Shady Youtube Adblock Nonsense!

I hardly ever post on the forum, but I wanted to share this:

I was watching some YouTube today in Chrome on my PC and noticed that the YouTube player broke when I tried to watch a Saturday Night Live clip.  Audio would play, but no video would play, and I couldn't click on the player to start/stop like normal.  I tried refreshing, but that didn't help.  I tried opening another SNL video, but it still didn't play.  I opened a video from another YouTuber and it played just fine.  Back to SNL videos, and it broke again.  I opened Firefox and tried to watch an SNL video and it worked!   I was confused, but shrugged and went on watching.  Then a pre-roll ad showed on the next SNL video and I realized that I had AdBlock turned off for YouTube in Firefox.  I re-enabled AdBlock, and what do you know, the SNL video YouTube player broke in Firefox in the same way as it did in Chrome.  Brainblast.  I had figured it out.  I went to Chrome and disabled AdBlock, and poof, the video worked again.

TL;DR:  SNL YouTube videos only display on my PC when AdBlock is disabled in Chrome/Firefox.

Does anybody know what's going on?  Does this happen the same way for everyone else?  This seems super shady.

Maybe youtube is getting onto adblock? What is SNL? Link? I have adblock so i can try...

44 minutes ago, Joelsome said:

Maybe youtube is getting onto adblock? What is SNL? Link? I have adblock so i can try...

Saturday Night Live.  (It's a popular TV show in the States.)  For example:

44 minutes ago, MetallicArcherfish said:

maybe they dont want you to watch their content if they get no monetary gain from it, or you know bugs happen

To the first point: yeah, exactly, but to my knowledge it's exclusive to this particular channel.  Is SNL paying AdBlock for this exclusive feature?

To the second point: why would the bug only affect one particular YouTube channel?

1 hour ago, georgespamme said:

To the first point: yeah, exactly, but to my knowledge it's exclusive to this particular channel.  Is SNL paying AdBlock for this exclusive feature?

To the second point: why would the bug only affect one particular YouTube channel?

what adblock do you have? just adblock or ABP or that other one idk the name but i saw it getting popular,

I just went on A lot of SNL videos and they all worked just fine with adblock running. sometimes stuff just happens with technology you'd have to be a network engineer to understand 

3 minutes ago, MetallicArcherfish said:

what adblock do you have? just adblock or ABP or that other one idk the name but i saw it getting popular,

I just went on A lot of SNL videos and they all worked just fine with adblock running. sometimes stuff just happens with technology you'd have to be a network engineer to understand 

ABP.  Which do you have?

Hmm... After disabling ABP, installing that one, and restarting the browser, same issue persists.

maybe reinstall chrome 

I'd recommend replacing APB with uBlock Origin (links in the spoiler), will most likely fix your issues with SNL videos (just tested and works perfectly on both Chrome and Firefox), also it's less resource intensive.

i5-6600K @4.5GHz / 1080 / 32GB DDR4

1 minute ago, MetallicArcherfish said:

maybe reinstall chrome 

I feel like you're not supportive of my conspiracy theory ;) Illuminati-Logo.png.25a072683ac544c11ac24853dc3b9d4a.png

I feel like you're not supportive of my conspiracy theory ;)Illuminati-Logo.png.25a072683ac544c11ac24853dc3b9d4a.png

I mean I have no issues with it so it cant be them paying adblock to do that. maybe restart your pc i have have not. 

i know in the past i've had issues with adblock and random videos. but it was easy fixes like reset chrome or reinstall adblock 

2 minutes ago, elliepls said:

I'd recommend replacing APB with uBlock Origin (links in the spoiler), will most likely fix your issues with SNL videos (just tested and works perfectly on both Chrome and Firefox), also it's less resource intensive.

Hey thanks!  Never heard of that one.  I just installed it and it's working in Chrome.