanium? Gold? Alloy of some sort?

4 minutes ago, Lefteh said:

oh no I'm not actually building this I thought you were, sadly I don't have a custom water loop or water loop all I have is a laptop on me since I'm in college and what better way to procrastinate for finals and reports than the internet.

I think its Nickle

image.png.1cca30abd83f8ce4485d4645220782ff.png

1 minute ago, Lefteh said:

I'm referring to the cold side of the Peltier device is it copper? Aluminium? Steel? Nickel? Titanium? Gold? Alloy of some sort?

My bad, its Block Base Made Of Hi-Quality Copper

Since Nickle has a higher specific heat it will be the bottlenecking factor assuming 100% efficient energy transfer from the waterblock. It doesn't mean it will bottleneck it in real life but its something to consider.

Ok if its copper lets say the water block is also copper so no worries then only thermal compound would be annoying.

Just now, Lefteh said:

Since Nickle has a higher specific heat it will be the bottlenecking factor assuming 100% efficient energy transfer from the waterblock. It doesn't mean it will bottleneck it in real life but its something to consider.

I will look into it and adjust my calculation to compensate for it base on the thickness

Just now, Lefteh said:

Ok if its copper lets say the water block is also copper so no worries then only thermal compound would be annoying.

I know experiment between thermal paste and thermal pads for the cold side and see which is better.

A liquid metal based thermal compound(liquid ultra) would be the best thermal paste to apply giving its copper on copper and galium doesn't erode copper.

11 minutes ago, Lefteh said:

A liquid metal based thermal compound(liquid ultra) would be the best thermal paste to apply giving its copper on copper and galium doesn't erode copper.

Thank you, i will add that to my list

Interesting, it's nice to see someone try out stuff like this.

I didn't read everything here carefully, but in the ideal case, wouldn't you want the peltier(s) to be cooling the cpu cold plate and water loop to cool the peltier hot side? Though it might be the case, that the peltier cannot transfer enough heat from the cpu under full load... 

The next option is what you seem to be doing, to use the peltier(s) to cool the water loop in place of normal radiators. Sure, then you could achieve below ambient water temps, but then you need to find out a way to manage the cooling of the peltier(s) hot side better than just using big water cooling radiators in the first place.

I'll be following how this goes anyhow :)

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

1 hour ago, Tam3n said:

Interesting, it's nice to see someone try out stuff like this.

I didn't read everything here carefully, but in the ideal case, wouldn't you want the peltier(s) to be cooling the cpu cold plate and water loop to cool the peltier hot side? Though it might be the case, that the peltier cannot transfer enough heat from the cpu under full load... 

The next option is what you seem to be doing, to use the peltier(s) to cool the water loop in place of normal radiators. Sure, then you could achieve below ambient water temps, but then you need to find out a way to manage the cooling of the peltier(s) hot side better than just using big water cooling radiators in the first place.

I'll be following how this goes anyhow :)

To answer your first paragraph. Putting the peltier on the cpu and have the loop cool it seems logical, but by logic and calculation its not practical. Take for example, your refrigerator works because when you close it, it creates a controled environment, which means there in only a temperature change when you open it or put something in. A cpu have erratice and uncontrollable temperature fluctuation and its difficult to create a control cooling environment that way. Yet cooling the loop that you know your idle and load temperture (mine is idle 24 DegC, full load 34 DegC) it is easier to calculate how much work the peltire have to do and the best possible efficency as you can see in my fiest set of graphs.

To answer your second paragraph. The device that i am creating will not be replaceing the custom loop, its its an add-on to the current loop. Its like putting a tubor on your car engine, the turbo do not replace the engine, it just add more performance. When you have time read through the post because these questions  where ask in i answered in details.