MSI Mobo RMA?

xDylanio

Hello so I would like to ask what I can expect from an rma. After 2 years my mobo stopped recognizing my usb devices after bios. I read in another forum that a user also encountered this issue, and said he rmad it and was told it was defective. He didnt explain anything else. But he did have the same mobo. I was just wondering what I can expect from msi. It arrived to them two or 3 days ago and only received an email saying so. Havent heard anything else and there doesn't seem to be a live chat. Any experience? 

CPU - i7-4790k

GPU - MSI 980 Ti 

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Memory - 32 GB DDR3

Storage - 3.4 TB

Full List : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sPgN8d

13 minutes ago, xDylanio said:

Hello so I would like to ask what I can expect from an rma. After 2 years my mobo stopped recognizing my usb devices after bios. I read in another forum that a user also encountered this issue, and said he rmad it and was told it was defective. He didnt explain anything else. But he did have the same mobo. I was just wondering what I can expect from msi. It arrived to them two or 3 days ago and only received an email saying so. Havent heard anything else and there doesn't seem to be a live chat. Any experience? 

https://www.google.com/search?q=msi+customer+support&oq=MSI+Customer&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.1653j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I assume that they gave you a "case number" or "customer number"? Should be in that email you received. When I had a Gigabyte board RMA'd it took like 4 or 5 days and they said they were testing it (and they eventually replaced a component). I eventually ordered another motherboard and about 2 weeks later I got my old one back (I proceeded to sell it to my friend who was happy to get such a board at a discount). 

I'm not sure as to how well MSI handles their business. They may do it faster or slower. I would definitely call and see what the time frame is. You honestly may want to purchase a board in the mean time while this one gets sorted out and then just resell it when you receive it.
When you call, have that case/customer number ready so they can look you up :)

In my experience with MSI RMA, the service was painfully slow. My shipment arrived to them 3 days after I received confirmation from them of getting an RMA. My refurb board shipped 1.5 months later and took about 5 business days to arrive. Nearly 2 month process from my board dying and having a refurb unit in hand. Keep in mind I am from Canada and dealt with their Canadian department in Ontario, but it sure left a bad taste being without a computer for 50+ days. 

6 minutes ago, Minbari said:

In my experience with MSI RMA, the service was painfully slow. My shipment arrived to them 3 days after I received confirmation from them of getting an RMA. My refurb board shipped 1.5 months later and took about 5 business days to arrive. Nearly 2 month process from my board dying and having a refurb unit in hand. Keep in mind I am from Canada and dealt with their Canadian department in Ontario, but it sure left a bad taste being without a computer for 50+ days. 

I've heard countless stories like this, especially Canadians. However, I had a good experience here in Ontario. I had the refurb board within less than a week of my board arriving at MSI.

PC: Ryzen 5 2600 // 16 GB Corsair 3200 // MSI RX 580 8 GB // 500 GB WD Blue M.2 (sata) // Silverstone Raven RVZ03B // Fedora 33

LAPTOP: i7 5700HQ // 16 GB Kingston 1866 // GTX 970M // 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 // 1 TB HDD // Windows 10

ETC: (2) Dell U2515H (2560x1440) // Corsair K63 // Logitech G603 // FiiO E10 // Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO (250 ohm) // Audio Technica ATH-M60x

4 minutes ago, Wheelzz said:

I've heard countless stories like this, especially Canadians. However, I had a good experience here in Ontario. I had the refurb board within less than a week of my board arriving at MSI.

I wish. Fingers crossed my asus z370 board stays alive because RMA's are the worst.

32 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

When you call, have that case/customer number ready so they can look you up :)

Alright sounds great, hopefully they have some news to give me. 

12 minutes ago, Minbari said:

Keep in mind I am from Canada and dealt with their Canadian department in Ontario, but it sure left a bad taste being without a computer for 50+ days. 

Dang that must have sucked. Im on my second week and everyday that passes by I get more anxious. Hopefully the American department is better. 

5 minutes ago, Wheelzz said:

I had the refurb board within less than a week of my board arriving at MSI.

I aswell have read a bunch of people complaining about this. Ill give them till black friday before I email them or anything. 

CPU - i7-4790k

GPU - MSI 980 Ti 

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5

Memory - 32 GB DDR3

Storage - 3.4 TB

Full List : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sPgN8d

38 minutes ago, Minbari said:

I wish. Fingers crossed my asus z370 board stays alive because RMA's are the worst.

Reason why i never will deal with ASUS again: They basically gave the middle finger to me, claimed that a RMA never was made then refused to do anything about the retailer as well. At the time their physical location in Markham claimed only laptop service yet the site stated no such thing. Luckily it was just a $50 board, and oh yea, i never got it back.

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

Reason why i never will deal with ASUS again: They basically gave the middle finger to me, claimed that a RMA never was made then refused to do anything about the retailer as well. At the time their physical location in Markham claimed only laptop service yet the site stated no such thing. Luckily it was just a $50 board.

I don't get the luxury of physical locations for any company because I am from SK, so it's pretty much at the mercy of their online service. I have a Maximus X hero so it isn't a cheap board. Hoping I can get a few years out of it and not have an issue......

1 minute ago, Minbari said:

I don't get the luxury of physical locations for any company because I am from SK, so it's pretty much at the mercy of their online service. I have a Maximus X hero so it isn't a cheap board. Hoping I can get a few years out of it and not have an issue......

My original board from them was about a $300 board (got it used from a friend), it worked great till i overclocked my P4 stupidly... Ever saw a P4 post at 20+ghz then die? I have :D My next one i successfully got it to post and boot at 4.8hgz on air (5.2, but windows refused to load)

In ASUS's defense tho i did go to a company never been to before due to being in college requiring to save a few bucks...

Having a printable receipt at your disposal is better than paper, if you lose the physical copy you're safe.