Truly Silent Computer

Ryan

Has anyone ever built a truly silent computer? Most searches lead to liquid cooling, or insulated cases with "silent" fans. This is not silent, it's quiet.

I am planning on building an HTPC in a GD05/06, and saw that this heatsink is recommended:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=367&area=en

​It fits behind an optical drive in the case, and specifically lists a max TDP with no fans (65W), which is rare.

I plan on using:

An i3 CPU (TDP is 35-55W, depending on model) - undecided

mobo undecided (mATX)

GPU - ASUS 7750 silent (on order)

http://ca.asus.com/en/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/HD7750DCSL1GD5/

4GB of RAM of some kind

Seasonic 460W Gold silent power supply (already own)

Blu-ray drive ( i know this will make noise) - already own

An SSD of some sort, currently owned, or possibly new.

Media will be streamed from on-line, or from another computer in another room.

Other than the obvious thought "this will get too hot, and need fans" can anyone think of any other problems I might encounter? Ideally I will leave the case fans installed that come with the case, and my mobo can turn them off completely 99% of the time, and only turn on if gaming/really hot day. On the other hand, removing the fans and filters should lead to minimally better passive cooling, but will not have the option of cooling down in "emergencies."

Thoughts or suggestions? If I get this built, I will gladly share some temps/benchmarks if anyone is interested.

I think Linus has said in some of his videos / livestreams that his wife's computer has a silverarrow CPU cooler with no fans installed.

So far as I can see This should be fine. I might suggest though that you install one of the silence oriented Noctua fans into it. Then you should be absolutely fine with a little bit of airflow.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

I think Linus has said in some of his videos / livestreams that his wife's computer has a silverarrow CPU cooler with no fans installed. So far as I can see This should be fine. I might suggest though that you install one of the silence oriented Noctua fans into it. Then you should be absolutely fine with a little bit of airflow.

Actually I think his wife's PC has one exhaust fan installed, at least from the last video I saw that he uploaded, it was a while ago so I don't know if he changed this from a more recent video.

Based on what you have told us about your HTPC build, I don't think it will be an issue. I am assuming your computer will be at least 5 feet away because you will be using it at a HTPC. As long as you keep your fans around 800 RPM, it should be more than quiet enough.

When I used to have Silverstone SG-03, my desktop was completely quiet when my fans were around 800 RPM. As you mentioned that it isn't silent but it was still way quieter than anything in the room. My silverstone SG-03 had a Core 2 Q9550 in it which was 95W. It never got higher than 60 degrees celcius, the majority of the heat and noise was generated by the graphics card when gaming. Ambient temperature was probably 29 degrees celcius in my house during summers. For cooling, I had 2 x 120mm fans, a 100mm for the CPU, and whatever came on the video card.

From my experience the two things in your build that are going to generate the most heat is your blu-ray drive and your video card. One case fan won't hurt the sound profile of the unit.

Hope this helps out.

I didn't consider the bluray drive as a significant source of heat, but it makes sense...

Now that I see a couple comments, perhaps I've just had a bad experience with supposedly quiet computer components. I will likely try the included silverstone case fans (which are rated well) and try to automatically control them to be off most of the time. If I'm still not happy (and need airflow) I'll try the outrageously recommended Noctuas. Glad to see at least one other person agrees the system can be completely passively cooled.

KyonCoraeL - in case you didn't check out the gpu link, it is a fanless video card, or perhaps you meant in general. Ideally the sound profile is silence.

I think Linus has said in some of his videos / livestreams that his wife's computer has a silverarrow CPU cooler with no fans installed. So far as I can see This should be fine. I might suggest though that you install one of the silence oriented Noctua fans into it. Then you should be absolutely fine with a little bit of airflow.

Actually I think his wife's PC has one exhaust fan installed, at least from the last video I saw that he uploaded, it was a while ago so I don't know if he changed this from a more recent video.

I believe the setup was using the rear fan for intake, blowing across the cpu cooler.

Was that it? I can't remember lol, I'll have to go find that video.

Found it:

Yeah you're right, good call.

My computer is pure-silent if the fans are off.. LOL

Gigabyte Aorus pro z390 :Intel Core I5 9600K RAM:Kingston HyperX 16 GB: Asus gtx 1070 Ti AE : WD Black SN 750 ,500 GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB + Kingston Fury HyperX 120 GB, Hitach 500 GB : Corsair RM750x :Colorful Raynor G1 AOC C24G1  Razer Kraken TE Bassilisk Ultimate ,Ornada Chroma

Wow, thanks! Nice of them to post this one day after I posted my question. Also very nice that it reinforced the decisions I made about the system.