Should i switch to linux?

29 minutes ago, jakeeberhart said:

this is partially wrong.... while you can't use photoshop you can use gimp... you can run about 95% of windows applications in wine.... linux gaming is not fantastic right now they are working on making it better and it is getting better every day.... if you are a gamer I would recommend dual booting linux and windows because windows is better for gaming, but in my opinion linux is better for everything else

i used to say the same, but only if you are knowledgeable about it and know how to use a terminal, or fix broken nvidia drivers..

in fact, i can't even get the nvidia stuff to work right on linux on my laptop...

She/Her

8 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i used to say the same, but only if you are knowledgeable about it and know how to use a terminal, or fix broken nvidia drivers..

in fact, i can't even get the nvidia stuff to work right on linux on my laptop...

What linux distro are you using because most are easy to get working with nvidia drivers. I use linux mint 18.2 and it works flawlessly with my nvidia gpu. one mine i just went to my driver manager and installed what it recommended. 

14 minutes ago, jakeeberhart said:

What linux distro are you using because most are easy to get working with nvidia drivers. I use linux mint 18.2 and it works flawlessly with my nvidia gpu. one mine i just went to my driver manager and installed what it recommended. 

the problem isn't the gpu itself. the issue is that if i put it in nvidia mode, i get horrible screen tearing. in intel graphics mode, everything is fine.

She/Her

On 11/24/2017 at 10:48 PM, firelighter487 said:

the issue is that if i put it in nvidia mode, i get horrible screen tearing. in intel graphics mode, everything is fine.

Ah yes, that.  I had the same problem.  Here's the solution that worked just fine for me:

Open the Nvidia settings program and save your settings.  That will create the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file

Edit that file with elevated privileges (sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf , or sudo pluma or whatever your text editor is)

Near the end of the file you will see a line that says

Option "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0"

Change that to

Option "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"

Save the file, close your editor and reboot the PC/laptop.

13 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Ah yes, that.  I had the same problem.  Here's the solution that worked just fine for me:

Open the Nvidia settings program and save your settings.  That will create the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file

Edit that file with elevated privileges (sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf , or sudo pluma or whatever your text editor is)

Near the end of the file you will see a line that says

Option "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0"

Change that to

Option "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"

Save the file, close your editor and reboot the PC/laptop.

tried that, didn't work. it has something to do with the specific configuration in my machine, according to many hours of google searching.

She/Her

On 24.11.2017 at 2:48 PM, ChaosJ said:

Does linux have a UI? 

All OSs have a UI.

Write in C.

Amd runs better than nvidia when it comes to supporting standards instead of making your own the open source driver runs great on new cards i have a rx560 and i never touched the closed source driver 

also linux is great i have been using it almost exclusively since 2002 it has come a long long way since then but if you professionally use photoshop or other windoes only software either don’t switch or run windows in a vm for the apps you miss. 

Many games already run on linux but not all and probably not a lot of what people look for. I have tomb raider, shadow of mordor, civ v and vi among others. They all run well on my 560 (cpu is ryzen 7)

regarding performance i push the gpu to the limit with a 4k screen and a 1080 screen. In games i usually dial down to 1440p but I’m not much of a gamer so can’t talk about how they perform except to say they are playable.i can’t compare to windows either sorry

on the other-hand Performance in my daily tasks with eclipse java and loads of browser tabs is just awesome.

Usability in linux is IMHO unbeatable i use a very specialized desktop environment (i3) which makes me very fast and efficient in findings what i need and i often find myself typing i3 shortcuts at my windows machine at work. i would however for a starting point recommend KDE or GNOME they are easy to use and very powerful.

I use KDE on my laptop almost in vanilla configuration I just switched the theme and it is usable out of the box (sensible set of packages to get you going)

the hardware driver situation is pretty good by now as well. The only thing i would stay away from is hybrid graphics they still suck. Windows only bios updates on some laptops are also evil stay away from these.