OC 8370

gear69

So, hello everyone.

i'm a total n00b when it comes to OC so here i am asking for advice on the matter.

Specs

fx 8370 + dark rock pro 3

msi 990 fxa gaming

16gb dd3 hyperx fury

Corsair VS650

gtx 1080 strix

ssd 120 gb corsair

1 tb hdd wd dont remember the color.

I'm playing right now Escape from tarkov with really poor fps,with a lot of fps drops escpecially when scoping. so i was wondering if with a little boost on the CPU i could achieve something.

here is a link to what looks like the bios on my mobo

i'm sorry if my english is really bad. but can't afford right now a teacher.

Thanks for the attention

6 minutes ago, gear69 said:

cut

It won't help. The problem is the CPU itself, which is outdated and performs poorly expecially on single thread. Also, since it's power and temperature is very high by default, you don't have a big margin.

It is extremely suggested that you upgrade instead to a Ryzen 5 or 7 or a i7 7700K for example

The older FX chips dont perform well and are outdated chips. I'd suggest upgrading to something like the Ryzen 5 1600+B350 motherboard and 16GB DDR4 3000MHz RAM, or a higher end ryzen 7-1700+X370 motherboard. The Coffeelake i5-8400 is also another option to consider+B360/H370 motherboards are coming out in 2018.

26 minutes ago, gear69 said:

I'm playing right now Escape from tarkov with really poor fps,with a lot of fps drops escpecially when scoping. so i was wondering if with a little boost on the CPU i could achieve something.

Thanks for the attention

Not really...the IPC on those CPU's is so low, that it's been proven that even if you can push them to 5.0ghz they are still crap slow CPU...get a CPU upgrade ASAP that thing is chocking the life out of your expensive GTX 1080 GPU.

You can get maybe 2 or 3 more FPS by overclocking it balls to the walls but it aint gonna save you from a crappy gaming experience.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

It's a Unity game though, It might just run like garbage in the first place. Not to say all Unity games run like crap, but a lot of them do. If it's especially slowing down during scoping, it could mean the texturestreaming is not working properly. Given the fact you have both a GTX 1080 with 8GB of VRAM and 16GB of system ram, it shouldn't really be struggling in terms of texturestreaming.

If it was the CPU exclusively, it should just have low FPS in general. @gear69 It depends a little on how poorly the game runs at scoping. Does it stutter heavily and afterwards recover, or does the framerate just flatout drop and not recover?

EDIT: I'm reading the game has been suffering from memory leaks after a certain patch or update. That might also explain if it was stuttering.

The game stutter heavily and afterwards recover slowly. btw they kinda fixed the memory leak thing, and i have never expirienced such problem.

So i have no other choice then upgrade to a better cpu? i mean, i know already that a beter cpu will give me better performance. but i can't afford it right now, that's why i was looking around for other way to "solve" the problem.

Thanks a lot guys

48 minutes ago, gear69 said:

The game stutter heavily and afterwards recover slowly. btw they kinda fixed the memory leak thing, and i have never expirienced such problem.

So i have no other choice then upgrade to a better cpu? i mean, i know already that a beter cpu will give me better performance. but i can't afford it right now, that's why i was looking around for other way to "solve" the problem.

Thanks a lot guys

the thing is, you would get a better gaming experience out of a GTX 1060 and a proper CPU than what you are getting right now with your FX and a GTX 1080.

Unbalanced config like that give wildly fluctuating and eratic framerates with lots of micro-stuttering and stuff...it can be quite nasty.

You should have went with a lower-end GPU and upgrade your CPU and board...also, you can sell the FX and board and RAM and get some money toward a cheap Ryzen kit or something maybe...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

55 minutes ago, gear69 said:

Thanks a lot guys

Yeah but memory usage and texture streaming are linked, meaning they're having issues with allocation. Usually when you scope there's a sudden shift in LOD (level of detail) and it has to load in the higher level textures in the specific area you're scoping. A game usually uses lower quality assets at a distance to save resources, because usually you can't spot the difference. When you scope or zoom, you would notice hence it will load in the higher resolution textures. If it's having issues due to lack of memory or otherwise higher latencies (IE a 5400 RPM disk it has to load off of), it will stutter. As soon as it has loaded in the textures it should recover, hence i asked that specific question.

Usually this happens with computers that are low on memory (System memory or VRAM), but in both cases you're well equipped. Now it could be due to a slower HDD, but after a while this should resolve itself when most of the assets are stored in the memory. 

Does this issue also occur when you're running the absolute lowest graphical settings?

7 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

the thing is, you would get a better gaming experience out of a GTX 1060 and a proper CPU than what you are getting right now with your FX and a GTX 1080.

Unbalanced config like that give wildly fluctuating and eratic framerates with lots of micro-stuttering and stuff...it can be quite nasty.

You should have went with a lower-end GPU and upgrade your CPU and board...also, you can sell the FX and board and RAM and get some money toward a cheap Ryzen kit or something maybe...

How does this help him now?

i get that those things are unbalanced but my girlfriend gifted it to me like a week ago. what should have i done? No, thanks. I d rather a 1060?

i'm running the game at the lowest settings possible even utilizing nvidia control panel on specified app.

the really funny thing it's that if i set the game at ULTRA i get only 3 fps lower in every scenario so far. but still ill go on ultra low because those 3 fps are preciuous right now. I have an SSD to run the game smoother but it seems that doesn't help a lot

Well, besides all the goings on about what every one else is talking about...
My FX8350 OC is:
All voltages locked to default. vcore set to 1.45v LLC set to medium. Any power saving features are disabled.

Cool & Quiet, C1E, SVM and HPC are disabled.
Core C6 and APM I left Enabled or on auto.
Cpu boost feature is disabled.
NB Frequency and HT Link are on auto. (Bus offset overclocks these about 200mhz automatically)
Bus is set 216mhz
Clock Ratio is set to 21.00
This overclock puts me at 4.53GHz on the cpu. NB Frequency bumps up to 2375mhz and the HT Link bumps up 2810mhz. Raising The bus speed also bumped up my 1600mhz ram to 1720mhz.

Use these settings as a reference k? I have a gigabyte board so some features may be worded differently on your board so keep that in mind I guess. Also, if you can get it to work with these similar settings, try bumping up your bus even further to see how far you can go. This isn't a very impressive overclock, i'd say about average but it'll get you started.
Some things to note from my own experience:
The ht link frequency can't really go any higher then 2800mhz. The nb frequency can't go really any higher then 2400mhz so keep that in mind when you play with your bus speed. If you need more stability while you experiment, keep these two frequencies as close to default as possible. Also pay attention to your memory speed when playing with the bus multiplier. in some cases you may have to actually clock your memory, ht link and nb frequencies down just to keep them in relative spec.
Uhm... what else.... Max safe Vcore is 1.5v. Don't go higher then 1.48v and if you do watch your LLC to make sure its not jacking voltages up over 1.5v. Medium LLC is all you should probably try. Thats about all i have i think for this. I hope your using an AIO at least

53 minutes ago, gear69 said:

@Majestic yes. the slow down occurs no matter the setting i chose.

Then I think it's just the game fam, Unity games due to their nature have a lot of overhead. And loading in assets will probably be a bottleneck.

I don't think they handled the texturestreaming particularly well and as a result it will just stutter. 

OC isn't going to resolve this, nor is buying a new platform a guarantee that it will fix it. I suggest heading over to their forums and complain.