Upgrading from Ryzen 5 to Ryzen 7

I've never upgraded from one processor to another in any system, but with the "Black Friday" deals, I was able to move from a Ryzen 5 1600 to a Ryzen 7 1800x for under $100.

If I swap out the CPU (and add a Noctua) is there anything else I need to do in the UEFI/BIOS, or will the system just recognize the new CPU and reset itself to defaults?

5 minutes ago, donalgodon said:

If I swap out the CPU (and add a Noctua) is there anything else I need to do in the UEFI/BIOS, or will the system just recognize the new CPU and reset itself to defaults?

Yup, that should be it. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

9 minutes ago, donalgodon said:

I've never upgraded from one processor to another in any system, but with the "Black Friday" deals, I was able to move from a Ryzen 5 1600 to a Ryzen 7 1800x for under $100.

Well, its supported on the same platform, AM4 in this case, so no issues should occur. Your motherboard will recognize the CPU straight away. Esentially, you will need to tweak settings for overclocking at your desire to do so, such as the voltage, clockspeed, etc.

Related question. I am not looking to push my OC, I'm more interested in finding a balance between performance and low temps.

AS I understand it, XFR doesn't work on Ryzen 7 when manually overclocked, but does XFR also get disabled when manually undervolting?

(I run my 1600 OC'd to 3.7 GHz manually undervolted to 1.15 volts, so it's a good chip and runs cool) 

11 minutes ago, donalgodon said:

Related question. I am not looking to push my OC, I'm more interested in finding a balance between performance and low temps

You could save a ton of money if you buy an R7 1700 instead of an 1800x and then just overclock it yourself. performance will be the same and thermals will be very close.

I also can't see a 3.7GHz oc actually being stable on a 1.15v undervolt... are you actually doing anything with it or just running Microsoft Paint simulator?

be aware that 1800X may fry your VRM if you have a cheaper board

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

6 minutes ago, dave_k said:

From the VRM tests I've seen on my board specifically, (AsRock AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX ) it only really heats up to the point of becoming an issue when pushing voltage beyond stock, and my plan is to stick with stock voltages and undervolt as much as possible for temps, hence, my question regarding XFR and manual undervolting.

8 minutes ago, donalgodon said:

From the VRM tests I've seen on my board specifically, (AsRock AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX ) it only really heats up to the point of becoming an issue when pushing voltage beyond stock, and my plan is to stick with stock voltages and undervolt as much as possible for temps, hence, my question regarding XFR and manual undervolting.

Put a fan over it cause the VRM is garbage

8 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Put a fan over it cause the VRM is garbage

Referencing comments at timestamp 16:23 from the video above, specifically, and given that I will be at stock voltage (or under it) and that I have 3 case fans, I'm not too worried, but I do appreciate the advice.

If I wanted to specifically cool the VRM, however, how would I even "put a fan over it"?

10 minutes ago, donalgodon said:

Referencing comments at timestamp 16:23 from the video above, specifically, and given that I will be at stock voltage (or under it) and that I have 3 case fans, I'm not too worried, but I do appreciate the advice.

If I wanted to specifically cool the VRM, however, how would I even "put a fan over it"?

You should be worried about it, because -X chips run at higher voltage at stock 1.3V+.

They stress the VRM significantly more than classic 1700 when both at stock.

Ask @Streetguru, he has a degree from putting fans on the VRMs of garbage boards.

And some of the things bz said in the video should be ignored, because he didn't know how extremely hot these boards run.

8 minutes ago, dave_k said:

You should be worried about it, because -X chips run at higher voltage at stock 1.3V+.

They stress the VRM significantly more than classic 1700 when both at stock.

Ask @Streetguru, he has a degree from putting fans on the VRMs of garbage boards.

And some of the things bz said in the video should be ignored, because he didn't know how extremely hot these boards run.

Have you used the AsRock AB350M Pro4?

If I wanted to undervolt it, wouldn't the potential for VRM heat issues be mitigated?

46 minutes ago, donalgodon said:

Keep in mind that video was released in April and he's done a followup video on how much of a VRM overheating problem all B350 boards have when overclocking Ryzen 7. I don't remember much about your Ryzen 5 undervolt or how you verified stability while overclocked, but it does sound like you had an exceptional CPU handmade my God him/herself:D. You may not have that kind of luck two times in a row.

I'd definitely recommend leaving it at stock voltage, or undervolting if possible. And I'm pretty sure Core Performance Boost (controls Precision Boost and XFR) is automatically disabled on our boards when you manually enter a CPU frequency. This is done regardless of the CPB bios setting, and I would assume voltage as well.

Do note that our ASRock AB350(m) boards don't have VRM temperature sensors. If you're using the Noctua cooler we've spoken about, you should already have the stock Wraith Spire sitting somewhere collecting dust. Hook it up. Ziptie it somehow to blow directly onto your VRM Heatsink. It definitely couldn't hurt even if you are undervolting.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

42 minutes ago, donalgodon said:

AsRock AB350M Pro4

I have used better boards that were still garbage.

43 minutes ago, johndms said:

Keep in mind that video was released in April and he's done a followup video on how much of a VRM overheating problem all B350 boards have when overclocking Ryzen 7. I don't remember much about your Ryzen 5 undervolt or how you verified stability while overclocked, but it does sound like you had an exceptional CPU handmade my God him/herself:D. You may not have that kind of luck two times in a row.

I'd definitely recommend leaving it at stock voltage, or undervolting if possible. And I'm pretty sure Core Performance Boost (controls Precision Boost and XFR) is automatically disabled on our boards when you manually enter a CPU frequency. This is done regardless of the CPB bios setting, and I would assume voltage as well.

Do note that our ASRock AB350(m) boards don't have VRM temperature sensors. If you're using the Noctua cooler we've spoken about, you should already have the stock Wraith Spire sitting somewhere collecting dust. Hook it up. Ziptie it somehow to blow directly onto your VRM Heatsink. It definitely couldn't hurt even if you are undervolting.

I'm actually stable at 1.15 Volts and 3.7 GHz with my particular Ryzen 5 1600 (various benchmarks/stress-tests, etc.) so I'm happy with it. I just thought it would be a nice bump up to the 1800x if I adopted the same philosophy of undervolting as much as possible to find the sweet spot, even if I can't push the clock speed.

Do you think it will be a problem? I'm not really able to change boards at the moment, so my b350 will have to suffice for now, but I don't want to damage anything. It may be "garbage," as dave_K put it, but it's the only real option I have at the moment.

1 minute ago, donalgodon said:

Do you think it will be a problem? I'm not really able to change boards at the moment, so my b350 will have to suffice for now, but I don't want to damage anything.

I would assume the board would be fine as long as you're not increasing the voltage to 1.4v in a poorly ventilated case. Standard Disclaimer, lol (I might not know what I'm talking about). The thing that worries me is the lack of VRM temperature sensor, so you'll never know if you're sitting at 125c or 80c at full load. I've overclocked my 1600 to 3.9 at 1.4125v and I'm still thinking of putting my old Wraith Spire inside to blow directly on the VRM heatsink. Better safe than sorry.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

2 hours ago, dave_k said:

he has a degree from putting fans on the VRMs of garbage boards.

And it lets me pass firestrike at 3950mhz on a PoS VRM, not bad for the money.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 hours ago, donalgodon said:

1600 OC'd to 3.7 GHz manually undervolted to 1.15 volts

What the fuck kind of golden silicon do you have?

*Actually I can pass 3700 at 1.2V, so not too bad I guess, that's at 6 cores on my 1700, guess I never realized how much dropping cores can help stability. But still 1.15V seems pretty good.

Just put a fan on the VRM, you should be fine.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

13 hours ago, johndms said:

When I looked in HWiNfo64, the sensor area lists a VRM temp on my board, but I removed the side panel and touched the VRM heatsink and it's COOL, so I really doubt that this is an accurate reading. It literally didn't even feel warm to the touch.

2017-11-24_000821.jpg

7 hours ago, donalgodon said:

When I looked in HWiNfo64, the sensor area lists a VRM temp on my board, but I removed the side panel and touched the VRM heatsink and it's COOL, so I really doubt that this is an accurate reading. It literally didn't even feel warm to the touch.

That's listing fake temperatures because there's no actual sensor. Mine stays at 29c regardless of load.

22 hours ago, dave_k said:

Only if he'll oc it (and overvolt)...otherwise no problem.

6 core chips are also fine on a b350.

But yeah, if you plan to oc an 8 core ryzen, a good mobo is a must. 

2 minutes ago, Binder said:

Only if he'll oc it (and overvolt)...otherwise no problem.

But yeah, if you plan to oc it, a good mobo is a must. 

Nope, R7 X chips will fry it even with no overclocks. They naturally run at higher voltages (over 1.3V)

I will respectfully disagree with you. Sorry.  A decent b350 with air cooling that blows partially on the vrm, and good case ventilation should have no problem whatsoever in running 1800x @stock, specially for casual use/gaming.