Motherboard and 12V ATX Pins

Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,

Older CPUs didn't need more than a 4 pin for power. More modern ones use an 8 pin. If you're doing a project with an older system like me, you only need 4 pins for the CPU. If you're building a newer PC that's newer than ~2010 or so you'll need 8 pin power.

Some CPUs like Threadripper and Kaby Lake-X need dual 8 pin power but I'm guessing you're not planning on getting those.

I am really new to all this and I am really confused on what does the motherboard with the 12V ATX 8pin or 4pin power connector used for? I know its partly for powering the CPU but why, when and how do i select between 4 pins and 8 pins ? If its solely for the CPU , when do i choose 4 or 8 pins?

Older CPUs didn't need more than a 4 pin for power. More modern ones use an 8 pin. If you're doing a project with an older system like me, you only need 4 pins for the CPU. If you're building a newer PC that's newer than ~2010 or so you'll need 8 pin power.

Some CPUs like Threadripper and Kaby Lake-X need dual 8 pin power but I'm guessing you're not planning on getting those.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Oh. Thanks. I would like to know why are they still selling so many 4 pins ATX for newer generation boards even though of what you just mentioned above? They are also compatiable with I7 7 Gen...

Examples: PRIME B250M-PLUS, PRIME B250M-C, PRIME B250M-A

Side note: I am planning to use a Micro Motherboard

6 minutes ago, ThreatZone said:

Oh. Thanks. I would like to know why are they still selling so many 4 pins ATX for newer generation boards even though of what you just mentioned above? They are also compatiable with I7 7 Gen...

Examples: PRIME B250M-PLUS, PRIME B250M-C, PRIME B250M-A

Side note: I am planning to use a Micro Motherboard

Micro as in a micro ATX(mATX) size board?

I'm pretty sure the 8 pin power connectors for CPUs these days are sold in 4+4 pin connectors is to add support for older hardware. The size of your board doesn't change whether or not you need a 4 pin or 8 pin connector, that's determined solely by CPU.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Yes. Micro ATX size board. I am aware that there is 4+4 Pins but how can i tell the different whether i need boards that have 4 pins or 8 pins? Is there a gauge or instruction to get any assurance on this? As stated on my previous post, I am trying to get I7-7000 Intel core but if i were to pick any of that boards for gaming will it cause me and any problems?

Note: Motherboard: -----------
         Core: I7-7700
         CPU fan cooler: Cryorig H7; $59
         Ram: Corsair 8GB Vengeance LPX 2400MHz x2 OR Kingston 8GB HyperX Fury x2
         GPU: GTX 1080 OR GTX 1060
         PSU: Cooler Master Elite Power 400W
         Hard Drive: WD 1TB Blue , maybe +SSD

Okay . Ignore my previous post, I figured that all new PSU has 4+4 Pins. Thanks for the help Crunchy Dragon. (: