Linux on MS Surface Pro Laptop

Hey guys!

My brother ordered a Microsoft Surface Laptop for my birthday. I would like to know how good Linux will run on it. Should I cancel the order and order another notebook? Do you have some  recommendations?

To myself: I started to study computer science and need a thin lightweight, but also powerful notebook. I want to write programs on C, C++, Python and Java, but also watch movies etc.

Thank you for your answer

Don't keep up your hopes....

I'd recommend a dell Xps 13, has full linux support, you can even buy the developer edition with ubuntu by default.

Edit: I use an xps 13 with dual boot ubuntu / w10. havnt had any issues

As far as I've been able to determine, getting Linux on a Surface is a no go. There are groups out there dedicated to doing that, and no luck

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Thank you for your answer!

I will go with the Dell xps 13.

I'm pretty sure Wendel is running a Surface, thus Linux on it should be no problem. For your use-case however, you\de be better off with an XPS 13 or perhaps one of xiaomi's notebooks. A touchscreen for programming only gets in the way and while for coding alone, a taller screen is a plus, you\ll be wasting screen space once you open up some movies.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2017 at 1:11 PM, Zii said:

Thank you for your answer!

I will go with the Dell xps 13.

Make sure you order the developer version which comes with Ubuntu pre-installed. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the developer version is cheaper.

In austria the windows xps are currently discounted but not the ubuntu one. They also make a good job of hiding them just go to the xps page and scroll through the options to find the ubuntu ones