CPU: How do I stop CPU Auto OCing?

helloukw

Hello,

My i5-760 is overclocked by default. Is this related to ram frequency?

I have an old Asus P7P55D motherboard and 4 sticks of 2gb DDR3 ram clocked at 1600 mhz. 

I've noticed the CPU fan spins a lot faster than the first few seconds since boot so I've checked with CPU_Z and noticed its overclocked. I've attached a printscreen.

I've reset the bios to default and the CPU still overclocks, do I have to do the settings manual?

Thanks,

ukw

cpu.png

18 minutes ago, helloukw said:

Hello,

My i5-760 is overclocked by default.

Incorrect sorry

Is this related to ram frequency?

Not at all. 

I've noticed the CPU fan spins a lot faster than the first few seconds since boot so I've checked with CPU_Z and noticed its overclocked.

CPU fan spin-up at start is totally normal. Dont worry about it or get a quality pwn cpu fan so it vecomes less noticeable. 

As @it_dont_work said your CPU os not OC, just turbo boosting. 

Dont turn that off imho. 

I've attached a printscreen.

I've reset the bios to default and the CPU still overclocks, do I have to do the settings manual?

You could technically, maybe, disable intel boost but its not recommended imho. 

Hope this helps ;)

If you *really* want to run it only at stock speeds - even though as @it_dont_work said this is a normal function of your processor - you'd have to go into your bios and disable "turbo boost".

It really isn't recommended though. The cpu itself knows if it's running too hot and simply wont boost. You're seeing higher speeds at boot because the cpu is cooler, under less load, and therefore able to clock higher.

For what it's worth, your cpu is the first generation to do this. Every generation since yours does it and to a much higher degree - mobile processors can sometimes boost 1ghz+ from their stock speeds, and modern desktop processors go 600+mhz+ above "listed" if cooling is available. It's a core part of modern computing that you'll eventually have to get used to.

Thanks for the input, I didn't realise it could be just the turbo boost.

I've cleaned the CPU fan and the fins of the radiator, but the fan still spins pretty high, around 2900 rpm, I guess it needs better cleaning or maybe a new thermal paste. I'm gonna monitor CPU temps to be sure that is all fine.