TR 1950X VS Ryzen 7 1800X

Hi everyone. I have a few questions I hope you can help me with.

I'm doing my second pc build ever and I can't decide what I should go for. The only thing I know for sure is that I want to go AMD 

I have the Ryzen 7 1800x in an unopened box right here next to me , Is it worth returning it and spend the extra cash on the Threadripper 1950X ? ( the prise difference is $200 this week) 

I'm doing some video and photo editing but I also play a lot. How future proof is the ryzen 7 platform vs the threadripper platform ? 

Yeah sell the 1800X and buy a 1700 or 1700X. That is all you need. I promise you.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

$200 to basically double your CPU seems like a good value to me, assuming you need that kind of core count for workstation loads.  If not, you'd be better with something like a 8700k probably

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

AM4 and TR4 are both extremely new platforms, and therefore you can expect either of them to last at least a few years.

But I agree with @Orangeator. The 1800X really is a bad chip for the price - for similar performance, or the same if you overclock - a 1700 or 1700X is a much better deal.

If you can realistically say that you can utilise the extra 8 cores/16 threads and don't mind the lower potential clock speeds of the 1950X, then you might as well go for it for the extra $200. But if you think about what you actually do with your machine, you might very well be better buying a 1700 or 1700X instead.

Don't forget that you'd have to buy a much more expensive motherboard to support the threadripper chip too, so I doubt you can upgrade from 1800X and your AM4 board to a 1950X and a TR4 board for $200.

Others have said it already, but the 1800X may have the worst price/performance of any chip in the past decade.  It's worse than any I've ever seen.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440