Seeking Advice for a $3000 Gaming Build with an IPS Monitor

LinuxTechTits

Hey folks! I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for a build and peripherals. I'm looking to spend roughly $2500-$3000 which will include everything except for mouse and keyboard. For the monitor, I will want an IPS. I’m having trouble getting a gaming build that will run well with an IPS monitor. I know for a $3000 budget, it's enough to play 4k at a bare minimum. However, I'm not going to upgrade my PC for at least a couple years so I don't want to be stuck playing at 4K at the bare minimum for a few years. Thus, what do you think I should stick with for this budget? Will 2K gaming on an IPS monitor be the best option for the future? I will be playing a lot of next-gen graphic intense games. However, I'm not going to be OC'ing much. Also, I have an MSI service center very close to me, so I think I will have that as my GPU.

I would greatly appreciate recommended builds or just some comments on my insight. Thank you.

Personally I would go for gaming at 1440p. 4k is neat but still isn't running great for games even on nice computers. 1440 looks awesome and you will be able to do it at a much higher refresh rate which for a lot of people is worth the trade off

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

I think WQHD(2560*1440) monitor is a great choice for gaming.I think you wont need 3k for a future proof build that can handle every game you throw at it 800-900 for a 1080TI 400 for an I7 8700K 300 for a decent motherboard 100-150 for a nice case. And then are you into custom water cooling, because it can be pretty expensive but i have no experience with such stuff otherwise another 80-100 for a high end cooler and 150-300 i guess for some decent ram damn ram prices are hell atm i would go for 16 GB but you can also go for 32 GB but i dont see any reason for 32 atm. Storage? I dont know i would go for some SATA ssd´s. You can also go for m2/pcie boot drive for OS but since the i7 8700K still only has 16 pcie lanes you would have to go with 8x on your graphics card. But from what i heared it has 0 to 0,5% lower fps as a result so not that big deal. You could also then go for the x299 platform to have some more lanes if you need wicked fast storage.  

You can get a 1080 Ti build for ~$1600-1800, so that leaves a lot of room for the monitor. You could get a 1440p 16:9 165Hz or a 21:9 100 Hz monitor, depending on what you want

:)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KL7WWX  $3125 at time of post.

If you can not spend anything over $3000 swap the 1080 Ti for a plain 1080 from MSI, but I would save up the difference for the 1080 Ti.

I went with a low profile down firing cpu cooler as you said you will not be overclocking much.  If you ever want to OC you can repurpose this cooler to a smaller build like a HTPC or small server

3 hours ago, Striker579 said:

If you can not spend anything over $3000 swap the 1080 Ti for a plain 1080 from MSI, but I would save up the difference for the 1080 Ti.

I went with a low profile down firing cpu cooler as you said you will not be overclocking much.  If you ever want to OC you can repurpose this cooler to a smaller build like a HTPC or small server

Thanks! Looks good! What other suggestions for the monitor? I think I might go with 1440p 144hz because it gives me a better future-proof build. 4k 60hz sounds nice, but I don't think it's that future-proof with my budget.

6 hours ago, Striker579 said:

The only thing i would change is the cpu cooler. she might not be overclocking but she could get a dark rock 2 for $10 more and keep temps and noise down and still have the ability to overclock in the future