Do I need PWM case fans?

ToXIc Dev

So im wondering whether I really need PWM case fans because I am under the impression that non PWM ones can just be voltage controlled because my current case fans are 3-pin and they can be controlled between 50-100% depending on the temperature.

8 minutes ago, ToXIc DevilZz said:

So im wondering whether I really need PWM case fans because I am under the impression that non PWM ones can just be voltage controlled because my current case fans are 3-pin and they can be controlled between 50-100% depending on the temperature.

your impression is correct. most 3 pin fans can easily be controlled in the 60%-100% range. PWM usually merely offers increased functionality ranges (some going as low as 20%). but no. you really don't need PWM for case fans. whether or not you want better case fans is up to you, but to make that decision solely on using 3 pin or 4 pin fans is largely irrelevant.

4 hours ago, Zyndo said:

your impression is correct. most 3 pin fans can easily be controlled in the 60%-100% range. PWM usually merely offers increased functionality ranges (some going as low as 20%). but no. you really don't need PWM for case fans. whether or not you want better case fans is up to you, but to make that decision solely on using 3 pin or 4 pin fans is largely irrelevant.

Thanks, I am thinking of getting the be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 Non PWM because of their low noise level (I know I can get some noctuas for even lower noise but I dont want to spend £20 on one fan)

It depends on your personal preference, and mobos ability to control fans too. 3pins have controls in 40-100% range. With older mobos and Speedfan you can do 0rpm mode, but that means that fans would ramp directly to 40-50% from 0rpm mode. With PWM fans the curve would be much smoother as it would ramp up from 0rpm to 5% to 10% and so on.

If mobo has full PWM support, aka all headers have native PWM controls, I would get PWM fans.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, ToXIc DevilZz said:

Thanks, I am thinking of getting the be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 Non PWM because of their low noise level (I know I can get some noctuas for even lower noise but I dont want to spend £20 on one fan)

you do you man. case fans do not typically make as much a difference as people would like to believe they do. so if you want those fans and they make you happy without breaking the bank then it sounds like a good plan to me.