Student Laptop Upgrade

ive got a Probook 6470b with 8 gb of ram i-5 3210m 2,5 ghz with intel 4000 series graphics. not to mention 120 gb SSD

When would be a great time to upgrade when it is used as a student pc?

Depends on what you are going to be using it for.

If you are just gonna do some googling and running light programs for education like readcloud then keep your laptop.

If you are going to be doing work on CAD programs and other heavy workloads i reccomend something quite powerful

i reccomend something with 16gb ram, quad core cpu and dedicated graphics with 3gb minimum vram.

might be a bit pricey

1 minute ago, Preston builds said:

Depends on what you are going to be using it for.

If you are just gonna do some googling and running light programs for education like readcloud then keep your laptop.

If you are going to be doing work on CAD programs and other heavy workloads i reccomend something quite powerful

i reccomend something with 16gb ram, quad core cpu and dedicated graphics with 3gb minimum vram.

might be a bit pricey

im using it for very light programs, there is no rendering and such involved  i also made a mistake on accidentaly installing the wrong windows when i swapped the harddrive. im running windows 32-bit............. i know its silly

Just now, GoldenLag said:

im using it for very light programs, there is no rendering and such involved  i also made a mistake on accidentaly installing the wrong windows when i swapped the harddrive. im running windows 32-bit............. i know its silly

oof, you are definitely going to need to reinstall that windows.

For very light programs with no rendering or anything of the sort your laptop should be absolutely fine, that ssd will really help with things. I really don't think you should think about upgrading to be honest. If you really want to upgrade then maybe just add some more ram i guess.

That cpu is up to 3.2Ghz and has 4 threads so it will handle fine for light programs.

8gb ram will be enough for the next few years but will eventually need to be upgraded.

Your SSD will definitely make the laptop feel a lot quicker than it would with a hard drive.

I do not reccomend buying a new laptop but if you insist on upgrading then maybe just chuck some more ram in there.

1 minute ago, Preston builds said:

oof, you are definitely going to need to reinstall that windows.

For very light programs with no rendering or anything of the sort your laptop should be absolutely fine, that ssd will really help with things. I really don't think you should think about upgrading to be honest. If you really want to upgrade then maybe just add some more ram i guess.

That cpu is up to 3.2Ghz and has 4 threads so it will handle fine for light programs.

8gb ram will be enough for the next few years but will eventually need to be upgraded.

Your SSD will definitely make the laptop feel a lot quicker than it would with a hard drive.

I do not reccomend buying a new laptop but if you insist on upgrading then maybe just chuck some more ram in there.

ill fix the OS during my summer break. cant be bothered during the school year. Thanks for the tips. i might be looking into getting a used surface laptop in a couple of years

Just now, GoldenLag said:

ill fix the OS during my summer break. cant be bothered during the school year. Thanks for the tips. i might be looking into getting a used surface laptop in a couple of years

no worries, good luck and surface laptops are great for students.

make sure you get that OS sorted out xD