GTX 1080ti poor performance?

CrippledROBOT

I recently purchased a 1440p 144hz g-sync monitor for my i5 8600k 1080ti system. In many areas of a game such as GTA 5, I will drop from 144fps to 70s-90s and stay in that area.

This was supposed to be the "overkill card" yet is pumping out the same FPS that my old 980ti was doing. 

Am I missing something?

EDIT: I was actually getting better FPS and performance about a week ago on the very same monitor..

Monitor the CPU and GPU usage and see if anything else is limiting. For instance, make sure they're not thermally throttling after a while.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

If it only happen after while of play, look to your temperature to see about issues.

gtaV is a cpu monster.... being a K oc your chip a bit. if that gets you more FPS then its a CPU limitation, i get similar frame rate with much much older kit

Intel Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4Ghz  Sapphire R9 290 Vapor X 4GB  |  Vengeance® K70 & M65  W10 Pro

4 minutes ago, porina said:

Monitor the CPU and GPU usage and see if anything else is limiting. For instance, make sure they're not thermally throttling after a while.

CPU will peak at 70s and will max out at 100% across all cores and the 1080ti will max out at 75c and hit 99% usage

Were you running the 8600k with the 980ti? Because if you switched out cards and kept the same CPU and saw the same performance then you're running into a CPU bottleneck.

(Do what @porina suggested and monitor your usages to be sure though)

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

4 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

CPU will peak at 70s and will max out at 100% across all cores and the 1080ti will max out at 75c and hit 99% usage

Both the CPU and GPU are pegged at/near 100% when you're pushing the 70-90fps?

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

9 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

Reinstall windows to eliminate any software issues. Your CPU is fine for 144hz gaming.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

6 minutes ago, Moress said:

Both the CPU and GPU are pegged at/near 100% when you're pushing the 70-90fps?

High 80%s there it seems. It'll max out when hitting 144

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Reinstall windows to eliminate any software issues. Your CPU is fine for 144hz gaming.

Just did that last night. No change. Actually reintroduced some weird audio issues that I thought I fixed previously 

13 minutes ago, Moress said:

Were you running the 8600k with the 980ti? Because if you switched out cards and kept the same CPU and saw the same performance then you're running into a CPU bottleneck.

(Do what @porina suggested and monitor your usages to be sure though)

Was using i7 5820k actually. 

10 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

Just did that last night. No change. Actually reintroduced some weird audio issues that I thought I fixed previously 

Wait why did you upgrade from a 5820K to an 8600K...

What's your power supply? Single channel or Dual Channel RAM? Did you daisy chain your PCI-e power cables to the GPU?

If reinstalling windows did nothing it's likely some strange hardware issue.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Side-grades ftw

11 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

What's your power supply? Single channel or Dual Channel RAM? Did you daisy chain your PCI-e power cables to the GPU?

If reinstalling windows did nothing it's likely some strange hardware issue.

For gaming, the i5 beats out the i7 by quite a lot. I also sold the i7 5820k about 8 months ago and have been desktop-less for that time period.

Also, here is link to build https://pcpartpicker.com/b/YjWD4D

Since I built it I have had nothing but a plethora of small issues ranging from this (seemingly) new FPS issue to wretched sound issues. 

3 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

For gaming, the i5 beats out the i7 by quite a lot. I also sold the i7 5820k about 8 months ago and have been desktop-less for that time period 

The IPC gains from haswell haven't been much, the only real gain is having an easier time hitting 5ghz, would have highly suggested an i7 8700 over an 8600K in general....But whatever.

So what about those other tings?

The i5 8600K should be around 140fps easy, are you using the same settings as before? You may just have a ton of CPU heavy settings enabled, what happens when you set the game to the lowest settings?

https://us.hardware.info/reviews/7602/18/intel-core-i7-8700k--i5-8600k--i5-8400-coffee-lake-review-affordable-six-cores-gaming-benchmarks-gtx-1080-ti-gta-v

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

The IPC gains from haswell haven't been much, the only real gain is having an easier time hitting 5ghz, would have highly suggested an i7 8700 over an 8600K in general....But whatever.

So what about those other tings?

I sold it as I thought I didn't want/need a gaming PC at the time.. Its a long story not worth telling xD

Anyway, this seems to be semi common issue now. If I play Spotify or something I will hear an occasional semi-faint "popping" sound/also while playing games. After about a week of searching I learned that this is likely due to a DPC latency issue and is therefore driver related. Thank God (I guess) that it is not hardware. I was able to prove this through driver reinstallations and upon restart after driver update, the issue went away and I experience some of the best onboard audio I have ever heard. Restart the machine and the issues are back in full force. Today I reinstalled (clean install) of video drivers and managed to fix the issue, until, guess what, the reboot. The reboot brought my issues right back. 

I'm at an utter loss for words. After doing a clean windows 10 reinstall last night and using the latest motherboard recommended audio drivers, certain games have NO sound. BUT, the audio is much more crisp (though occasionally still popping) in games that still do work. Verifying integrity and reinstalling the games that do not work does nothing. 

I'm at the end of my ropes here. Any thoughts?

13 minutes ago, Bcat00 said:

It could just be optimization issues on the games end.

That could very well be, though I was actually getting BETTER performance earlier this week which is really weird. 

4 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

I sold it as I thought I didn't want/need a gaming PC at the time.. Its a long story not worth telling xD

Anyway, this seems to be semi common issue now. If I play Spotify or something I will hear an occasional semi-faint "popping" sound/also while playing games. After about a week of searching I learned that this is likely due to a DPC latency issue and is therefore driver related. Thank God (I guess) that it is not hardware. I was able to prove this through driver reinstallations and upon restart after driver update, the issue went away and I experience some of the best onboard audio I have ever heard. Restart the machine and the issues are back in full force. Today I reinstalled (clean install) of video drivers and managed to fix the issue, until, guess what, the reboot. The reboot brought my issues right back. 

I'm at an utter loss for words. After doing a clean windows 10 reinstall last night and using the latest motherboard recommended audio drivers, certain games have NO sound. BUT, the audio is much more crisp (though occasionally still popping) in games that still do work. Verifying integrity and reinstalling the games that do not work does nothing. 

I'm at the end of my ropes here. Any thoughts?

I'm running an asus strix 1080 ti and 7700k @ 5ghz and i still get 90-100 fps. I don't play the game very much anymore but i jus lived with it because i didn't really notice the difference considering i have g sync as well, so the frames were always buttery smooth

EDIT: i'm also running the same resolution as you

Just now, Nfrahm1 said:

I'm running an asus strip 1080 ti and 7700k @ 5ghz and i still get 90-100 fps. I don't play the game very much anymore but i jus lived with it because i didn't really notice the difference considering i have g sync as well, so the frames were always buttery smooth

That is actually good to hear, so its probably just an optimization issue then. I mean I have never dropped below 70 fps which is good. Certain areas of the game are more likely to sit in the 110-144 range and others can get down to the 90s and every once and a while down to like 75-80

1 minute ago, CrippledROBOT said:

That is actually good to hear, so its probably just an optimization issue then. I mean I have never dropped below 70 fps which is good. Certain areas of the game are more likely to sit in the 110-144 range and others can get down to the 90s and every once and a while down to like 75-80

What is your fps when you drop quality settings to the lowest? Your system should be performing much better.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

What is your fps when you drop quality settings to the lowest? Your system should be performing much better.

I have not tried that yet and will as soon as I can. Any ideas on the audio issue? In regards to poor fps, I'm sure that something got messed up in the settings during my driver "fixes" for the audio issue. As I just edited for the original post, I actually had BETTER fps about a week...

1 minute ago, CrippledROBOT said:

sounds like we're in the same boat! i'd spend some time tweaking your settings. it could be a single setting that is screwing us over, or it could be a collection of things. 

Just now, Nfrahm1 said:

sounds like we're in the same boat! i'd spend some time tweaking your settings. it could be a single setting that is screwing us over, or it could be a collection of things. 

I have been messing with drivers for the past week or so trying to fix this darn audio problem. That may very well be the issue. 

I'm going to try reinstalling the game today and see if that helps at all. I may just also do a fresh reinstall of windows a 5th time on this computer. 

Are you running @ 3440x1440 or 2560 x 1440?  When I run GTA V @ 3440x1440 in Ultra settings, I get 90-105 fps. I have never tried to run it in 2560x1440 so I can't speak to the kind of framerates I get at that resolution. I'm running a 7700K & 1080 ti, both overclocked fairly high, the cpu @ 5.1ghz and the GPU at 2126mhz.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |