What should I go to?

I7-860
Go to solution Solved by Septimus,

Need more performance? Go with Ryzen. You'll get more life out of your motherboard because of the socket support. If you don't really need the performance, stick it out until the second Zen architecture to see how well AMD refines it, or what Intel offers at the same price point.

Intel Core i7-4790K  goes for 270 dollars on ebay, Is that a good deal or should I go for Ryzen 1700?

( I edit 1080p video and play games in 1080p, If that helps at all)

(this is in the future  not right now but just curios what to do, Right now I have the i7-860 , so should I overclock that to 4ghz and be good ?

Need more performance? Go with Ryzen. You'll get more life out of your motherboard because of the socket support. If you don't really need the performance, stick it out until the second Zen architecture to see how well AMD refines it, or what Intel offers at the same price point.

^^^^

I think the "Wait for the next architecture" argument is usually silly. You can wait, but when the next architecture does come, people will say "Wait for the anext architecture" again. And again. And the cycle will never end. If you need a PC now, then buy now. As far as 4790k vs 1700 goes... If you're paying the same amount of money for both of them, get the 1700. The platform is newer. Does more things. However, remember you still have to buy a motherboard and some RAM. Used DDR3 for the Haswell will be much cheaper than new DDR4, which is hugely inflated right now. The motherboard will probably be cheaper too.

Also, of you want to game at 120Hz+, get the Haswell.

In the end, it probably doesn't really matter that much though. Everything will be better than the trusty 860.

1 minute ago, NowThatsDamp said:

I think the "Wait for the next architecture" argument is usually silly. You can wait, but when the next architecture does come, people will say "Wait for the anext architecture" again. And again. And the cycle will never end. If you need a PC now, then buy now. As far as 4790k vs 1700 goes... If you're paying the same amount of money for both of them, get the 1700. The platform is newer. Does more things. However, remember you still have to buy a motherboard and some RAM. Used DDR3 for the Haswell will be much cheaper than new DDR4, which is hugely inflated right now. The motherboard will probably be cheaper too.

Also, of you want to game at 120Hz+, get the Haswell.

In the end, it probably doesn't really matter that much though. Everything will be better than the trusty 860.

I can partly agree with you on the "New Architecture" thing. But if you do wait you should buy them as soon as they come out. My philosophy is if it is more than a 2 month wait, get them now. If they will come out in 2 months then wait.

16 minutes ago, I7-860 said:

Is that a good deal

No

Ryzen 7 is pretty damned good for the money, 1800X's are currently around $319

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

No

Ryzen 7 is pretty damned good for the money, 1800X's are currently around $319

Agreed but the 1800X is just a binned 1700X. In my opinion its not worth $60 for 200mhz.

Just now, Judd said:

Agreed but the 1800X is just a binned 1700X. In my opinion its not worth $60 for 200mhz.

May be worth it as it's basically guaranteed to hit near 4ghz under reasonable voltages.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?