Browser notification setup improvement

Gronsak

Not really a feature suggestion but rather a quality of life improvement.

The way browser notification permissions are set right now means that you either have to block it, accept it or live with the constant spamming. Since it can be a bit of a hassle to remove a block in some browsers if you change your mind (looking at you Chrome) a way more elegant solution would be to have an in page prompt asking if you want to setup notifications.

This prompt should only appear once and should contain the information on how to set it up if change your mind later on.

While that might be a good idea it is not really a common problem. A page to select when you get messages (eg only with PM, comment reply, profile comment, FPC video, etc) could be nice though

This is how you change notification permissions in chrome. https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3220216?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en

Also please don't use black, it is impossible to read in the dark theme

Capture.PNG.fa4eceac3ff5e0c520b52b2d16816f3f.PNG

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

While I agree that it isn't really a common problem the fix is quite simple and it's pretty much the consensus that just straight away asking the browser for permissions is bad practice for several reasons so you shouldn't really do it that way in the first place. (I'm well aware of how you change it in Chrome)

15 minutes ago, Justin_ said:

Also please don't use black, it is impossible to read in the dark theme

Capture.PNG.fa4eceac3ff5e0c520b52b2d16816f3f.PNG

Is this normally an issue or was it just my post, didn't change any text colours but I did paste it into Google Docs and back since the new Firefox didn't have spellchecking installed by default (fixed now).

It could just be because you copied and pasted

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

Isn't it already working like that? First time you access page it asks if you want browser to send notifications or not. I don't quite understand how you want that to be improved, and if that even is possible as its browser side thing and not related to forum software.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

57 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Isn't it already working like that? First time you access page it asks if you want browser to send notifications or not. I don't quite understand how you want that to be improved, and if that even is possible as its browser side thing and not related to forum software.

Other sites let you opt into notifications without using the browser prompt first, so they can be less annoying, whereas the forum gets the browser to prompt you on every page that you visit until you accept them or block it outright (which can then be annoying to undo).

It's not something that I can change, but I will suggest it to the devs.

HTTP/2 203