Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

best budget ssd?

Linus Tech Tits
 Share

I am looking for a SSD at 250gb 850evo territory. Is there any other ssd that is better than it at that price point?

Also is 3D nand more durable than MLC?

 

Edit: looking for 2.5 inch sata III size only. MOBO not support m.2 :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, you won't notice ANY difference between the fastest M.2 NVME SSD and a decent budget SATA 3 SSD unless you're doing heavy rendering or writing/reading to/from another equally fast drive constantly, so I wouldn't worry about Sata vs. M.2. 

 

In regards to durability, the cheaper drives tend to not be as durable, but they're still durable enough that most people will never exceed (or even come close to) the write limits over the useful life of the drive anyway. 

 

TL;DR basically any cheap SSD is fine. Where do you live (as regional pricing will affect the choice of drive)?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Linus Tech Tits said:

I am looking for a SSD at 250gb 850evo territory. Is there any other ssd that is better than it at that price point?

Also is 3D nand more durable than MLC?

Crucial MX300 and SK Hynix SL308 are among decent options, as long as they're cheaper than the 850 Evo.

 

3D NAND and MLC are categories that can overlap, so you can't say one is better than the other. 3D MLC is better than 3D TLC, while 3D TLC is roughly comparable to 2D MLC, and better than 2D TLC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

To be honest, you won't notice ANY difference between the fastest M.2 NVME SSD and a decent budget SATA 3 SSD unless you're doing heavy rendering or writing/reading to/from another equally fast drive, so I wouldn't worry about Sata vs. M.2. 

 

In regards to durability, the cheaper drives tend to not be as durable, but they're still durable enough that most people will never exceed the write limits over the useful life of the drive anyway. 

 

TL;DR basically any cheap SSD is fine. Where do you live (as regional pricing will affect the choice of drive)?

I live in Malaysia. So far i found sandisk ssd plus and 850 evo only fulfilled my requirement.(sandisk's price is 20 USD lower)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

The SL308 uses TLC, but is similar.

The 850 Evo uses TLC too...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Sakkura said:

The 850 Evo uses TLC too...

Yeah, but not the same kind of TLC, though :/

:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Linus Tech Tits said:

I live in Malaysia. So far i found sandisk ssd plus and 850 evo only fulfilled my requirement.(sandisk's price is 20 USD lower)

What's your "requirement"? What's your use case (did either clause I mentioned apply to you)? And where are you buying from? 

 

The SSD Plus is fine btw.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

The SL308 uses TLC, but is similar.

 

Can't find sl308 in my region..

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

Crucial MX300 and SK Hynix SL308 are among decent options, as long as they're cheaper than the 850 Evo.

 

3D NAND and MLC are categories that can overlap, so you can't say one is better than the other. 3D MLC is better than 3D TLC, while 3D TLC is roughly comparable to 2D MLC, and better than 2D TLC.

If mx300 and 850evo priced evenly which one should I choose?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Linus Tech Tits said:

I live in Malaysia. So far i found sandisk ssd plus and 850 evo only fulfilled my requirement.(sandisk's price is 20 USD lower)

The Sandisk SSD Plus is very slow. But if you find a Sandisk Ultra II or Sandisk Ultra 3D, those are good.

Just now, Linus Tech Tits said:

Can't find sl308 in my region..

If mx300 and 850evo priced evenly which one should I choose?

The MX300 is a little bit slower and a little bit bigger, so at the same price it just depends what you prefer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

What's your "requirement"? What's your use case (did either clause I mentioned apply to you)? And where are you buying from? 

 

The SSD Plus is fine btw.

Responsive and durability? I will use it to put OS and one or two games maybe. Buy it online I think since the physical shop always offer higher pricing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sakkura said:

The Sandisk SSD Plus is very slow. But if you find a Sandisk Ultra II or Sandisk Ultra 3D, those are good.

The MX300 is a little bit slower and a little bit bigger, so at the same price it just depends what you prefer.

I found ultra II priced similarly to ssd plus.

Will the ddr2 cache in 850evo help in open small apps?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Linus Tech Tits said:

I found ultra II priced similarly to ssd plus.

Will the ddr2 cache in 850evo help in open small apps?

No, it just holds the translation table and buffers. Most other SSDs have DRAM cache too, either DDR2 or DDR3 (it doesn't really matter which, though DDR3 does reduce power consumption slightly).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×