System (but not audio) skips when streaming video

hughey7897

Hello,

Recently Ive been having an issue with Hulu and Netflix, but not YouTube, with streaming making my whole system skip. It skips about once a second every 5 seconds, even when paused, after having uninstalled some old useless apps. Before, it had skipped flat out about once a second. Uninstalling some things seems to have helped, but the problem persists, and its Only while streaming from these two sites (as far as I know. Havent used another streaming service). I don't have this problem while playing games or using any other apps on my computer. Does anybody know what could be causing this??? Ive looked everywhere, and it seems nobody else has had/ is having this problem. Help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, hughey7897 said:

Hello,

Recently Ive been having an issue with Hulu and Netflix, but not YouTube, with streaming making my whole system skip. It skips about once a second every 5 seconds after having uninstalled some old useless apps. Before, it had skipped flat out about once a second. Uninstalling some things seems to have helped, but the problem persists, and its Only while streaming from these two sites (as far as I know. Havent used another streaming service). I don't have this problem while playing games or using any other apps on my computer. Does anybody know what could be causing this??? Ive looked everywhere, and it seems nobody else has had/ is having this problem. Help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

what do you mean by "skip" ?
the audio keeps playing and you get a black screen ? 
the whole thing jumps ahead ?
the screen freezes but your audio keeps going (then it catches back ?)

perhaps your internet connection is having issues ?
is it buffering ?

what happens if you pause the video, wait like 30-40 seconds for it to load then keep playing it ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

2 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

the screen freezes but your audio keeps going (then it catches back ?)

That exactly, but only for a split second at a time. Its not system performance, as I have a pretty decent rig. And its not my internet connection either, because it loads and buffers the video quickly. I'm completely stumped.

CPU

FX 9590
  • Motherboard
    Asus Sabertooth FX 990 R2.0
  • RAM
    Crucial Ballistix 16Gb (2x8Gb) @2133 MHz
  • GPU
    Sapphire Radeon Fury X
  • Case
    Corsair Obsidian 750D
  • Storage
    2Tb WD Black
  • PSU
    Rosewill Photon 1050W

Huh, that PSU seems a little overkill for that build... But anyway, check if the disk and CPU activity is high in task manager.

9 minutes ago, Tosa said:

Huh, that PSU seems a little overkill for that build... But anyway, check if the disk and CPU activity is high in task manager.

Was planning on adding another Fury X down the line. Simply planning for the future. lol But this is whats going on as of right now. Next to no resources are being used aside from memory because Netflix.

Paused:

image.png.04c471d0334cc2b72d458f825cd47049.png

Playing:

image.png.b6caf00c8f269fdf26d0ab8b1ecd6087.png

So you're using Edge, eh? Have you tried with a different browser? I've heard Firefox just launched their biggest update yet, allegedly beating the socks off all the other browsers when it comes to performance. Another thing you could try is temporarily disabling Avast.

Also, dumb question, but it needs to be asked: Are you running more than one antivirus? Because that's a big no-no! That could cause things like this.

Yep! I hated IE and Chrome became annoying when my phone broke and I lost access to my email. Windows really outdid IE with Edge, if you ask me. But sadly the problem was also with chrome, where I first had the experience. And interesting. Firefox, to me, was always the browser to use for old laptops that had a hard time handling Chrome. I'm definitely going to check it out! And Ive went as far as uninstalling avast to fix this issue.

Avast is my only antivirus.

Installed Firefox and tried Netflix, and the problem persists.. :o

How about video drivers?

What version are you on? If not on latest version, try that.

If that doesn't work, try running DDU and then installing the latest driver.

Core i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz cooled by a Corsair H100i GTX
EVGA Z170 FTW w/ 16gb GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3333mhz
EVGA GTX980 SC @ 1501mhz
Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M w/ EVGA 1000 P2
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 512GB -- OS
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB -- games

Video drivers are up to date. Running version 23.20.788.0 right now.

Did you try the reinstall with DDU?

Core i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz cooled by a Corsair H100i GTX
EVGA Z170 FTW w/ 16gb GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3333mhz
EVGA GTX980 SC @ 1501mhz
Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M w/ EVGA 1000 P2
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 512GB -- OS
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB -- games