Black Desert Online worth?

Walt

Hi everyone,

Together with a friend we're planning on buying Black Desert Online. But when we started reading reviews it had a lot of bad reviews.

People played over 2.000 hours but still say it's a bad game. Can someone clarify this? Is it like only grinding?

Thanks!

PS: I know it's only 10 euro's/dollars but just wanted to now :D

My own build: RΛZΞR theme

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Video Card: MSI Armor gtx 1070 OC 8GB // RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz //  

SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500GB // HDD: 2x WD yellow edition 2TB //

Case: NZXT H440 RAZER edition // Power Supply: Corsair RM550x //         

Operating Software: Windows 10 pro 64-bit

Personally I think it's fantastic, but I think you have to get a guild and friends to enjoy it fully.

Also, don't buy it unless you like grinding. Think D3, but more grinding :D

1 minute ago, KianFitz said:

Personally I think it's fantastic, but I think you have to get a guild and friends to enjoy it fully.

Also, don't buy it unless you like grinding. Think D3, but more grinding :D

To be truthfull, I nevere really played a good grinding game xD

Do you maybe have another game advise? I really like medieval games with magic  like witcher 3.

Thanks!  

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Just now, Walt said:

Do you maybe have another game advise? I really like medieval games with magic  like witcher 3.

Thanks!  

Sorry, you're asking the wrong person for medieval games. I play a wide variety, but that's not in my list.

I myself got the game on Steam's Halloween sale few weeks ago.
Haven't had time to get that much into the game (only a few hours of playtime), but from my current experience it's really enjoyable.

I'm pretty sure you are still able to get a guest pass from their website, which is a 7-day "trial" of the game, should help you with the decision of do you want to buy the game or not.

i5-6600K @4.5GHz / 1080 / 32GB DDR4

1 minute ago, KianFitz said:

Sorry, you're asking the wrong person for medieval games. I play a wide variety, but that's not in my list.

No problem! Is grinding in Black Desert Online the same as being afk or do you need to fight or something like that? And I've you don't do it where are you limitations?

I am not really much into MMOs these days but if you can, get Divinity Original Sin 2 for Coop up to 4-players. Awesome RPG game.

Just now, Walt said:

No problem! Is grinding in Black Desert Online the same as being afk or do you need to fight or something like that? And I've you don't do it where are you limitations?

There's both sides of it really.

If you want to level up fishing you have the choice of fishing manually, or automatically - granted iirc automatically is a lot slower.

Gathering professions etc you have to go do yourself.

You can close the game to System Tray whilst doing an "Auto Loop" to level up your weight and running skills etc? (Who came up with this?!?! :))

There is a lot of fighting grinding too, big wars happen if you can find a guild who do it - node wars etc.

It's definitely fun, but grinding is a big factor. - Levelling up your gear is very RNG based too, want to upgrade something? Nope! Sometimes it can even destroy the equipment!

Questing isn't necessary but there are advantages to doing them, which was beneficial to me, as I despise questing (did them after I reached level 50 anyway... ugh)

5 minutes ago, elliepls said:

Haven't had time to get that much into the game (only a few hours of playtime), but from my current experience it's really enjoyable.

I'm pretty sure you are still able to get a guest pass from their website, which is a 7-day "trial" of the game, should help you with the decision of do you want to buy the game or not.

I didn't know that, thanks!

2 minutes ago, KianFitz said:

There's both sides of it really.

If you want to level up fishing you have the choice of fishing manually, or automatically - granted iirc automatically is a lot slower.

Gathering professions etc you have to go do yourself.

You can close the game to System Tray whilst doing an "Auto Loop" to level up your weight and running skills etc? (Who came up with this?!?! :))

There is a lot of fighting grinding too, big wars happen if you can find a guild who do it - node wars etc.

It's definitely fun, but grinding is a big factor. - Levelling up your gear is very RNG based too, want to upgrade something? Nope! Sometimes it can even destroy the equipment!

Questing isn't necessary but there are advantages to doing them, which was beneficial to me, as I despise questing (did them after I reached level 50 anyway... ugh)

Okay thanks!!

I see on their site that you can buy in game currency, is this necessary or only for lazy people? :P

Their are also different start packages to buy. Are there limitations later or does it only make the start easier?

8 minutes ago, elliepls said:

I completely forgot about this! Good catch.

1 minute ago, Walt said:

Okay thanks!!

I see on their site that you can buy in game currency, is this necessary or only for lazy people? :P

Their are also different start packages to buy. Are there limitations later or does it only make the start easier?

Personally never bought anything, but from what I remember (I'm meant to be working LOL) It's XP boosts and cosmetic stuff, absolutely not necessary at all.

Maybe some high level horses because why not.

Do you have to pay for BDO? I swear it was F2P. Maybe that was only the beta or something when I played it. 

Anyway, BDO attracted me with the insane level of character customisation which you can spend hours tweaking and still not be satisfied with. The character creation really is awesome, probably the best of any game I've played. Besides that though, it felt like a very generic MMO to me TBH, there wasn't anything that stood out. I spent like 2 hours creating my character but then played for only about an hour before giving up on it. 

It's not bad, but there's just nothing really to it. I feel like if you've played any other MMO, you've played BDO for the most part, the character creation is the only thing that stands out, everything else seemed very bland to me. 

The only MMO that I've kept going back to is TERA. IMO it has the best combat system of any MMO I've played and a good selection of class types with very different play styles; It's a shame so many of the classes are race locked, but I can deal with that as most of the classes I play as use the race I normally play as too. There's several agile classes that can allow you to solo dungeons and bosses too, which is a nice challenge. 

Overall though, I'd actually say Runescape is the best MMO of all because of how well structured it is. The goals and how to achieve them are very clear and the progression is clear and noticeable. There's always something clear to work towards and there's not that much "how the hell do I do this" like there is in so many MMOs when it comes to things like crafting. IMO, Runescape mastered how to make grinding feel worthwhile. I feel like I should try to remember my old account's details now and play it. 

I play it for the cute characters, beautiful world and combat system. :P Mind you every class start at the same point and do the same exact quests, there is no variety to it compare to Guild Wars 2.

I still new btw.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 hours ago, Walt said:

Thanks!  

Dragon Age: Inquisition

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

BDO did a LOT of stuff right.  I think its a fantastic game, and i had a ton of fun with it.

but

its is a grinding game.   you grind so that you can grind more efficiently, so you can grind some more.

the end game is more grinding.

honestly, give it a shot. its actually free to play so why not. (there is a sub option, but its not required)   it is arguably pay to win though.  there are things in the store, that you basically HAVE to get

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

12 hours ago, Walt said:

Hi everyone,

Together with a friend we're planning on buying Black Desert Online. But when we started reading reviews it had a lot of bad reviews.

People played over 2.000 hours but still say it's a bad game. Can someone clarify this? Is it like only grinding?

Thanks!

PS: I know it's only 10 euro's/dollars but just wanted to now :D

From what I hear it is a good game, it's just the grind is like next level (like REALLY Massive grind fest).

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

It is a very good game. And only 10 euros. So practically nothing. It takes some time to get used to and familiar with the game, but it's like half an hour and you're hooked into the game. I've played only dark knight so far and I'm having a blast, especially since I'm not going to play PvP and Dark Knight is a good for PvE farming thanks to it's AOE attacks and CC.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

7 hours ago, Tsuki said:

BDO did a LOT of stuff right.  I think its a fantastic game, and i had a ton of fun with it.

but

its is a grinding game.   you grind so that you can grind more efficiently, so you can grind some more.

the end game is more grinding.

honestly, give it a shot. its actually free to play so why not. (there is a sub option, but its not required)   it is arguably pay to win though.  there are things in the store, that you basically HAVE to get

I thought it was F2P only in Russia and Asia with us westerners having to pay for it? Also how is the game p2w? Afaik there are only costumes, house decorations and other "useless" visual stuff.

My stuff:

Spoiler

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

53 minutes ago, Underi said:

-snip-

8 hours ago, Tsuki said:

-snip-

On there site I can try it for 7 days but on the steam store I have to buy it :(

1 minute ago, Walt said:

On there site I can try it for 7 days but on the steam store I have to buy it :(

Yeah. If you buy it on their site you'll get 10 7 day trial codes to give for your friends. This isn't a f2p game.

My stuff:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Walt said:

i recommend getting it from their site personally.  theres actually a few benefits to it.  you can also check out the bdo subreddit, people give gift keys pretty often.  i didnt even have to buy the game, cuz there are benefits to gifting.

58 minutes ago, Underi said:

I thought it was F2P only in Russia and Asia with us westerners having to pay for it? Also how is the game p2w? Afaik there are only costumes, house decorations and other "useless" visual stuff.

you have to pay for the base game, but access after that is completely free in all regions, unless you choose to pay a subscription, which includes extra inventory slots, bank slots, bonus combat and life skill exp, increased weight limit, increase money from sales, and some other stuff.

the biggest argument that people have for the game being p2w, is pets ($7-$11/ea).  pets pick up items for you and you can have 4 pets active at a time. so more pets going, means faster loot pickup. which means no stopping to loot between mobs.    its the only way to actually farm at higher levels, otherwise other people out rotate you and you end up having to swap channels.

the other is costumes(upwards of $30/each). although mostly cosmetic, some give you 10% bonus exp to certain life skills.

if you play super serious, then yes its p2w.  but if you are a casual like me, its more of a pay for extremely helpful/almost necessary convenience.

and even the "useless" house decorations can be considered p2w.   there is a feature in the game(i dont have a lot of details cuz i never did it) that allows you to get a shit ton of money.  but in order to do you, you have to have the best rated house in that town, on the server. the house decorations, give higher rating.   pay a fuckton of money for a "useless" fancy chair and you get a better rating, thus more likely to be able to use that feature.  but people actually do compete for that spot, which means spending hundreds if not thousands of real dollars to make some in game money.

THAT BEING SAID:  if you play casually, its a ton of fun, and not p2w at all

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.