everything installing as 32 bit

Bigbootyjudy

Everything that I currently download on my recently purchased used laptop is installing as a 32 bit program. I checked and I have 64 bit (Windows 7). Every other windows pc that I've had that runs windows always installs the same programs that I'm downloading in 64 bit type. Is there a certain setting that is changing downloads to 32 bit? What am I not getting?

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

Can you give examples of what you're trying to install? Are you sure you're not installing a 32-bit version by accident? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Okay, your Windows is 64 bit and that's good.  But just because the operating system is 64 bit does not guarantee that all the software you download and install will be 64 bit.  Lets say I'm a game programmer and I know the game that I am producing will run on Windows 64 bit.  That's great because I also know that if I produce a game that will run on 64 bit Windows, then that game will also run on 32 bit Windows as the 64 bit version of Windows will also run the 32 bit as it is backward compatible.  But, If I know how to program the 32 bit and not the 64 bit, then my options are limited.  But that does not stop me from programming the 32 bit version.

Windows 64 bit will run the 32 bit software as it is backward compatible but 32 bit Windows will not run 64 bit software.

5 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Okay, your Windows is 64 bit and that's good.  But just because the operating system is 64 bit does not guarantee that all the software you download and install will be 64 bit.  Lets say I'm a game programmer and I know the game that I am producing will run on Windows 64 bit.  That's great because I also know that if I produce a game that will run on 64 bit Windows, then that game will also run on 32 bit Windows as the 64 bit version of Windows will also run the 32 bit as it is backward compatible.  But, If I know how to program the 32 bit and not the 64 bit, then my options are limited.  But that does not stop me from programming the 32 bit version.

27 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Can you give examples of what you're trying to install? Are you sure you're not installing a 32-bit version by accident? 

I know that not all software is going to be 64 bit but things like itunes and python installed as 32 bit when I know that there is a 64 bit version of both of them

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

17 hours ago, Bigbootyjudy said:

I know that not all software is going to be 64 bit but things like itunes and python installed as 32 bit when I know that there is a 64 bit version of both of them

But did you select to download 64bit versions? Many software default as 32bit.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

But did you select to download 64bit versions? Many software default as 32bit.

I did not. This was a computer that was used before though I did do a factory reset. If there is a setting for that I'll check if its set to 32 bit when I get home

The vast majority of applications are 32 bit. Unless an app is going to need more than 4GB of RAM, there is no point in developing a 64 bit version. It's more work for zero gain. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

19 minutes ago, Bigbootyjudy said:

I did not. This was a computer that was used before though I did do a factory reset. If there is a setting for that I'll check if its set to 32 bit when I get home

I don't know about Microsoft store, if you are talking about those settings. But every download you manually make, you will need to select 64bit installer. Otherwise it will default 32bit installer for most parts. There are handful of installers which include both versions and detect correct while installing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I don't know about Microsoft store, if you are talking about those settings. But every download you manually make, you will need to select 64bit installer. Otherwise it will default 32bit installer for most parts. There are handful of installers which include both versions and detect correct while installing.

ok, both python and itunes did not have the option for 64 bit in the installer though I do know that they have 64 bit versions. I don't really mind itunes but I'll probably update python

3 minutes ago, Bigbootyjudy said:

ok, both python and itunes did not have the option for 64 bit in the installer though I do know that they have 64 bit versions. I don't really mind itunes but I'll probably update python

iTunes offers me 64bit installer by default. Python idk, but there are double installers when you select Windows as "different" OS.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv