is it my cpu or gpu thats broken.

minervx
10 minutes ago, minervx said:

did that

Clear it again, your overclock is unstable.

Short the pins, don't touch the battery.

3 minutes ago, LeBigMac506 said:

Clear it again, your overclock is unstable.

Short the pins, don't touch the battery.

i don't think it's an unstable overclock.  with unstable overclocks (in the past), my machine would start and then shut off.  but with this problem, the computer remains on but the image doesn't display.

my problem isnt that my machine isn't staying on.  it's on, but none of my monitors or hdmi cables can produce a display signal

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

1 minute ago, minervx said:

i don't think it's an unstable overclock.  with unstable overclocks (in the past), my machine would start and then shut off.  but with this problem, the computer remains on but the image doesn't display.

Hey, if you don't want help then goodluck.

Just now, LeBigMac506 said:

Hey, if you don't want help then goodluck.

i want help.  ill try out your suggestion.

but wouldn't a computer shut off if the overclock was unstable?

could it possibly be the GPU that is overclocked in an unstable way?

last night i did change a setting in the bios to enable AMD virtualization (for virtual machines).  could this have caused the problem?

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

@minervx try unplugging all SATA/M.2 Storage devices.
If you are still using an optical drive, unplug that too.
USB Wise if you have a "normal" keyboard (No RGB/Macro's/etc) attach that.
Remove every other USB Cable, mouse/flash drives/etc. If you do not have a normal keyboard, just try without.
Leaving you with only HDMI & Power plugged in.
Try booting.
If that doesn't work, I presume your 1060 has DVI, or displayport.
Try either DVI (If your display still supports that), or displayport.
It could be a broken HDMI Cable/Connector on the video card or even on the display.

I'd say try that, then report back.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

4 minutes ago, minervx said:

i want help.  ill try out your suggestion.

but wouldn't a computer shut off if the overclock was unstable?

could it possibly be the GPU that is overclocked in an unstable way?

last night i did change a setting in the bios to enable AMD virtualization (for virtual machines).  could this have caused the problem?

Dunno, that's a lot of speculation. I'd just test it.

Reset bios

Test

Double check power and data cables

Test

Remove everything except cpu (and cooler) and gpu

Test

my television and gpu both have 2 hdmi cable.  it's unlikely that 3 or all 4 of them don't work.

reset sata.  nothing.

reset bios.  nothing.

took out cpu.  wouldnt boot.

phone charges but ps/2 keyboard and other peripherals dont light up.

fml.

Don't you have another older rig? So you can try the parts you suspect one by one? 

no, unfortunately not.  ugh i guess im going to have to order a cheap gpu online just for the sake of comparison