Missed Black Friday but how about Refurb? Need Help!

FUR1AN

Hey everyone,

I had convinced myself I wasn’t going to snag a monitor during Black Friday because I didn’t have the cash but I have moved things around and found a way. Unfortunately I missed the good deals. With that being said I am really looking to get the following specs:

2560x1440

100hz +

IPS (I don’t want to deal with TN)

Gsync

i have found a refurbished Asus ROG PG279Q for $589 and am considering pulling the trigger. I know it’s a gamble getting a good one and would be okay with sending them back until I got a decent one.

Do you guys think it’s worth or should I hold out another month or two and try to snag something better? I probably only have around $600 to spend and even that is pushing it. 

I’ll be running 8700k coffee lake at 5ghz with a 1080Ti around 2ghz.

Thanks for the help

General nerd and I work in corporate finance. Happy to help!

Have you had a look on Newegg and Amazon etc? There's tons of deals still going on here in the UK.

Probably gaming or helping technophobes with tech...

4 minutes ago, wpowell13 said:

Hey everyone,

I had convinced myself I wasn’t going to snag a monitor during Black Friday because I didn’t have the cash but I have moved things around and found a way. Unfortunately I missed the good deals. With that being said I am really looking to get the following specs:

2560x1440

100hz +

Gsync

i have found a refurbished Asus ROG PG279Q for $589 and am considering pulling the trigger. I know it’s a gamble getting a good one and would be okay with sending them back until I got a decent one.

Do you guys think it’s worth or should I hold out another month or two and try to snag something better? I probably only have around $600 to spend and even that is pushing it. 

Thanks for the help

Ok so i thought about this too, i decided to just go with new because Newegg can sell you the monitors that people returned because of a bad panel i.e dead pixels, scratches, dents, bad back light etc. Also the ASUS one is more or less the same as the acer version (debatable) so for a extra 100$ or so you can get a new monitor of the same specs from Acer on newegg :)

9 minutes ago, wpowell13 said:

Hey everyone,

2560x1440

100hz +

Gsync

Thanks for the help

Where exactly have you looked because I found a ton on Newegg to your liking. You haven't specified the size however.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100160979 600255030 600338123 600417886 600486457 601115272 601191223 600012694 600554755&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=96

13 minutes ago, userzero said:

Have you had a look on Newegg and Amazon etc? There's tons of deals still going on here in the UK.

I have looked around but couldn’t really find any jaw dropping deals around $600.

9 minutes ago, Dreaper said:

Ok so i thought about this too, i decided to just go with new because Newegg can sell you the monitors that people returned because of a bad panel i.e dead pixels, scratches, dents, bad back light etc. Also the ASUS one is more or less the same as the acer version (debatable) so for a extra 100$ or so you can get a new monitor of the same specs from Acer on newegg :)

I have looked at the Acer but the new IPS version of the Predator is $700

6 minutes ago, userzero said:

I am looking for ideally 27” but could settle for 24”-25”

3 minutes ago, wpowell13 said:

I have looked at the Acer but the new IPS version of the Predator is $700

i found it for about 670 so 100$~ more or less i would recommend putting the extra money in to get it 

1 minute ago, wpowell13 said:

It’s a TN panel unfortunately. 

I would say just get a new one, then your dont have to worry about a bad panel cause you can just return and get a new one with the refurb you cant, if you read what newegg says about refurb it basically just has to work so it can be a bad panel every time 

3 minutes ago, userzero said:

I actually just saw this on Micro Center for $550! Does anyone know what the deal is with this monitor? Is it any good?

Looks banging! My bro in law just bought a beautiful 144hz AOC the other day. I went over to look at it and the quality is top notch.

10 minutes ago, userzero said:

Looks banging! My bro in law just bought a beautiful 144hz AOC the other day. I went over to look at it and the quality is top notch.

Cool. I may grab that one today. 

Alright guys, update here.

I picked up the monitor last night and did a rudimentary color calibration using RGB values provided by one of the websites suggested in Linus’ techquickie video.

The monitor looks great, easy to put together, and has decent mobility. But as with most all IPS monitors, it has the dreaded glow and light bleed. I will say however that based on what I’ve seen online as reference, my light bleed is fairly modest. It maybe extends an inch max towards the middle from 3 or 4 locations around the bezel. The glow is not obnoxious either so long as you sit at a reasonable viewing angle. No dead pixels either. 

The question remains, is it worth packing back up and returning for the chance at a better model (less light bleed...etc.) or should I stick with what I have? Micro center doesn’t have another model in stock so i’d have to wait for them to order me a new one.

I saw another video where 20 of the Asus ROG 27” gaming monitors were put side by side and examined for light bleed, over half had “above acceptable” light bleed. So it sounds like even the most expensive variants of these panels ($800) have the same problems, and it’s widespread.

Let me know what you guys/girls think.