Worth to downgrade from 4k to 1440 with G-Sync?

YourComputerGeek

Hi, 

I've been really wanting a G-Sync monitor with 144Hz for awhile, but 4k monitors that do have that either don't rreally exist or are really too high on price. I'm afraid if i switch I'll from 4k to 1440p I'll notice too much of a difference? Not really sure where to go on this one!

9 minutes ago, YourComputerGeek said:

Have you already seen high refresh rate displays? I play esports games and I really don't care about 144hz.

What is your PC hardware and current monitor set up?

What's the budget for a new display and what's your location?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Depends what you prefer. Do you prefer slightly-noticeable screentear, but a pretty display, or a smooth, slightly less pretty (but still very sharp) picture.

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

I'm having this same dilemma. I currently have a 4k IPS monitor 27" and it is gorgeous to look at. Text is stupid sharp, and games look amazing. But the higher refresh rate of a 144Hz 1440p monitor is something I really want to test out... Sooo, I went to a friends house to check his monitor out for a comparison. This is pretty much the gist of it, the 1440p monitor has noticeably less sharp text and is very noticeable when using programs like excel. HOWEVER, in games I couldn't tell much of a difference. So if it really is for gaming go for the 1440p, but if you do a lot of office work like me, the 4k is obviously better.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

6 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

What game were you looking at and what was the fps?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What a shame you still have to ask this question, we where promised to get 4k 144hz monitors almost a year ago..
I love 144hz. Bought one 1080p 144hz g-sync to check it out and fell in love. Later i upgradet to 1440p 165hz and it is just awesome. I love how everything feels so much snappier that i even prefer to do normal work on it. In Games I can enjoy not to care about the framerate. The gaming experience is much more consistent and immersive, because framedrops are not visible with g-sync.
To me this feels like the next logical step for monitors in general, there is no real reason not to have >60hz, which is why consoles with their dynamic resolution scaling are obsolete before they even came out.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. You might give up sharpnes, but you'll get another game-changing benefit.

53 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Have you already seen high refresh rate displays? I play esports games and I really don't care about 144hz.

What is your PC hardware and current monitor set up?

What's the budget for a new display and what's your location?

I personally haven't seen high refresh rate in action 

I currently have a 1080 ti and my monitor is a Acer - CB280HK

Around $350-400 

54 minutes ago, JaegerB said:

Depends what you prefer. Do you prefer slightly-noticeable screentear, but a pretty display, or a smooth, slightly less pretty (but still very sharp) picture.

I'm not sure, currently using a 4k monitor, but in games how much of a difference would I know between 4k and 1440p? 

1 minute ago, YourComputerGeek said:

You'd be able to get the $399 Pixio PX277 or $470 Nixeus(better stand) both have the same panel, 1440p 144hz IPS free-sync will work fine with your GPU

What's your CPU?

IF you can check out high refresh rate first that'd be a good idea to see if you even care about it.

Spoiler

53 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

I'm having this same dilemma. I currently have a 4k IPS monitor 27" and it is gorgeous to look at. Text is stupid sharp, and games look amazing. But the higher refresh rate of a 144Hz 1440p monitor is something I really want to test out... Sooo, I went to a friends house to check his monitor out for a comparison. This is pretty much the gist of it, the 1440p monitor has noticeably less sharp text and is very noticeable when using programs like excel. HOWEVER, in games I couldn't tell much of a difference. So if it really is for gaming go for the 1440p, but if you do a lot of office work like me, the 4k is obviously better.

Yes I agree, Text is wonderful on my monitor, but I think G-Sync would be a nice touch 

Just now, Streetguru said:

You'd be able to get the $399 Pixio PX277 or $470 Nixeus(better stand) both have the same panel, 1440p 144hz IPS free-sync

What's your CPU?

1 minute ago, YourComputerGeek said:

G-Sync would be a nice touch 

Not worth the extra cost over free-sync displays even if you have an nvidia GPU.

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, Trenzit said:

What a shame you still have to ask this question, we where promised to get 4k 144hz monitors almost a year ago..
I love 144hz. Bought one 1080p 144hz g-sync to check it out and fell in love. Later i upgradet to 1440p 165hz and it is just awesome. I love how everything feels so much snappier that i even prefer to do normal work on it. In Games I can enjoy not to care about the framerate. The gaming experience is much more consistent and immersive, because framedrops are not visible with g-sync.
To me this feels like the next logical step for monitors in general, there is no real reason not to have >60hz, which is why consoles with their dynamic resolution scaling are obsolete before they even came out.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. You might give up sharpnes, but you'll get another game-changing benefit.

It's a hard choice, I love graphics, but it might not be much of a difference between 1440p and 4k in games, Text i know for sure will be different 

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Not worth the extra cost over free-sync displays even if you have an nvidia GPU.

Why so? 

57 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

If u did just gaming and u had the chance to go to 1440p G-SYNC @ 144hz, would you do it? 

Just now, YourComputerGeek said:

Why so? 

Because it's more money for the same display type just to get adaptive sync, and you'd be locking yourself to Nvidia for the life of the display

$470 for free-sync, $599 for G-sync

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VvRbBP
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VvRbBP/by_merchant/

Monitor: AOC - AG271QG 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor  ($599.99 @ B&H)
Monitor: Nixeus - NX-EDG27 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  ($469.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1069.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-20 01:41 EST-0500

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Because it's more money for the same display type just to get adaptive sync, and you'd be locking yourself to Nvidia for the life of the display

$470 for free-sync, $599 for G-sync

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VvRbBP
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VvRbBP/by_merchant/

Monitor: AOC - AG271QG 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor  ($599.99 @ B&H)
Monitor: Nixeus - NX-EDG27 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor  ($469.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1069.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-20 01:41 EST-0500

I see, thx 

23 minutes ago, YourComputerGeek said:

I'm not sure, currently using a 4k monitor, but in games how much of a difference would I know between 4k and 1440p? 

It'll be noticeable using desktop programs and word processing, but in a game you'd barely notice it.

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

8 hours ago, YourComputerGeek said:

If u did just gaming and u had the chance to go to 1440p G-SYNC @ 144hz, would you do it? 

Oh yes for sure, but like I said I do a lot in Excel... So personally not worth it. However, in games there is next to no difference as long as you turn AA up a bit.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Alright, I still plan to use my 4k monitor as a productivity monitor and have my 1440p Monitor as my gaming one. Thanks for the info 

9 hours ago, JaegerB said:

It'll be noticeable using desktop programs and word processing, but in a game you'd barely notice it.

Alright, I still plan to use my 4k monitor as a productivity monitor and have my 1440p Monitor as my gaming one. Thanks for the info 

1 hour ago, Orangeator said:

Oh yes for sure, but like I said I do a lot in Excel... So personally not worth it. However, in games there is next to no difference as long as you turn AA up a bit.

Alright, I rarely use those things and game, I have a 1080 ti So i would think it can handle games with some AA 

I went from a 4k screen to a 144Hz 1440p G-sync and yea it was absolutely worth it. Way smoother, higher refresh rates, feels better, and if it's 27" or less the PPI of 1440p still looks really sharp.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

1 hour ago, pyrojoe34 said:

I went from a 4k screen to a 144Hz 1440p G-sync and yea it was absolutely worth it. Way smoother, higher refresh rates, feels better, and if it's 27" or less the PPI of 1440p still looks really sharp.

Alright, thanks 

You should just wait for a 4K 144Hz panel to come out.

Linus said during a wanshow AU Optronics is going to mass product some. 

They will be aviable around summer 2018, with the usual late count end of 2018.

This way you won't lose your resolution.

I wish i could oc my body, during winter overheating would be great.