What monitor should I get? (144hz+ Refresh Rate Over G-sync at 60hz?)

Epicgeo43

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade from my Sony 4k TV 60hz to a 4k gaming monitor, but I have a few things to consider.

I have been looking mainly at the Acer Predator XB321HK - has great reviews, 4k, gsync, 60hz, and an ips panel.

The only question I have is: Is it better to get a 4k monitor at 144hz or above, or will 60hz with gsync be better?

10 minutes ago, Epicgeo43 said:

The only question I have is: Is it better to get a 4k monitor at 144hz or above, or will 60hz with gsync be better?

You won't find an ultra HD panel above 60Hz.

The only option is to lower the resolution to 1440p. Then you can go up to 144Hz or even 175Hz I think.

Which way you will be going should depend on the games you play.

For e-sport titles such as CS:GO or Overwatch I would recommend a 1440p 144Hz panel, but for single player games that focus on pretty graphics or for casual multiplayer games you will be better off with a ultra HD panel.

I'm pretty sure there aren't any 4k 144hz available at the moment. And when there is, you can bet your ass that it will also have g-sync.

If your real questions is what's better, 60hz with g sync or just 144hz, then it comes down to what games you play. I prefer g-sync as I like a smooth game, without tearing. if you play csgo you might prefer high refresh rate no matter what.

Holy moly what is your system!!???

4 way 1080 ti?

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

16 minutes ago, Hugsy Malone said:

I'm pretty sure there aren't any 4k 144hz available at the moment. And when there is, you can bet your ass that it will also have g-sync.

If your real questions is what's better, 60hz with g sync or just 144hz, then it comes down to what games you play. I prefer g-sync as I like a smooth game, without tearing. if you play csgo you might prefer high refresh rate no matter what.

See this is the thing, I have seen reviews on monitors with g-sync and people say that if you produce more than the refresh rate of the monitor then g-sync wont have much of an effect.

I am all about the smoothest gaming experience and play mostly slow paced story games on my pc in 4k (such as The Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and Batman Arkham Knight - its the main reason I bought a PC as i mainly play competitive 1st person shooter games on my PS4 Pro.

I was thinking about waiting until the first quarter of 2018 as there will be new monitors being released that will include both g-sync and be 144hz - I then realised that these types of monitor will cost more than most high end PC's so that dream kinda died haha.

However, if the Predator XB321HK can produce a quality and smooth gameplay experience with g-sync at 4k 60fps, then I guess that's my best bet for the types of games I play?

25 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Holy moly what is your system!!???

4 way 1080 ti?

Haha, I wish.

I use a single gtx 1080ti. I may go for sli at somepoint, thought I'd get the monitor out of the way first though haha.

1 minute ago, Epicgeo43 said:

Haha, I wish.

I use a single gtx 1080ti. I may go for sli at somepoint, thought I'd get the monitor out of the way first though haha.

1080 Ti is not even considered to be good for 4k 60hz gaming but its the best gpu on the market.

If i were you i will just get a 1440p 144hz ips panel with G-sync with that u'll have better color and more refresh rate which is good for gaming.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

1 minute ago, Epicgeo43 said:

See this is the thing, I have seen reviews on monitors with g-sync and people say that if you produce more than the refresh rate of the monitor then g-sync wont have much of an effect.

I am all about the smoothest gaming experience and play mostly slow paced story games on my pc in 4k (such as The Witcher 3, Fallout 4 and Batman Arkham Knight - its the main reason I bought a PC as i mainly play competitive 1st person shooter games on my PS4 Pro.

I was thinking about waiting until the first quarter of 2018 as there will be new monitors being released that will include both g-sync and be 144hz - I then realised that these types of monitor will cost more than most high end PC's so that dream kinda died haha.

However, if the Predator XB321HK can produce a quality and smooth gameplay experience with g-sync at 4k 60fps, then I guess that's my best bet for the types of games I play?

you are correct that in 4k the effective g-sync range is 30hz-60hz, so going above that can lead to tearing.
In that case I would either recommend an ultrawide 3440x1440 100+hz g sync monitor or a 4k g sync monitor. You'll be able to just up the graphical quality to ensure you stay around that 60hz mark and keep a nice smooth gameplay.

1 minute ago, Hugsy Malone said:

you are correct that in 4k the effective g-sync range is 30hz-60hz, so going above that can lead to tearing.
In that case I would either recommend an ultrawide 3440x1440 100+hz g sync monitor or a 4k g sync monitor. You'll be able to just up the graphical quality to ensure you stay around that 60hz mark and keep a nice smooth gameplay.

I usually maintain around 55 to 60fps in every game I play in 4k. The only issues I had was the fact that if you drop from 60fps on a 60hz TV or monitor, V-Sync would automatically drop the fps to 30fps and create a lot of microstutter even when playing at 60 fps. This is the reason why i turned to looking at a g-sync monitor.

My Main Objective, is to play games silky smooth at 4k without screen tearing or microstutter. - Its a big difference to me from playing in 4k to playing in 1440p however, this could be because I play on a 47inch 4k TV and PC monitors are usually smaller

5 minutes ago, Epicgeo43 said:

I usually maintain around 55 to 60fps in every game I play in 4k. The only issues I had was the fact that if you drop from 60fps on a 60hz TV or monitor, V-Sync would automatically drop the fps to 30fps and create a lot of microstutter even when playing at 60 fps. This is the reason why i turned to looking at a g-sync monitor.

My Main Objective, is to play games silky smooth at 4k without screen tearing or microstutter. - Its a big difference to me from playing in 4k to playing in 1440p however, this could be because I play on a 47inch 4k TV and PC monitors are usually smaller

Yep it sounds in that case you should definitely go for a 4k 60hz monitor with g-sync. tvs are really not ideal for gaming.
The only other option would be a lower resolution with higher refresh rate, but personally I don't see the point if you're just playing more casual immersive games.
My preference is for an ultra wide, but that's just me!

4 minutes ago, Hugsy Malone said:

Yep it sounds in that case you should definitely go for a 4k 60hz monitor with g-sync. tvs are really not ideal for gaming.
The only other option would be a lower resolution with higher refresh rate, but personally I don't see the point if you're just playing more casual immersive games.
My preference is for an ultra wide, but that's just me!

I agree that its probably best to get a 4k g-sync monitor, thanks.

I think I will have to go and see both monitors resolutions myself, just to be sure.

I do wish there was an ultra wide 4k g-sync monitor though haha.

One other thing I would like to ask, is if I were to upgrade my PC in the future, to support 2 or more gpu's, would a 4k 60hz monitor basically be useless, as my system at that stage, would most likely be able to produce over 60fps at 4k?

Well there's the Acer Z35p which is a 35" 3440x1440 120hz g sync monitor? Based on the fact it is twice the refresh rate, it will require more horsepower than a 4k 60hz one.

You may potentially become limited by the 4k monitor as you add 2 1080tis, but more likely games will just start to require more power so I wouldn't worry about it.
Personally I wouldn't bother with multi card setups as you rarely get the desired performance, plus extra micro stuttering. 

1 hour ago, Hugsy Malone said:

Well there's the Acer Z35p which is a 35" 3440x1440 120hz g sync monitor? Based on the fact it is twice the refresh rate, it will require more horsepower than a 4k 60hz one.

You may potentially become limited by the 4k monitor as you add 2 1080tis, but more likely games will just start to require more power so I wouldn't worry about it.
Personally I wouldn't bother with multi card setups as you rarely get the desired performance, plus extra micro stuttering. 

Thanks, so essentially stick to a one card set up with the 4k 60hz monitor with g-sync?