HP Omen underperforming

Hey everyone,

I've got a new HP Omen 15 inch 2017 edition, with a i7-7700HQ, 16gb ram and GTX 1050ti. The problem i'm having is that i finally ran a benchmark(fire strike by 3dmark) and I'm really hitting the low values. My score ranges from 5200 to 6100 and the reason I'm worried is that most reviewers on youtube were hitting above 7000 with the same unit. Is there any reason behind this? I have it plugged in while running the test and have the battery preference set on performance. All help is appreciated.

Thanks!

After getting a new gaming laptop, do these first:
format/reset Windows
undervolting CPU and GPU

other tweaks like setting 'prefer max performance' in Nvidia Control Panel, disable unnecessary startup/background programs

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just now, ZM Fong said:

After getting a new gaming laptop, do these first:
format/reset Windows
undervolting CPU and GPU

other tweaks like setting 'prefer max performance' in Nvidia Control Panel, disable unnecessary startup/background programs

i've downloaded all my programs and drivers already and i really dont want to format it as i started working on it. Is there a way of formatting without losing these?

2 minutes ago, Almond said:

i've downloaded all my programs and drivers already and i really dont want to format it as i started working on it. Is there a way of formatting without losing these?

Unfortunately, no

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

Unfortunately, no

i really don't know what to do then, really don't want to lose couple of days of work...I'd do it but i'm scared it will just not solve anything..

The thing is, different circumstances, including ambient temperature, dust buildup, heat dissipation, and cooling will affect your scores. Monitor the heat output in the machine and give us some temps under load. 

Just now, Sylvie said:

The thing is, different circumstances, including ambient temperature, dust buildup, heat dissipation, and cooling will affect your scores. Monitor the heat output in the machine and give us some temps under load. 

will do, i dont believe theres any dust buildup as i only had the unit for 4 days. Downloading afterburner now to check.

2 minutes ago, Almond said:

will do, i dont believe theres any dust buildup as i only had the unit for 4 days. Downloading afterburner now to check.

Monitor the CPU and GPU temps and clocks while gaming for at least 30 mins. Also a small tip, keep the back of the laptop raise up a bit by using a fairly thin but hard thing like a long notepad

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Just now, ZM Fong said:

Monitor the CPU and GPU temps and clocks while gaming for at least 30 mins. Also a small tip, keep the back of the laptop raise up a bit by using a fairly thin but hard thing like a long notepad

I have it raised on a physics book, so it should be alright. I'll run few benchmarks, ill use heaven for it.

so i ran a full heaven benchmark and the results are as follows. gpu 1 usage was at 60%, gpu 2 usage was at 99%, cpu temp reached 74C and i cant seem to find the temp of gpu. I can't seem to find the log file of msi afterburner 4.4.0 or the log from heaven itself.

15 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

19 minutes ago, Sylvie said:

is there a way of sharing a log file from msi afterburner 4.4.0? i posted manual results.

3 minutes ago, Almond said:

is there a way of sharing a log file from msi afterburner 4.4.0? i posted manual results.

what, use rivatuner (bundled with MSI AB installation) to monitor temps and clocks in game/in benchmark

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

what, use rivatuner (bundled with MSI AB installation) to monitor temps and clocks in game/in benchmark

rivatuner doesn't seem to show anything on the benchmark. 

29 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

51 minutes ago, Sylvie said:

i found something interesting. On afterburner my GPU1 is my gtx 1050ti and gpu 2 is my integrated intel hd graphics. The funny thing is during the benchmarking my gtx hit 60% usage and my intel hd graphics used 99%. Is that normal? can i disable my intel hd graphics and just force use my gtx 1050ti?

26 minutes ago, Almond said:

i found something interesting. On afterburner my GPU1 is my gtx 1050ti and gpu 2 is my integrated intel hd graphics. The funny thing is during the benchmarking my gtx hit 60% usage and my intel hd graphics used 99%. Is that normal? can i disable my intel hd graphics and just force use my gtx 1050ti?

Nvidia Control Panel messed up. Open it and set all programs to prefer high performance Nvidia GPU
Manage 3D Settings > 'Preferred Graphics Processor' set to 'High Performance Nvidia Processor' or, manually set which program to use which GPU via 'Program Settings' tab

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Nvidia Control Panel messed up. Open it and set all programs to prefer high performance Nvidia GPU
Manage 3D Settings > 'Preferred Graphics Processor' set to 'High Performance Nvidia Processor' or, manually set which program to use which GPU via 'Program Settings' tab

i've done that and yet it still does that...what could be the reasoning?

4 minutes ago, Almond said:

i've done that and yet it still does that...what could be the reasoning?

tbh I have no idea, the only solution is via Nvidia control panel from what I know
try reset/format Windows, it may help

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

42 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

tbh I have no idea, the only solution is via Nvidia control panel from what I know

i'll try doing that today but i dont know if it will fix anything

Some laptops, and HP used to do this, but might no longer, I'm uncertain, had either a BIOS switch to swap GFX cards, or an outright physical switch.

Start with that, see what you can come up with.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Some laptops, and HP used to do this, but might no longer, I'm uncertain, had either a BIOS switch to swap GFX cards, or an outright physical switch.

Start with that, see what you can come up with.

so you basically want to me to try finding options in the bios? and what exactly do you mean by physcial switch?

On 11/11/2017 at 12:36 PM, ZM Fong said:

i test ran few games like overwatch, diablo 3, doom and tomb raider and my fps is really similar to what the other reviewers get. Is it possible for 3dmark to just screw up the scores sometimes? this is my score from 3dmark: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/23262628 . also could you recommend any other benchmarks which i could use to compare online?

40 minutes ago, Almond said:

also could you recommend any other benchmarks which i could use to compare online?

Benchmarks:

CPU - Cinebench

GPU - ONLY use games as benchmarks

Test stability:

CPU - Prime95 (many ppl don't recommend it but it's still a good way to test the system cooling capabilities), Blender

GPU - Unigine Heaven/Valley

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

Benchmarks:

CPU - Cinebench

Test stability:

CPU - Prime95 (many ppl don't recommend it but it's still a good way to test the system cooling capabilities), Blender

cheers bud, i'll run few tests and get back here with the results. 

2 hours ago, ZM Fong said:

Benchmarks:

CPU - Cinebench

Test stability:

hey dude, my unit has a problem with the fan. i have two options from the manufacturer and those are a repair of the same unit or a brand new one. Do you think it would be smarter to get a new one? 

3 minutes ago, Almond said:

hey dude, my unit has a problem with the fan. i have two options from the manufacturer and those are a repair of the same unit or a brand new one. Do you think it would be smarter to get a new one? 

Of course get a new one

Desktop specs:

Spoiler