Upgrade from 6600k

What's my best choice? The only thing i do is gaming and web browsing. I don't want to upgrade but the 6600k is really starting to piss me off with awful bottlenecking in most games. I have a gtx 1080 and i play at 1440p/144hz. I wanted to upgrade to an 7700k a few months ago but decided to wait a little bit longer. Now new stuff came out and i'm lost.

6 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

What's my best choice? The only thing i do is gaming and web browsing. I don't want to upgrade but the 6600k is really starting to piss me off with awful bottlenecking in most games. I have a gtx 1080 and i play at 1440p/144hz. I wanted to upgrade to an 7700k a few months ago but decided to wait a little bit longer. Now new stuff came out and i'm lost.

you have a decent cpu, wait for the 9xxx series

2 hours ago, shawnhovde said:

you have a decent cpu, wait for the 9xxx series

I don't want to upgrade my GPU any time soon, i really lost my enthusiasm for upgrading my PC, i just want to game in peace. I can't do that with this CPU, it bottlenecks really bad in a lot of games. Battlefield 1 is unplayable, i really wanted to try AC Origins, i couldn't get 60fps even with the settings on low because the CPU was at 100% all the time. I don't want to deal with this anymore, i need a good option now. 

3 hours ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

I don't want to upgrade my GPU any time soon, i really lost my enthusiasm for upgrading my PC, i just want to game in peace. I can't do that with this CPU, it bottlenecks really bad in a lot of games. Battlefield 1 is unplayable, i really wanted to try AC Origins, i couldn't get 60fps even with the settings on low because the CPU was at 100% all the time. I don't want to deal with this anymore, i need a good option now. 

You have 2 options:

1. Upgrade to a 7700K without changing the motherboard.
  2. Upgrade to a new platform such as Z370 or AM4.

I myself upgraded to a 1700X from a 6600K because I had similar issues but in case your case I recommend going for a Z370+i7 8700K. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

5 hours ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

battlefield 1 shouldn't be unplayable with a 6600k and a 1080, and ac origins runs like trash even on really REALLY high end pc's.

2 hours ago, Kaita said:

You have 2 options:

I myself upgraded to a 1700X from a 6600K because I had similar issues but in case your case I recommend going for a Z370+i7 8700K. 

before I went x99 I tried upgrading to a 7700k on a z170, did a bios update, and with the 7700k in it, it only recognized 2/4 dims, and only one of my gpu's. I ended up returning the 7700k.

13 hours ago, Polakki said:

Battlefield 1 is unplayable with 6600k ?

Stuttering, massive FPS drops and the average is around 50-60. Not very good considering i have a 1080. The only thing that seems to be causing this problem is the CPU being at 100% all the time.

16 hours ago, Kaita said:

You have 2 options:

The 8700k and a Z370 Mobo are really expensive. Isn't the 1700x a better option? 

55 minutes ago, MrAlbertrocks said:

The 8700k and a Z370 Mobo are really expensive. Isn't the 1700x a better option? 

If price is an issue then yes, the 1700X is a better option. Is it worth it? Maybe not. If all you do is gaming and web browsing then i suggest keeping your 6600K and waiting for something better. Take a look at this video 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

On 12/1/2017 at 8:42 PM, Kaita said:

If price is an issue then yes, the 1700X is a better option. Is it worth it? Maybe not. If all you do is gaming and web browsing then i suggest keeping your 6600K and waiting for something better. Take a look at this video 

Let's say i have the money for the 8700k and the Motherboard, would i have to change my RAM? I have 16gb 2133mhz. I heard that i needed faster RAM if i wanted to take advantage of Ryzen's power, but i don't know if that's true. And i've considered waiting a little bit more but i figured that if i get the best gaming CPU right now, i would not have to worry about upgrading again for a very long time, specially if i'm not planning on changing my GPU any time soon.