NH C14 with 7700K throttling.

Pistaful

Hi all!

I am running a 7700K at stock, with a Noctua NH C14.
When I run prime95 the temperature ramps up to 100C and the cpu throttles at 4,3 Ghz.
My case has one 12cm intake fan and one 12cm fan that blows out.
Is this normal?
Should I try a better thermal paste? I can add another intake fan to my case. Could that help?
Could adding a second fan to the heatsink help?

Are you sure it correctly mounted?

My own build: RΛZΞR theme

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Video Card: MSI Armor gtx 1070 OC 8GB // RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz //  

SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500GB // HDD: 2x WD yellow edition 2TB //

Case: NZXT H440 RAZER edition // Power Supply: Corsair RM550x //         

Operating Software: Windows 10 pro 64-bit

Idle is 42C at around 3% usage.
I think i have mounted it properly. But I haven't cleaned the thermal paste leftover from the last cpu.

10 minutes ago, Pistaful said:

Hi all!

I am running a 7700K at stock, with a Noctua NH C14.
When I run prime95 the temperature ramps up to 100C and the cpu throttles at 4,3 Ghz.
My case has one 12cm intake fan and one 12cm fan that blows out.
Is this normal?
Should I try a better thermal paste? I can add another intake fan to my case. Could that help?
Could adding a second fan to the heatsink help?

adding an additional intake and a second fan to your cpu cooler will definitely help.

the thermal paste that came with your noctua cooler is good thermal paste, use that. 

i would re apply thermal paste and make sure the old paste is completely cleaned off. 

your idle temps seem high. what's the ambient temperature in your room?

1 minute ago, Pistaful said:

Idle is 42C at around 3% usage.
I think i have mounted it properly. But I haven't cleaned the thermal paste leftover from the last cpu.

Make sure you quote someone :D

If you have thermal paste left around I would suggest replacing it and be extra carefull when mounting 

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Just now, Walt said:

Make sure you quote someone :D

If you have thermal paste left around I would suggest replacing it and be extra carefull when mounting 

What's the best thermal paste?

If you need to order new thermal paste I think most people buy 'Arctic Silver 5' but I'm not sure. Correct me if I'm wrong

noctua's thermal paste is very good, just like their coolers and fans.

it should be the stuff that came with your cpu cooler. NT-H1

It turns out it is the case. If I remove the cover the temperature lowers.
I moved a fan and it's a bit better.
Prime 95's small FFT test is unrealistic anyways.

First, don't run P95. It's old stress test which is known to heat newer Intel chips. Use other software, like OCCT, Aida64 and Asus RealBench.

Second, what are your voltages while it heats up? Clocks don't really raise tenps.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 21/11/2017 at 5:51 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

First, don't run P95. It's old stress test which is known to heat newer Intel chips. Use other software, like OCCT, Aida64 and Asus RealBench.

Second, what are your voltages while it heats up? Clocks don't really raise tenps.

Hi!

Thanks for the reply! I use the cpu at stock voltage and frequency. Prime 95's small fft test is the only application that raises temperatures to 100C, so I decided not to care about it, cause real life usage doesn't raise it above 80.
Maybe there's even some headroom for overclocking, but i'm a bit afraid of voiding the warranty.

53 minutes ago, Pistaful said:

Hi!
Thanks for the reply! I use the cpu at stock voltage and frequency. Prime 95's small fft test is the only application that raises temperatures to 100C, so I decided not to care about it, cause real life usage doesn't raise it above 80.
Maybe there's even some headroom for overclocking, but i'm a bit afraid of voiding the warranty.

The voltage is set to Auto by default so it can vary greatly. Use CPU-Z to monitor your core voltage under load.

Oc'ing settings are kept on the motherboard and there's no way to know that a CPU was oc'ed after it's removed. Oc'ing is fine as long as you don't voltages too high and keep temps in check.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.