Plannes Build:

i7 8700K

h100i v2

msi GTX 1080ti Sea Hawk X

16gb Trident Z rgb 3200 ram

2tb hdd (saved from other pc)

240gb ssd

msi Z370 Pro Carbon mb

Is it worth buying the card (and all of this other stuff) or should I wait for "Nvidia Volta" (2080ti??) which comes out in 6 months about

thanks

How long before the rest of your builds gets...well build? Because that Haswell i5 is a pretty damn big bottleneck on the 1080ti on water. 

Also you're going for 4k? 144hz 1440p? Otherwise this is a reaaaally overkill card and you don't mention your monitor.

-------

Current Rig

-------

That's quite an upgrade. I've not really looked into the GOU with water clocks attached...

But for the second part, we aren't exactly sure when it's come out not how much improvement it'll have..  not do we know how much MORE expensive it'll be. So that's on you. I have 480s, and I wouldn't go back to my 380.

Just now, Misanthrope said:

How long before the rest of your builds gets...well build? Because that Haswell i5 is a pretty damn big bottleneck on the 1080ti on water. 

Also you're going for 4k? 144hz 1440p? Otherwise this is a reaaaally overkill card and you don't mention your monitor.

sorry i should have specified, all of this SHOULD be built by christmas, I have 2 1080p monitors and I might have 3 1080p 144hz monitors at christmas

Does your current build satisfy your requirements for whatever you do on your PC?

if so, no need to upgrade

if yes, identify the bottleneck. if it's only a GPU problem, only upgrade the GPU.

else, yes, upgrade the whole system.

it is a good upgrade

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

That's quite an upgrade. I've not really looked into the GOU with water clocks attached...

But for the second part, we aren't exactly sure when it's come out not how much improvement it'll have..  not do we know how much MORE expensive it'll be. So that's on you. I have 480s, and I wouldn't go back to my 380.

I heard that the 2080 will be 32% better than the 1080ti. Nothing is confirmed of course

Just now, KillerWolf17 said:

I heard that the 2080 will be 32% better than the 1080ti. Nothing is confirmed of course

I highly doubt it will be that good.

maybe 10%

but nobody knows at this point, it's all speculation

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

Err I don't like 3x1080p monitor set ups. I mean they're ok, but you could be doing better with an ultrawidescreen + another 1080p as a secondary. If you do go that route 3440X1440p 100hz should be your aim. And since you're getting the rest of the build soon it's ok to pull the trigger on this water ti in the meantime just don't expect much beyond "everything is maxed but looks the same" for the time being.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Err I don't like 3x1080p monitor set ups. I mean they're ok, but you could be doing better with an ultrawidescreen + another 1080p as a secondary. If you do go that route 3440X1440p 100hz should be your aim. And since you're getting the rest of the build soon it's ok to pull the trigger on this water ti in the meantime just don't expect much beyond "everything is maxed but looks the same" for the time being.

Currently I run games like PUBG, Squad, and bf1 at 40fps on low, I want a more updated build that will last me through college for gaming and engineering stuff. obviously the fps I get in games will become lower over time as games look better but I think it will still be running good after about 5 years

3 minutes ago, KillerWolf17 said:

Currently I run games like PUBG, Squad, and bf1 at 40fps on low, I want a more updated build that will last me through college for gaming and engineering stuff. obviously the fps I get in games will become lower over time as games look better but I think it will still be running good after about 5 years

In the case of college, I only worry about water with a lot of case movements. Looks end of term move home, stuff like that. Otherwise, it should last a while.

11 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

Id rather just go with a air cooled card

Water cooling is good with 24/7 loads like Boinc. Keeping the cards cooler extends their life expectancy.

~~Kuroneko~~

- Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core

- Corsair H115i Pro 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X399 ROG Zenith Extreme MB

- 2x Nvidia Titan V

- Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 1TB M.2 SSD

- Western Digital RED Pro 6TB 64M SATA

- Corsair AX1500i Titianium PSU

- Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout

- 3x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

~~Chibineko~~

- Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core

- Corsair H115i 280 Liquid Cooler

- Asus X470-F ROG Strix  MB

- 2x MSI Vega 64 Wave Liquid Cooled

- G.Skill Sniper X 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz

- Samsung 960 Pro Series 512GB M.2 SSD

- Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD

- Corsair AX1200i 80+ Platinum

- Fractal Design Define R5

- 5x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial 140mm 3000RPM Fans

15 minutes ago, tp95112 said:

Id rather just go with a air cooled card

same price but nah, plus msi and corsair are my two favorite brands

1 minute ago, zzrhardy said:

Water cooling is good with 24/7 loads like Boinc. Keeping the cards cooler extends their life expectancy.

Something like that maybe, not sure what OP use case it.

13 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

also getting 2 more 144hz monitors is a lot cheaper than a 3440x1440p monitor although that would look beautiful

nvidia volta high end wont come out in the next 6 months, this is confirmed. Infact nvidia may not release volta gaming cards.

Are current GPUs worth buying? Likely not due to price hikes.

Is it worth waiting? No.

Thats the honest answer. So until GPU pricing gets back to where it should be your only choices are 2nd hand cards.

21 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

nvidia volta high end wont come out in the next 6 months, this is confirmed. Infact nvidia may not release volta gaming cards.

Are current GPUs worth buying? Likely not due to price hikes.

Is it worth waiting? No.

Thats the honest answer. So until GPU pricing gets back to where it should be your only choices are 2nd hand cards.

The budget isnt a huge issue, I work a lot and can afford it, was more just wondering if I should wait for something better

6 minutes ago, KillerWolf17 said:

The budget isnt a huge issue, I work a lot and can afford it, was more just wondering if I should wait for something better

nah don't wait

Desktop:

Laptop: