Need setup advice

Mattdeat

So i am having some trouble with my network with random disconnects and was looking to upgrade my network setup. 

My family currently use alot of wireless devices but my (xbox and two gaming pcs) are connected via ethernet to the router. 

What would be a great setup to have no hiccups

im looking at getting a netgear nighthawk what model would be best?

do i need a new modem too?

would a switch be necessary or will the night hawk handle 3 devices by ethernet just fine?

ISP?

Speed you're paying for?

Budget?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Mattdeat said:

So i am having some trouble with my network with random disconnects and was looking to upgrade my network setup. 

My family currently use alot of wireless devices but my (xbox and two gaming pcs) are connected via ethernet to the router. 

What would be a great setup to have no hiccups

im looking at getting a netgear nighthawk what model would be best?

do i need a new modem too?

would a switch be necessary or will the night hawk handle 3 devices by ethernet just fine?

who's the isp? what budget and speed?

For that speed. I assume you meant mbps. a multi hundred router isnt really gonna do much

54 minutes ago, Synawke said:

For that speed. I assume you meant mbps. a multi hundred router isnt really gonna do much

Alright well i have a $80 d link router now but it keeps dropping signal

56 minutes ago, Mattdeat said:

Alright well i have a $80 d link router now but it keeps dropping signal

I'm surprised they haven't bumped you to their 60Mb or 100Mb plans yet.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I'm surprised they haven't bumped you to their 60Mb or 100Mb plans yet.

I just went on the website and although it doesnt tell me what plan i have besides “basic turbo” really? Wtf. It does say i can upgrade to 30mb/s or 50mb/s. No option for 100 yet

21 minutes ago, Mattdeat said:

I just went on the website and although it doesnt tell me what plan i have besides “basic turbo” really? Wtf. It does say i can upgrade to 30mb/s or 50mb/s. No option for 100 yet

If you want to be ready then I would go with the Arris SB6183 for the modem. Combine that with a good Nighthawk router AC1900 or x6 depending on how much coverage you need.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Ok so im home now and i checked my speed on my ethernet pc. Its says 100mb/s. So i guess i do have 100. But then when i was like maybe its fine now i tried to play wow. No connection? I just did a test. So i checked my phone and no connection. I went upstairs and my modem (arris sb6121) was flashing only one of the internet icons. I unconnected it as always and plugged it back in a minute later. Now everything is running again. 

But for how long

also my router is a d link dir 655

So looked into my modem stats and it says speed of up to 170mp/s we all know thats crap they just write on there so with that number toned down a bit is my modem kicking off because 3-4 people are doing very extensive work on the 100mb/s internet?

I would look into using something a little more complex as a modem if you can, like using pfsense on an old computer. Gives you all kinds of options (if you want them) and should be very reliable. My current pfsense box has over 500 days of continuous up-time on it. Just food for thought.

5 hours ago, Mattdeat said:

So looked into my modem stats and it says speed of up to 170mp/s we all know thats crap they just write on there so with that number toned down a bit is my modem kicking off because 3-4 people are doing very extensive work on the 100mb/s internet?

Modem speeds are generally crap. Those speeds come from the manufactures of the modems. The ISP generally wont provision to max speed. For example Comcast will only provision the SB6141 to 200Mbps when the modem is rated by Arris to do 370Mbps ish. Charter to my understanding is shit at supporting customer owned modems. They dont provide any lists of supported modems from my understanding and no firmware updates. My ISP Comcast has a list of customer owned modems they allow. They have tested all these modems to work on their network and they provide firmware updates to these modems as well. 

The SB6183 is suppose to be a solid modem, you might also look at the CM600 from Netgear, also heard that one is solid as well. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.