Moving mouse causes weird lag (no cpu or gpu spike)

Hi guys! I am having a strange problem here.

Hardware:

Crosshair VI Hero (WIFI)

Ryzen 1700

32GB Corsair RAM

ASUS Strix 1080ti

750W Corsair RM750x PSU

ASUS Gladius II mouse

How it happened:

The problem appeared half-way playing PUBG, so no changes were made to the hardware or software.

The game suddenly gets very laggy as soon as I move my mouse. Steam fps reports from 60fps down to 1-2 fps if I move the mouse violently.

Current Situation:

After that I have tried to restart the game, reboot computer, nothing helped, and the problem persists in other programs.

For example in heaven bench, the benchmark screen will slow down significantly if I move my mouse while running it. However, the internal counted fps rate count stays good (150-300 depending on scene)

It will also make youtube video lag if I move the mouse when playing.

If I move my mouse in the task manager window, it will actually freeze the graphs etc and everything is good as soon as I stop moving.

General operations appear to be slowed down and there is choppiness here and there.

No CPU spike or GPU spike observed when lagging, everything seems to run smoothly expect what is shown to me. CPU benchmarking score was unaffected even if I move the mouse and make the window lag.

Solutions tried:

Changing mouse did not help, but lower polling rate reduces the significance of the lag.

Uninstalling the ASUS ROG driver helped but did not solve the problem (I imagine it lowered the polling rate when there is no ASUS driver)

Safe mode does not have the issue, but I also have no driver there so I'm unable to test if it is just unnoticeable or if the problem disappeared

Killing all extra process in the task manager down to basics did not help

Resetting CMOS did not help

Unplugging all peripherals except mouse did not help

Gonna try reinstalling windows but I doubt it might be hardware related...

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

temps? check thermalpaste

also what iwould try if i were you diffrent usb ports diffrent psu and last diffrent mobo

i dont really believe this would be related to gpu/cpu/ram really.

might be broken mobo or psu, im not too sure.

Edited by bomberblyat

4 minutes ago, bomberblyat said:

temps? check thermalpaste

also what iwould try if i were you diffrent usb ports diffrent psu and last diffrent mobo

i dont really believe this would be related to gpu/cpu/ram really.

might be broken mobo or psu, im not too sure.

Reported temps are fine, problem persists when cold boot in the morning.

different usb ports did not help

I have no extra mobo or psu so do you think there might be a way to isolate the issue?

1 minute ago, bomberblyat said:

and also i recommend you to try other hdd/ssd!

I'll try that!

7 minutes ago, Sekishira said:

Reported temps are fine, problem persists when cold boot in the morning.

different usb ports did not help

I have no extra mobo or psu so do you think there might be a way to isolate the issue?

hmm if you dont have extra psu or mobo you can try check windows event viewer, but i still would reccommend to try other mobo and psu if you have friends with compatible parts. Also you can try cleaning usb ports with air or some its not guaranteed fix but it something that you can try

Just now, bomberblyat said:

hmm if you dont have extra psu or mobo you can try check windows event viewer, but i still would reccommend to try other mobo and psu if you have friends with compatible parts. Also you can try cleaning usb ports with air or some its not guaranteed fix but it something that you can try

I have just reinstalled windows and it seems smoother now with default windows drivers, but I am unsure if it disappeared all because there is still some small jittering if I do the mouse, but it is not as noticeable but something doesnt feel right. I am going to update all the drivers and see if the problem worsens again and report back!

6 minutes ago, bomberblyat said:

But may I ask how could this be related to psu? And which part of the motherboard might it be related?

Im thinking about stress testing some of them and see if I could create some other problems instead of purely relying on the mouse which is not the source of the problem

6 hours ago, Sekishira said:

But may I ask how could this be related to psu? And which part of the motherboard might it be related?

Im thinking about stress testing some of them and see if I could create some other problems instead of purely relying on the mouse which is not the source of the problem

Well on the motherboard im suspecting USB/PORTS area, and psu just might be faulty, ive had some USB issues with PSU.

6 hours ago, Sekishira said:

I have just reinstalled windows and it seems smoother now with default windows drivers, but I am unsure if it disappeared all because there is still some small jittering if I do the mouse, but it is not as noticeable but something doesnt feel right. I am going to update all the drivers and see if the problem worsens again and report back!

Goodluck !

So... while I was running through all the possibilities to isolate the problem, the problem somehow mysteriously disappeared.... hope it won't come back......

On 29.11.2017 at 8:51 PM, Sekishira said:

So... while I was running through all the possibilities to isolate the problem, the problem somehow mysteriously disappeared.... hope it won't come back......

Remember to mark this thread "solved"