Should i switch to linux?

Does linux have a UI? as in i've been using windows all my life and was wondering if i should switch just for fun. will i able to do all the same thigns, load the same software (steam discord, origin, photshop, and anti viruses and what not) comfortably? Is it easy to adapt to it? any major differences i should be wary of?

The only time i don't run linux is when I am gaming. You just have to find a distro you like. I would give you a more detailed answer but im starting my shift in 5 minutes.

And yes there are UIs available so its not purely command-line.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

i would say no.

Linux does not support Windows applications.

gaming on linux is not great, photoshop is a no-go, etc, etc.

if you have a compatible machine, and all your games and software work with it, then go ahead. but this is very unlikely.

She/Her

Quite frankly the only reason to run linux being realistic is because you can't afford a Windows license and won't run it inactive because the tiny watermark bothers you.

For someone greatly used to Windows that knows already what to expect from it and edit it to your needs going to Linux can be a bloody nightmare far from enjoyably or fun.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Switch outright? No. But definitely try it. There's so much to explore. Fire up a tutorial on making a virtual machine and install it.

8 minutes ago, ChaosJ said:

Does linux have a UI? as in i've been using windows all my life and was wondering if i should switch just for fun. will i able to do all the same thigns, load the same software (steam discord, origin, photshop, and anti viruses and what not) comfortably? Is it easy to adapt to it? any major differences i should be wary of?

Origin, no. Photoshop, no. Antiviruses, no. Steam, yes, but most games, no.

I've been using Linux since the 90's and I totes dig it as a server-OS, but it's not really worth it on the desktop for a modern gamer.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

14 minutes ago, ChaosJ said:

Have a play with it but there's no point in switching from windows for it put it on a bootable flash drive no harm done.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

If i was you, i wouldnt really switch, only if its a demand. Yes, it has a UI and alot more less ram/cpu usage than windows ( around 500-1000mb while ive used it ), but theres just things l dont like about it. Maybe i just was dumb, but i couldnt install programs without looking up how to do it, and didnt even know how to set up a .sh file to run a small MC server for me and my friends. Well, to be honest, its your opinion on what you like more.

If you are really into self teaching and computers then switching to linux "for fun" can actually be pretty fun. For a windows user who thinks they can be getting something better? Just stick with windows. Linux has some great tools and other features that are really cool and incredibly useful but for an everyday user its just not worth the hassle, even if you are using one of the more 'friendly' distros like Ubuntu

4 minutes ago, Julian2000nl said:

Note: This forum is 99% PC Gamers who don't know better than MS Windows.

I am a daily Linux user, unlike most people in this thread.

Q: Does Linux have a user interface?
A: Yes! You have different Desktop enviorments that vary in design, performace and customizability. Most modern Linux based operating systems include a desktop enviorment. Ubuntu runs GNOME, Linux Mint lets you choose between Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE or KDE. Ubuntu looks the most stylish in my opinion but it can be hard on older & slower hardware. MATE and XFCE really shine when it comes to performance, whilst Gnome 3 and KDE Plasma 5 really shine in style.

My desktop (Ubuntu 17.10):

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.ea7180f88104d2e1d41e2dbf22e63b6f.png

Q: Will my software be compatible?

A: This is where a lot of people get confused, so let me explain. Software like Discord and Steam run without issue. Software like Photoshop and MS Office do not run on Linux, but good alternatives are available(Krita and Libreoffice is what I use). I am not sure if Origin works with Linux.

Applications designed for Windows obviously not work on Linux straight out of the box, however there is a piece of software available called Wine which runs many Windows applications without the use of VM's so you still get great performance. Wine supports many games too, but not all. GTA 5 does not work in Wine for example, but some developer guy managed to get it running a while back so I'm sure soon enough most AAA games will work in Wine. I run Game Dev Tycoon and Civ 5 in Wine which run with more FPS than when I ran them straight on Windows.

Q: Antivirus? I do not see Antivirus available for Linux? What do?

A: The reason Windows needs antivirus is because of design flaws that allow viruses to run and break stuff easily. You do not need an antivirus on Linux. Every time you run something as administrator(root) you have to put in your password, without root priveledges viruses can't do a whole lot of damage. Even if you have a virus, just kill the process and uninstall the package. 

Q: Is it easy to adapt to it?

A: Linux is very easy to learn and it can be really useful. In my own words; Windows threats it's users like little kids, you don't really need a functional brain to use it. However something like Ubuntu is really user friendly whilst still giving you access to a lot of advanced stuff. Once you start to get the hang of it you'll learn more and more and more! You'll learn things like Bash, APT/DPKG, compiling software, how to use the terminal efficiently, GPL Software license/Open source. You learn at your own pace, and you decide how deep you want to learn.

My 11yo sister uses Ubuntu every day without using the terminal as she doesn't get that, she never needs assistance from me unless she's installing software because she isn't an administrator. Anyone can adapt to Linux in their own way, that's the beautiful thing about it.

To install Ubuntu you download the ISO from here, then use Rufus to write it to a USB, boot it and install it. It's easy.

You can also use Linux Mint which is less stylish/modern looking, but is way lighter. Ubuntu and Linux Mint are all based on Debian, so they all work similar. Linux software works on any distro, however the most common installer is .deb which is a package for Debian based systems.

I hope you enjoy Linux! I promise that once you've adapted to it you don't want to go back. It's way more stable, secure and better in general. Oh and with Vulkan, native Linux Gaming will become huge in not too much time.

Any questions? Quote or DM me.

too long; didn't read: Linux is better than Windows and you should use it.

This really helps. Linux sounds exciting honestly. I think Ill boot it on a secondary system and start from there. Because while all these challenges sound fun to me, id be heartbroken were i to loose out on my gaming experience. So either ill use a dual bot or a second machine (dual boot more likely) :) thanks a tonne

If you have an old laptop or something you should download it on that. I don't see Linux as a primary OS that someone uses that and only that, despite being open source it's very restricted in what you can do with it due to developer support for their software for Linux. There is wine which is basically a windows emulation within Linux but that's not really a viable trade off if you already have a windows machine

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Julian2000nl said:

Note: This forum is 99% PC Gamers who don't know better than MS Windows.

I am a daily Linux user, unlike most people in this thread.

*snip*

I've been interested in switching to Linux and have been dabbling in it once in a while in a virtual machine, but the last time I actually installed it proper on my PC(like 3 or 4 years ago?), I kept having to go through the terminal, which was a massive pain in the ass, to do what I'd consider very basic things, did that change since?

Like is driver support better on Linux now? Last I tried it, there were practically no drivers for my GPU back then and couldn't get the resolution higher than 800x600 through the GUI, which required me to fiddle around in the Terminal to change the resolution, for reasons.

Even something as simple as installing a software, often required me to play around in the terminal.

For example, I wanted to install Wine, but in the synaptic manager the version at the time was 1.6, if I wanted the latest 1.7.x I had to got through the terminal, enter some command to change the repository/sources (I think that's what it was? I can't remember)

Then there's softwares that are only available as "source code" so you have to compile them before installing them... in the terminal.
And what killed it for me, was the community, if you dared to ask a question before going through dozens of forum pages to "find the answer" (or "RTFM"), they'd basically act like elitist assholes like "why don't you know this stuff? even kids know this!" and what not.

Overall, even if you say Windows treat their users like kids, at least they don't force their users to go through command line at every little thing, it just work. (and when it doesn't, blame microsoft, on Linux you can't do that)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I've installed Ubuntu 17.10 onto a laptop, Which I basically use for streaming Netflix for my daughter, because i was annoyed at how much resource WIN10 used and kept lagging the stream.

Plus gives me the option to really play with it on a physical device, As i currently have Mint/Ubuntu installed on a VM. 

But I would advised try it on a VM first

Gaming Rig:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X @ 4.1GHz All Cores - Ram: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE - GPU: 5600XT MSI Gaming X - Storage: Samsung EVO 840 250GB - 2TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

HTPC Rig:
CPU: i5 6400 - Ram: 16GB - GPU: 970 GTX - Storage: 120 Kingston SSD & 2x 1TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

48 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Like is driver support better on Linux now? Last I tried it, there were practically no drivers for my GPU back then and couldn't get the resolution higher than 800x600 through the GUI, which required me to fiddle around in the Terminal to change the resolution, for reasons.

Even something as simple as installing a software, often required me to play around in the terminal.

For example, I wanted to install Wine, but in the synaptic manager the version at the time was 1.6, if I wanted the latest 1.7.x I had to got through the terminal, enter some command to change the repository/sources (I think that's what it was? I can't remember)

Then there's softwares that are only available as "source code" so you have to compile them before installing them... in the terminal.
And what killed it for me, was the community, if you dared to ask a question before going through dozens of forum pages to "find the answer" (or "RTFM"), they'd basically act like elitist assholes like "why don't you know this stuff? even kids know this!" and what not.

Driver support has improved, especially if you have a nVidia card.

Heck, I just did a fresh install of Mint Mate 18.2 yesterday on my TR system.

Here how easy it is on that OS: open Driver Manger, click the radio button for the driver you want, click Install.  Restart computer, bam!  You good to go.  You no longer have to blacklist the nouveau drivers (thank goodness).

The distros have changed with nice improvements the past year or two.

On the community thing, I never went over to the Linux community boards.  I tend to hang out with folders and boincers who use Linux.  That bunch tend to be way more helpful with Linux issues.

To the OP, you can run Linux easily off a CD/DVD or USB or VM.  So, you can either load up different distros to try out without overwriting your current OS.  You don't even need big USB sticks (I loaded Mint 18.2 on a 2GB stick with no problems).

I tend to flip between my main rig on W7 and my 24/7 F@H/BOINC rig which is on a Linux distro.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Driver support has improved, especially if you have a nVidia card.

I have AMD.. so.. RIP?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

5 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I have AMD.. so.. RIP?

I will have to look.  I know of one big AMD Folder over on OCN that if I remember right runs the majority of his cards on a Linux distro.

If I had an AMD card on hand, I do a quick check on Mint.

But, I did find this from AMD themselves on install proceedure for the Pro Drivers.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-Install.aspx

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

If you plan to game on said pc linux is pointless, otherwise I'd recommend it specifically linux mint if you want a similar setup to windows

If linux had proper support for gaming and a few other choice programs I would switch instead of choosing 10 but it doesn't so I use windows 7

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

4 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I have AMD.. so.. RIP?

Your card is old so you have a chance at least, vega would be shit out of luck for instance

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 hour ago, AresKrieger said:

Your card is old so you have a chance at least, vega would be shit out of luck for instance

Well I suppose I have nothing better to do this weekend than to try this out myself.
Just gonna backup everything with Acronis first so I can restore thing quickly if I truly end up disliking the experience.

edit : Scratch that, remembered I have an old HDD laying around, will just pop it in my hotswap bay and install it on that, this way, the rest ain't gonna be touched.... Will just unplug my SSD, just in case it tries to fuck with the bootloader on it.

Just now, TetraSky said:

Well I suppose I have nothing better to do this weekend than to try this out myself.
Just gonna backup everything with Acronis first so I can restore thing quickly if I truly end up disliking the experience.

Yeah it's worth a try, frankly software support is its achilles heel and though this is improving MS's ubiquitous use makes it a crap shoot at best, I won't use it as a main OS until games on it are prevalent so windows 7 is where I'm staying.

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

edit : Scratch that, remembered I have an old HDD laying around, will just pop it in my hotswap bay and install it on that, this way, the rest ain't gonna be touched.... Will just unplug my SSD, just in case it tries to fuck with the bootloader on it.

That would be the best way to go about it.  I use the same trick really, I have an SSD with Windows in my hotswap bay. 

Just keep in mind that you're using an SSD for Windows and a HDD for Linux.  If you feel that Linux feels slower than Windows, it's simply because a HDD is just terribly slow once you're used to the responsiveness of an SSD.

Use linux for everything except games. Well, now that certain people with a low moral fiber are using flatpaks for games, maybe that will pick up too?

Just put windows on a seperate ssd, and use qemu/kvm.

AMD gpus are great on linux, plug one in and boot linux. Thats it, no Nvidia binary blob that breaks to deal with. 

edit: julian2000nl tl;dr is spot on ?

if (c->x86_vendor != X86_VENDOR_AMD)

setup_force_cpu_bug(X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE);

for gaming your going to be limited for sure, source games, many indy game will work but as for AAA nothing based on frostbite, no battle.net games, no COD, so you can its just a lot less. 

(I run linux on 1 pc and 1 server)

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

6 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i would say no.

Linux does not support Windows applications.

gaming on linux is not great, photoshop is a no-go, etc, etc.

if you have a compatible machine, and all your games and software work with it, then go ahead. but this is very unlikely.

this is partially wrong.... while you can't use photoshop you can use gimp... you can run about 95% of windows applications in wine.... linux gaming is not fantastic right now they are working on making it better and it is getting better every day.... if you are a gamer I would recommend dual booting linux and windows because windows is better for gaming, but in my opinion linux is better for everything else