Windows 8 and (Piledriver/Bulldozer)FX utilization

melsoftm
Go to solution Solved by helping,

Yes.

Windows 8 has better optimizations for 8 core usage and thread assignment out of the box. There are patches for Windows 7 to fix this, but they were kind of hard to get. 

I think there are some comparisons, but most of them deal with gaming/FPS performance. 

I was wondering if there is a tangible difference between windows 7 and windows 8 when using and bulldozer/piledriver cpu. I have seen countless articles saying yes, though I have seen no numbers! I was wondering if any of you have bench-marked both of the operating systems and see how they utilize the cpu!

No.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Yes.

Windows 8 has better optimizations for 8 core usage and thread assignment out of the box. There are patches for Windows 7 to fix this, but they were kind of hard to get. 

I think there are some comparisons, but most of them deal with gaming/FPS performance. 

Error: 410

And the difference is negliable.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Wow thank you for the speedy response! I was hoping that with windows 8 my 8120 would have new life, though my hopes are dwindling. I am struggling in modern titles to maintain 40fps with cpu intensive games skyrim/sc2. On that note would it be advisable to upgrade to the new 9000 series fx or should I scrap fx and go for something like a 4770k.

current setup

mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990fx rev.1

cpu: 8120fx zamb

mem: 12gb visiontek 1866 

gpus: 6790 xfx*2

psu: 750watt xfx bronze cert

ssd:kingston hyper x 128gb

hdd 2 tb wd

I am looking to revamp my system and if I were to go amds newer line fx it would be a cheaper upgrade seeing that i can keep everything, but if the performance favors intel heavily I am willing to invest in sawping over and harvesting my current rig.