Wanting to build a game sever

Wanting to build a linux(or windows) game server for various open world style games, your minecrafts, your arks your rusts and 7 days, etc whats the best way to do it barebones wise, do i need a gpu? what cpu am i lookin for to do this on the cheaper side(sub 200)?

4 hours ago, Himommies said:

Does electricity matter?

Will it be running 24/7

No electricity will not be a big issue i live in TN,USA power is rather cheap. it will only run when my friends and me want to play those games, maybe occasional overnight use

You could use your main pc, download the dedicated server software and run that while you play. 

What's your budget for this?

Also, dedicated servers run from the commandline and typically don't need a GPU, so that saves a good chunk of cash in that regard.

RAM:

Ark requires 6GB, Minecraft runs well enough on 4GB for just a few friends, 6-8 to be safe, 6GB recommended for Rust... etc.. 6GB per game server seems a safe assumption RAM wise.

Can't find much on CPU requirements. I'd say, a single 8-core Xeon E5 would probably do.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

12 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

What's your budget for this?

under 200 cheaper the better, Gonna put it in the cheapest case i can find that doesn't fall apart. might even buy a prebuilt for cheap on ebay and ram. its only gonna host at most 12 people usually around 8 if that.

11 hours ago, ZebralordF7 said:

under 200 cheaper the better, Gonna put it in the cheapest case i can find that doesn't fall apart. might even buy a prebuilt for cheap on ebay and ram. its only gonna host at most 12 people usually around 8 if that.

200 is pretty tight. One game at a time is doable for that, though. 

Aim for a quad core (i5 2nd gen or i7-9xx, skip the 1156 heaps) and 8GB of RAM (more if possible) and slap in a semi speedy harddrive and you should be okay. The prebuilt route is probably the cheapest.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro