Is the 8600k going to be a better gaming cpu than the 8700k?

Hi,

So in the past i5's have been pretty much as good as i7's for gaming is this still the case for the new coffeelake sku's as in the past I have heard hyper threading actually hurts game performance.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

as in the past I have heard hyper threading actually hurts game performance.

No, that was never an issue, I think there may have been stuttering on like first gen i7s but that's about it.

the best buy overall IMO is the i7 8700 for intel, would usually recommend that over the 8600K as it's not much more, and when H370 boards drop there should be cheaper boards to make the end price the same. Also the 8600K needs a cooler, so minimum + $25 there, making the 8700 even more attractive.

Otherwise just hop on the R5 1600 train and enjoy not having to delid, will be limited to about 100fps in most AAA games though.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

No, that was never an issue, I think there may have been stuttering on like first gen i7s but that's about it.

the best buy overall IMO is the i7 8700 for intel, would usually recommend that over the 8600K as it's not much more, and when H370 boards drop there should be cheaper boards to make the end price the same.

Otherwise just hop on the R5 1600 train and enjoy not having to delid, will be limited to about 100fps in most AAA games though.

I feel a 1600 would bottleneck my 1080ti quite a bit

1 minute ago, MekaStrix said:

Hi,

So in the past i5's have been pretty much as good as i7's for gaming is this still the case for the new coffeelake sku's as in the past I have heard hyper threading actually hurts game performance.

Thanks

The i7 is better because of the 4.7 Max Turbo boost and hyperthreading doesn't hurt performance on this amount of cores. (I am sure of this because I have a 8700k and am getting better frames than my friend who has same graphics card just i5 8600k)

PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k @ 4.7GHz Turbo

Motherboard: Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA1551 (300 Series)

RAM: 2x8GB Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200MHz

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080

SDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

HDD:  Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Cooling: Corsair H115i Pro RGB

Main Display: Dell S2417DG 1440p 144/165Hz G-Sync (2560x1440)

Secondary Displays: 2 x Dell P2312H 1080p 60Hz (1920x1080)

Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum

Mouse: Logitech G703 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse

Headset: Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X Headset

Just now, MekaStrix said:

I feel a 1600 would bottleneck my 1080ti quite a bit

What resolution/refresh rate? Do you already have a system?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What resolution/refresh rate? Do you already have a system?

I use 1440p 144hz and I had a system I just sold a lot of the parts to upgrade to Coffelake as my old pc was more workstation based for photoediting and video rendering but I no longer use it for that so sold the expensive CPU and motherboard to save myself some cash and increase my gaming performance.

2 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

If it was intel based running above 4ghz Coffee Lake wouldn't be much faster unless the old PC was 1st or 2nd gen Core Architecture.

If 144hz and you want the best then yes, get an 8700k and delid it. Or if you want say less cooling overhead and are OK at 100fps in AAA games, then go Ryzen

GN covers like everything, and puts it Vs Ryzen, Ryzen isn't too far behind depending on the game

Spoiler

I use 1440p 144hz and I had a system I just sold a lot of the parts to upgrade to Coffelake as my old pc was more workstation based for photoediting and video rendering but I no longer use it for that so sold the expensive CPU and motherboard to save myself some cash and increase my gaming performance.

The i7-8700k is the best gaming cpu but the price is also for the 6 cores / 12 threads so if you don't plan to use that type of stuff at all you might be better off with even a i3-8350k if you get a ok cooler and overclock it a bit

PC Specs:

Spoiler

If it was intel based running above 4ghz Coffee Lake wouldn't be much faster unless the old PC was 1st or 2nd gen Core Architecture.

If 144hz and you want the best then yes, get an 8700k and delid it.

I plan on the delid I also wanted to get rid of quad channel memory as i've had nothing but issues with it I was only ever able to get one kit to work with all 4 sticks the others would only use 3 sticks and I know all the sticks were fine as I tested them individually and ran ram tests they just wouldn't play nicely together so I decided to go back to the simpler mainstream.

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

If 144hz and you want the best then yes, get an 8700k and delid it. Or if you want say less cooling overhead and are OK at 100fps in AAA games, then go Ryzen

Yea but deliding dose void warranty and when your buying a 300+$ CPU you at least want to make sure it works properly in the first year or so

PC Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, epic_ziver_D said:

Yea but deliding dose void warranty and when your buying a 300+$ CPU you at least want to make sure it works properly in the first year or so

It'll be fine, pretty much required if you want to get the most out of the chip

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

Edited the post to include GN's review, it covers everything on the 8700K including benchmarks vs ryzen

Spoiler

Just now, epic_ziver_D said:

TBH my experience with computer companies cough Asus cough Intel warranty means nothing with them guys but I get what you're saying intel need to stop cheaping out though on the materials they use.

Yes.

The 8700k is still better but the difference is very small.

Unless you're going all out an 8600k is a better option.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

TBH my experience with computer companies cough Asus cough Intel warranty means nothing with them guys but I get what you're saying intel need to stop cheaping out though on the materials they use.

Yea but I would rather get PTPP and not delid for at least a year if not 2 (which is what I'm going to do) before delidding

PC Specs:

Spoiler