Sub 1000 USD First Time Build

drew6700

Hi all, just needed some advice on a first time future build. Specs are here: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/drew6700/saved/

Need some advice on intel 8400 vs amd 1600 (obviously I know that the 8400 is the immediate choice but in the context of cheaper AM4 mobos and cheaper 1080p AAA capability)

This might seem like a very stupid question to some of you experienced builders, but as this is my first, is the amount of USB ports on the case the exact amount that you can plug into? Like, are the case USB ports different than the IO USB ports. ie. A case advertising 2 USB ports has that in addition to whatever the mobo has, or? Dumb question, I know, but whatever. Thanks!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sP9h4C and just saying i bought windows 10 pro from ebay for 4 pound ////  6 dollars give or take - linked it to a microsoft account and havent ever had an incident. did this with my brother and dads pc aswell all good. I only paid 12 pound in total...

subscribe to pewdiepie

1 minute ago, Merp83 said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sP9h4C and just saying i bought windows 10 pro from ebay for 4 pound ////  6 dollars give or take - linked it to a microsoft account and havent ever had an incident. did this with my brother and dads pc aswell all good. I only paid 12 pound in total...

Not willing to take those risks, there's always the chance that you'll get scammed.

Just now, drew6700 said:

Not willing to take those risks, there's always the chance that you'll get scammed.

then you refund with ebay lol - for 6 dollars.... actually 5.50... and i wish i never got that gpu if u hacve more to spend- i dont like a toasty 78 degrees

subscribe to pewdiepie

My personal recommendation would be not to get the 212. The stock cooler AMD provides is beefy enough (unless you plan on doing heavy duty overclocking)

Frostbite (White build PC)

Spoiler

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic - Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz - Corsair H60 - ASUS GTX 1060 3GB DUAL OC @ (2130 MHz Core Clock + 4600 MHz Mem Clock)

2x8GB 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance C16 Corsair 400C White - EVGA 650 GQ

Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma - Sennheiser HD 598 SR - LG 24MP59G-P

7 minutes ago, katoptrys said:

My personal recommendation would be not to get the 212. The stock cooler AMD provides is beefy enough (unless you plan on doing heavy duty overclocking)

Yeah, I feel like the 1600 is a little underpowered for the 1060 6gb (just personal opinion) and I'll probably start with small overclocking and then get comfortable and move my way up. Also I'm planning a red and white theme so it adds to it.

I've got a 1600 and a 1060 3GB. Trust me, they go along perfectly. I've done small overclocking myself, just changing the multiplier and little tuning to the voltage. If you really want to, the 212 may shove off a few degrees but it won't be as big an improvement as a Dark Rock or a Noctua would do

Spoiler

MSI B350M Mortar Arctic - Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 GHz - Corsair H60 - ASUS GTX 1060 3GB DUAL OC @ (2130 MHz Core Clock + 4600 MHz Mem Clock)

Razer Deathadder Chroma - Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma - Sennheiser HD 598 SR - LG 24MP59G-P

40 minutes ago, katoptrys said:

I've got a 1600 and a 1060 3GB. Trust me, they go along perfectly. I've done small overclocking myself, just changing the multiplier and little tuning to the voltage. If you really want to, the 212 may shove off a few degrees but it won't be as big an improvement as a Dark Rock or a Noctua would do

I'm really cutting costs here, so the Noctua is off the table, but which Dark Rock would you recommend?

2 hours ago, drew6700 said:

I'm really cutting costs here, so the Noctua is off the table, but which Dark Rock would you recommend?

Dark rock is about the same price as the Noctua, it is the high end air cooler from Bequiet, so nevermind.

If it's a budget build... I'd say hold off on the 212 Evo, use the stock cooler for a while until you can get the Noctua DH-15. That is about as good as it gets.

Spoiler

9 hours ago, katoptrys said:

Dark rock is about the same price as the Noctua, it is the high end air cooler from Bequiet, so nevermind.

If it's a budget build... I'd say hold off on the 212 Evo, use the stock cooler for a while until you can get the Noctua DH-15. That is about as good as it gets.

Thanks!

16 hours ago, drew6700 said:

you can get a Reeven Justice for $42.50 and it performs on par with the better 240mm AIOs, it should fit the S340.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W