TP-Link Kasa with Unsecured Networks

FaiL___

Hi, I just received my smart plug from amazon (it was in the black friday deals for £10 with an echo dot), but when setting it up, the app tells me that it needs a secure wi-fi network, but I am a uni student in uni accommodation and my wifi is unsecured. Is there any way I can get around this? maybe tricking my phone into thinking there is a password? (The setup is within the app). Thanks in advance.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

4 hours ago, FaiL___ said:

Hi, I just received my smart plug from amazon (it was in the black friday deals for £10 with an echo dot), but when setting it up, the app tells me that it needs a secure wi-fi network, but I am a uni student in uni accommodation and my wifi is unsecured. Is there any way I can get around this? maybe tricking my phone into thinking there is a password? (The setup is within the app). Thanks in advance.

So you want every one and their mom to have access to your smart plug? Because that is what will happen. There is probably no easy way to full it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

So you want every one and their mom to have access to your smart plug? Because that is what will happen. There is probably no easy way to full it. 

The plug will be controlling my desk lamp, not that worried about people accessing it xD.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

4 hours ago, FaiL___ said:

The plug will be controlling my desk lamp, not that worried about people accessing it xD.

Well, like most if not all smart home devices, they expect this on a private home network. They probably dont have a work around. Too much stuff in the news about these devices having poor security. They dont want to look bad in the eyes of consumers. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.