Is the SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK1 compatible with a 7700k??

Go to solution Solved by TheGlenlivet,
1 minute ago, Alejandro Gamino said:

Hi guys, I pretend to build a new pc using an Intel Core i7 7700K with an Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1 motherboard, but I really don't know if there will be any issues because of the architecture, and since I'm ordering the stuff online it would really be a problem if I have to return it, it has to be perfect on the first try.

Also, I checked on Pc Part Picker and it says that I might need to update the bios using an older CPU, but that's not really an option for me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you very much for your time.

To run a Kaby Lake CPU on a Z170 you have to update the BIOS to the latest version.  In order to do that you will need a Skylake CPU.  There is no way around this that I know of.  A cheap Skylake CPU can be had for $40 or so and then returned once the update is completed.

Hi guys, I pretend to build a new pc using an Intel Core i7 7700K with an Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1 motherboard, but I really don't know if there will be any issues because of the architecture, and since I'm ordering the stuff online it would really be a problem if I have to return it, it has to be perfect on the first try.

Also, I checked on Pc Part Picker and it says that I might need to update the bios using an older CPU, but that's not really an option for me.

To run a Kaby Lake CPU on a Z170 you have to update the BIOS to the latest version.  In order to do that you will need a Skylake CPU.  There is no way around this that I know of.  A cheap Skylake CPU can be had for $40 or so and then returned once the update is completed.

4 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

To run a Kaby Lake CPU on a Z170 you have to update the BIOS to the latest version.  In order to do that you will need a Skylake CPU.  There is no way around this that I know of.  A cheap Skylake CPU can be had for $40 or so and then returned once the update is completed

Actually a lot of manufactures have updated their bios to support Kabylake right from the warehouse, if he's buying it new that is. Of course always the chance he gets the one that didn't get updated.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

1 minute ago, Thinkfreely said:

Actually a lot of manufactures have updated their bios to support Kabylake right from the warehouse, if he's buying it new that is. Of course always the chance he gets the one that didn't get updated.

That's a good point.  He would need to verify with ASUS the version of the BIOS on the board before he bought it.  I'd be willing to bet they get asked this question a lot.

Later versions of the z170 boards, depending on when they were sold, might already have been updated with a BIOS update that can run Kaby Lake chips, worth checking out. Might be worth looking into if a local vendor/shop can provide a chip just for the update so you don't have to buy a cheap skylake just to flash the BIOS.

13 minutes ago, strat guy said:

Later versions of the z170 boards, depending on when they were sold, might already have been updated with a BIOS update that can run Kaby Lake chips, worth checking out. Might be worth looking into if a local vendor/shop can provide a chip just for the update so you don't have to buy a cheap skylake just to flash the BIOS.

I hadn't thought about that, it's actually a good idea, thank you 

I hadn't thought about that, it's actually a good idea, thank you 

Yeah, do that. Don't have any data on when the backward compatible BIOS rollout started but it is possible that some z170 boards sold late in it's lifespan did ship with a BIOS that could run Kaby Lake out of the box.

Just take it to a local dealer/shop and see if they can flash it for you for a nominal fee or something in case you're ordering online or your board still has the old one. Buying a chip just to flash it seems like a bit of a waste. Good luck with your build.