Quesion

Wich is best option to back up several pc´s on hard drives on site (isn´t a server in raid uselful ) thanks 

if anyone could help would be apreciated :)

Just now, jonatan9815 said:

Wich is best option to back up several pc´s on hard drives on site (isn´t a server in raid uselful ) thanks 

if anyone could help would be apreciated :)

Have an old server/pc or a new pc/server/NAS as a server. I use CrashPlan its easy and supports friends backing up to each other too. Not the most elegant but works. Yes RAID is useful for mission-critical files.

Just now, Ryois said:

Have an old server/pc or a new pc/server/NAS as a server. I use CrashPlan its easy and supports friends backing up to each other too. Not the most elegant but works. Yes RAID is useful for mission-critical files.

CrashPlan Home is going away in a few months so you won't be able to do that with the app anymore.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

A dedicated NAS box is a good option. Saves your bandwidth if you have lots of files, and your data stays under your control.

Always been a fan of NetGear's ReadyNAS NV+ solutions

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

A word of caution regarding RAID, even in mirror config, RAID increases continuity and provides protection against *some* causes of data loss. But you should never treat RAID as a backup as it does not protect against file corruption, human error, malware and more. This article does a good job of explaining in more detail: https://www.storagecraft.com/blog/5-reasons-raid-not-backup/

As for backup recommendations: It rather depends on the OS, if windows then there is Volume Shadow Copy or File History functionality. If Linux then cron jobs and rsync will give you a good start. If Mac then I have no idea...