home server Hardware/software suggestions

Hey

I am recently looking for a home server. But i dont know the prices in server hardware.

I would set up a VM with different OS (Redhat Enterprise, Debian, Windows Server).

The server would used as a router (mostly pfsense or open wrt) with a firewall; For the normal server applications like Teamspeak;LDAP;Open VPN; Apache;nginx; some game servers cs:go 7 days to die crysis Command & Conquer Call of Duty DNS server (dnsmasq)

For the Nas I will set up a samba server.

Thx for your help to find hardware and software

BLVCKRIPPER

PCMASTERRACE:

Intel Core i7 4790K @4,8GHZ | ASUS GTX 1080TI 11GB StriX OC @2 ghz | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | G Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16gb | 750 Watt Corsair Power Supply
Zalmann Z11 + | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 | 6TB + 500 GB HDD | 250GB SSD | 500GB SSD
Samsung SyncMaster S22B300B | Benq RL2455HM | Acer XF270HUAbmiidprzx
Zowie FK2 |Corsair K70 LUX MX RED | Razer Megalodon 7.1 Headset | Auna Mic 900B | XXL Mousepad from TrilluXe

SV:

AMD FX 4100 | MSI 760GMA-P34 | 1TB HDD | Intel PRO 1000 PT | 8GB DDR3 non ECC | 500 watt gold PSU | Xilence AMD 3+ cooler

if you are to set many VMs (as in more than 1) on one physical machine then you will need a multicore CPU definatelly, a ton of RAM and lots of disk space.

Since getting hardware (enterprise grade) can be quite expensive, I'd recommend to build your own server with high quality parts. If you can get your hands on a Xeon CPU and ECC ram even better. It will give you more reliability.

Also keep in mind that if you setup VMs with Linux as the guest OS, I highly recommend to set it up with console only and manage it with webmin and console, as GUI tends to be a resource hogger.

That way, you'll be able to save money instead of go and buy a new server, OR, you can check up on the net for refurbished previous generation servers. For the things you have to do, you don't need a State of the art machine.

Most of them are expandable regarding memory, NICs and hard drives.

If you need anything, let me know

You're talking about a lot of different services on one server and a bunch of different platforms. Interesting combinations here :)

First of all, why do you want PFSense, DNSmasq and LDAP specifically? Is your home router or modem not good enough?

Especially, if you want this server to function as a firewall for your network, you'll have to turn it into your primary network gateway for client devices in order to actually forward the traffic through the firewall. Also don't forget to disable DHCP on your ISP's router.

I'm not seeing much use case for Windows Server either, as most of what you intend to run is Linux based. I'm assuming it's for game servers only? If so, a client OS will suffice ;). I'd personally skip LDAP and use AD instead, but hey, that's just what I have experience with, I wouldn't touch LDAP with a 10 foot pole since I only manage Windows environments.

Any idea which hypervisor you want to use? ESXi? Proxmox VE? XenServer? Hyper-V Server?

I'm not seeing any major resource hogs otherwise. A basic 8-core Xeon setup with 32GB of RAM will probably do fine for you.

Edit:

Something like this:

https://www.servershop24.de/en/server/hp/dl-series/hp-proliant-dl380e-gen8-server-2x-xeon-e5-2450l-8-core-1-8-ghz-16-gb-ddr3-ram-2x-1000-gb-sas-7-2k/a-117801/

Just upgrade to 32GB or 48GB of RAM and you're set.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro