[URGENT] GPU Recommendation currently got RX480

koji

First of all here's how my build looks like.

BI4k9fZ.jpg

I got Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB. It works fine. I undervolted it. My problem only is that it reaches 72C. Which I do not like because it's kinda hot in my room and it's adding up to the heat.

Now I'm thinking to sell the RX 480 for $270. It's a pretty fair price here in my area. Actually I already have a potential buyer in 2 hours. Now, is there a card either GTX 1060 or RX480/580, that is either (black or white) that will give me temperatures below 65C? (No Gaming X please since it doesnt blend well with my build).

Please only suggest GPU. I dont have extra budget for getting a new case or changing the location of my PC. Thanks for every feedback I will get. I appreciate it.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X | MOBO: Gigabyte B550 Vision D | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision D | PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W

Do you realize that the heat output (watts) is what is going to affect how it heats your room, and not the temperature it reaches equilibrium at?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Do you realize that the heat output (watts) is what is going to affect how it heats your room, and not the temperature it reaches equilibrium at?

Thank you for responding..

Sorry I do not quite get it. The PC is right next to me and I kinda feel the heat radiating from my case. And when I hold the case which is a think metal inwin 303, it's really hot.

I know 72C is fine since I've played with 80C cards before but this time I am looking for comfort.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X | MOBO: Gigabyte B550 Vision D | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision D | PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W

I’m no expert, but I don’t think there are any 1060s or 480/580s that can run below 65c (full load) on air. I mean, maybe if you undervolt it and run the fans at full blast, maybe, but I really don’t see a point in selling the 480 you have now for something else.

Riptide

Spoiler

| CPUi7 9700K @4.8GHz | Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code | Cooler - NZXT Kraken X52 | RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB @3600MHz | GPU - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid @2.1GHz | Storage - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB; Samsung 850 Evo 1TB; WD Black 2TB | Power Supply - EVGA G3 1000 Watt (with CableMod Cables) | Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG (Anthracite Gray) | Case Fans - Too many Corsair ML120 Pro fans :P |

Peripherals

Spoiler

| Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Platinum with Cherry MX Brown switches | Mouse - Logitech G Pro + Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum | Audio - Sennheiser PC37X + GSX 1000 |

2 minutes ago, koji said:

Thank you for responding..

Sorry I do not quite get it. The PC is right next to me and I kinda feel the heat radiating from my case. And when I hold the case which is a think metal inwin 303, it's really hot.

I know 72C is fine since I've played with 80C cards before but this time I am looking for comfort.

What I mean is if a card consumes 200 W, it's putting 200 W of heat into your room.  That happens whether the chip is sitting at 5 C above ambient or 50.

So if you get another 480 or something else that can run at 65 instead of 72, well, that might be good for the chip, but if the card consumes the same amount of power, it will heat your room just as much.

Now without knowing more about the cards in question and the settings, etc. you can't know for sure if they will actually consume the same amount of power, but that's a separate issue.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

correct me if i am wrong but those fans facing the camera now at the bottom

are they just facing a glass panel???

if they are then they are not doing any cooling if there are no vents

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

What I mean is if a card consumes 200 W, it's putting 200 W of heat into your room.  That happens whether the chip is sitting at 5 C above ambient or 50.

So if you get another 480 or something else that can run at 65 instead of 72, well, that might be good for the chip, but if the card consumes the same amount of power, it will heat your room just as much.

Now without knowing more about the cards in question and the settings, etc. you can't know for sure if they will actually consume the same amount of power, but that's a separate issue.

I see, thank you. I've read on the internet that Gaming X 1060 are a well designed card that can attain below 65C. Maybe that was wrong?

1 minute ago, dragoon20005 said:

correct me if i am wrong but those fans facing the camera now at the bottom

are they just facing a glass panel???

if they are then they are not doing any cooling if there are no vents

It has around 3.5 inches gap from the glass panel. They're exhausting the heat since I can feel the hot air going out on the other side when I go full load.

7 minutes ago, KSP said:

I’m no expert, but I don’t think there are any 1060s or 480/580s that can run below 65c (full load) on air. I mean, maybe if you undervolt it and run the fans at full blast, maybe, but I really don’t see a point in selling the 480 you have now for something else.

Thank you. But I've read that Sapphire RX 480 got bad design. And there are some with XFX GTR claiming they're getting significantly lower temperatures so this idea hit me.

the early RX480s are similar to the R9 390/X in terms of heat output

the heating and stability issues have since been resolved in the refreshed RX 580s

but if you are want a AMD GPU that runs at 65 degrees is kinda far fetch

TDP is the reason why your room is heating up

not the GPU temps

if you want a cooler room

you either need to lower your CPU and GPU clocks or extreme cases undervolt your computer

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

9 minutes ago, koji said:

I see, thank you. I've read on the internet that Gaming X 1060 are a well designed card that can attain below 65C. Maybe that was wrong?

I mean, my Fury can attain below 65 if I crank the fans up.  Tbh, I'm not sure why you're so focused on the core temp.  Sure, lower is better, but ever card is designed to handle a certain range and low 70s are fine for any of them.  What is the goal, to reduce the heat in your room?  If so, you want the most efficient card, which, coincidentally, is probably the 1060 anyway, but that should be the focus :P

18 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I mean, my Fury can attain below 65 if I crank the fans up.  Tbh, I'm not sure why you're so focused on the core temp.  Sure, lower is better, but ever card is designed to handle a certain range and low 70s are fine for any of them.  What is the goal, to reduce the heat in your room?  If so, you want the most efficient card, which, coincidentally, is probably the 1060 anyway, but that should be the focus :P

Thank you sir.