What is the best mobo for i7 8700K?

wojwen

I'm buying an i7 8700K and I obviously need a new mobo. I was looking at聽MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC, but I'm not sure if it's an optimal choice. I might overclock the CPU in the future, so the overclocking support is quite important for me. What can you recommend?

The Carbon is a decent midrange thing.

Asus Strix boards are similiar.

Also, there is MSI M5 and ASRock K6, those are worth looking at too.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

3 minutes ago, wojwen said:

I'm buying an i7 8700K and I obviously need a new mobo. I was looking at聽MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC, but I'm not sure if it's an optimal choice. I might overclock the CPU in the future, so the overclocking support is quite important for me. What can you recommend?

What is your budget聽

QUOTE ME TO SEE MY REPLY!:D

19 minutes ago, ScrappyZeDog said:

What is your budget聽

Around the cost of the聽MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC, I don't know how much it costs in us.

14 minutes ago, wojwen said:

Around the cost of the聽MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC, I don't know how much it costs in us.

I believe it is around 180~ usd on newegg.

I've heard that people OCing the 8700k on ASUS Z370 boards have been having major issues with CPU overheating (>80C). So if you plan on overclocking, which if you're getting the 8700k, you should, I'd stick to other manufacturers until ASUS releases new boards. I'm an ASUS fanboy and although it hurt, I forced myself to go with an MSI SLI Plus board. I have no regrets.

I was looking at different MSI motherboards and found聽MSI Z370 Tomahawk. Is there any meaningful difference between these two other than special features (WiFi, multiple M.2) like overclocking or overall performance?