Which motherboard for 8700k

Go to solution Solved by Princess Luna,
1 minute ago, heyitstony said:

Should I be going for the 8600k instead?

Of course, as long as you're the type to focus things without multi-tasking far too much the i5 8600k with its powerful single threads will always help and do wonders at compiling your programming.

Also gaming wise this processor is perfectly capable of maxing out the GTX 1070 in any scenario thereafter you have no reason to get the more expensive i7 8700k at all.

This motherboard as @dave_k has mention is not ideal having overclocking in mind specially if you'd get the i7, however for the i5 it should suffice to have fun with regardless, perhaps though if you like the looks and extra features of the Asus Z370-A you could put the saved money from getting the i7 for the i5 and afford this nicer board.

Gaming wise the i7 8700k will only give you more frames than the i5 8600k when you have a GTX 1080 Ti installed in the system, even Vega64 is a bit of a meh to make sense with, and your workload won't directly benefit from enabling hyper-threading.

Hey there guys, I'm sure this has been asked about a million times but...Does anyone have any good mobo suggestions for the 8700k.

I live in Canada and almost everything including the 8700k is in stock right now(probably not for long). I was looking at the GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 but I honestly have absolutely no idea what I should be looking for. I don't care about any Wifi cards and when it comes to M.2 SSDs, I doubt I'll ever have more than 1-2.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Edit: Just a side question...I mainly plan on gaming but do some video game development along with heavy programming. Should I be going for the 8600k instead? I have a 1070

Actually any BUT that one: it's known to have significant issues with VRM overheating:

I'd pick reasonable priced Asus: they also had their issues but for someone who plans to overclock they shouldn't be as relevant.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, heyitstony said:

Thanks a lot in advance

What form factor would you like? this is the first step into learning what kind of motherboard you want, since you're not the type to use a lot of stuff maybe you want something more compact like microATX? There is even smaller mini-ITX and full sized ATX and a few variants you could see about it in youtube and all.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Actually any BUT that one: it's known to have significant issues with VRM overheating:

I'd pick reasonable priced Asus: they also had their issues but for someone who plans to overclock they shouldn't be as relevant.

Oh really...From my search, I've been seeing everything having problems except for that board...Clearly I'm not very good at searching :P 

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

What form factor would you like? this is the first step into learning what kind of motherboard you want, since you're not the type to use a lot of stuff maybe you want something more compact like microATX? There is even smaller mini-ITX and full sized ATX and a few variants you could see about it in youtube and all.

Although aesthetics aren't a huge deal, I am wanting something that looks somewhat decent and is a bit larger. I don't really care about RGB or all that stuff but I want something semi-decent looking.

I'd go for the Maximus X Hero

Gaming 7 has awful VRM heatsinks and the VRM overheats

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

I'd go for the Maximus X Hero

Gaming 7 has awful VRM heatsinks and the VRM overheats

I was looking at the Maximus X but felt it was a bit overpriced at $340 CAD pre tax. Cost itself isn't a huge issue as long as it's worth it in the end...But yeah thanks I'll stay away from the Gaming 7

4 minutes ago, heyitstony said:

Although aesthetics aren't a huge deal, I am wanting something that looks somewhat decent and is a bit larger. I don't really care about RGB or all that stuff but I want something semi-decent looking.

You should go for the Asus Prime Z370-P ^^

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Oh that's perfect, cheaper and seems to have decent reviews. Thanks :)

Also just a side note, not sure if I can ask an extra question in the same thread but I threw an edit at the end of the question.

I mainly plan on gaming but do some video game development along with heavy programming. Should I be going for the 8600k instead? I have a 1070. Like I said, money isn't a huge issue if it's worth it at the end

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

it would explode with 8700K

such shitty VRM

Oh that's perfect, cheaper and seems to have decent reviews. Thanks :)

Also just a side note, not sure if I can ask an extra question in the same thread but I threw an edit at the end of the question.

I mainly plan on gaming but do some video game development along with heavy programming. Should I be going for the 8600k instead? I have a 1070. Like I said, money isn't a huge issue if it's worth it at the end

Dont go with the Z370-P, get Z370-A instead

2 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Dont go with the Z370-P, get Z370-A instead

Hmm alright thanks, I'll look more into this before I pull the trigger.

Should I be going for the 8600k instead?

Of course, as long as you're the type to focus things without multi-tasking far too much the i5 8600k with its powerful single threads will always help and do wonders at compiling your programming.

Also gaming wise this processor is perfectly capable of maxing out the GTX 1070 in any scenario thereafter you have no reason to get the more expensive i7 8700k at all.

This motherboard as @dave_k has mention is not ideal having overclocking in mind specially if you'd get the i7, however for the i5 it should suffice to have fun with regardless, perhaps though if you like the looks and extra features of the Asus Z370-A you could put the saved money from getting the i7 for the i5 and afford this nicer board.

Gaming wise the i7 8700k will only give you more frames than the i5 8600k when you have a GTX 1080 Ti installed in the system, even Vega64 is a bit of a meh to make sense with, and your workload won't directly benefit from enabling hyper-threading.

Personal Desktop":

6 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I'm probably quite the opposite. I multi task far too much :P Kills my 3570k right now. And yeah for gaming I figured it wouldn't help too much. I'll try to make up my mind to see whether I should get the 8700k or 8600k. Thanks a lot.