ryzen 1600 overclock to 4ghz

AfifMyst

Hi guys, right now I able to overclock this processor stable at 3.8ghz using stock cooler. Is it worth it to buy new decent cooler to further overclock it at 4ghz. How much different 3.8ghz to 4ghz in term of gaming?

7 minutes ago, AfifMyst said:

Hi guys, right now I able to overclock this processor stable at 3.8ghz using stock cooler. Is it worth it to buy new decent cooler to further overclock it at 4ghz. How much different 3.8ghz to 4ghz in term of gaming?

How much voltage does it take to hit 3.8ghz? What's your motherboard? Difference won't be much.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

7 minutes ago, AfifMyst said:

it depends on the rest of your system, if your CPU is the bottleneck, then yes upgrade to a better cooler and overclock it to 4Ghz. If the GPU is the bottleneck, then you don't have to.

what's your RAM? and it only matters if you want to play PUBG. it stutters at 3.8 and it's perfectly smooth past that.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

19 minutes ago, AfifMyst said:

Even with a decent cooler and mobo, if the CPU itself bottlenecks (can't OC higher due to bad silicon) then you still gain nothing

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

5 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

what's your RAM? and it only matters if you want to play PUBG. it stutters at 3.8 and it's perfectly smooth past that.

I play PUBG and my GPU is gtx 1080 at 1440p. I can achieve 99% gpu usage all the time. So no bottleneck.

2 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Too much for the CPU and the stock cooler.

I see. But how much the voltage suppose with stock cooler?

I wouldn't go higher then 1.4v on any board as 1.425v is the boarder when it affects CPU longevity in 24/7 run. Your board is a b350 one - not the best chip - so don't push it to the limit. 1.375v is IMO maximum reasonable voltage. Try to set on your current cooler maximum stable clocks while keeping voltage at 1.375v or lower. Make sure that your cpu is stable at those clocks. At this point if your CPU is above 80C at full load you can consider better cooler to be able to run at this voltage and clock setting. If your CPU is cool enough (80C or lower) at full load and stable then this is maximum how far you can push your CPU - there is nothing more you can do other then go into "unsafe" zone. Remember that an overclock of +100mhz on motherboard is something you won't notice so if you think you can achieve max 3.9ghz with a new cooler (which is most probable situation) then it is just not worth spending this money.

13 minutes ago, dave_k said:

1.35-1.38V max

thank you, I wasn't aware that my voltage is too high. now I run stable at 1.34v

Just now, Verrm said:

I wouldn't go higher then 1.4v on any board as 1.425v is the boarder when it affects CPU longevity in 24/7 run. Your board is a b350 one - not the best chip - so don't push it to the limit. 1.375v is IMO maximum reasonable voltage. Try to set on your current cooler maximum stable clocks while keeping voltage at 1.375v or lower. Make sure that your cpu is stable at those clocks. At this point if your CPU is above 80C at full load you can consider better cooler to be able to run at this voltage and clock setting. If your CPU is cool enough (80C or lower) at full load and stable then this is maximum how far you can push your CPU - there is nothing more you can do other then go into "unsafe" zone. Remember that an overclock of +100mhz on motherboard is something you won't notice so if you think you can achieve max 3.9ghz with a new cooler (which is most probable situation) then it is just not worth spending this money.

thank you I just lowered it down to 1.34v. and my max temp using aida64 test cpu and fpu is 82c. So the new cooler is not worth to oc from 3.8ghz to 4ghz. alright then. I played at 1440p so CPU should't be a problem.

1 minute ago, AfifMyst said:

thank you I just lowered it down to 1.34v. and my max temp using aida64 test cpu and fpu is 82c. So the new cooler is not worth to oc from 3.8ghz to 4ghz. alright then. I played at 1440p so CPU should't be a problem.

No problem, most Ryzen cpus clock to max 3.9ghz and it is not really worth it if you got perfectly fine 3.8ghz overclock with a nice 1.34v. As you said the 1440p is more demanding on gpu these days. If you got some spare money consider buying yourself something fancy, like better clocked ram or better gpu. Maybe some new mouse/keyboard/headset/mousepad? ;p

4 hours ago, AfifMyst said:

thank you, I wasn't aware that my voltage is too high. now I run stable at 1.34v

You need to put a fan over your VRM if you want to try for 4ghz.

1.425V is like the max for benchmarking.

Probably don't go past 1.35V if you're trying to hit 4ghz for daily use, but a fan over your VRM should help a bit. Like every AM4 board under $150 has a crap VRM.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

8 hours ago, AfifMyst said:

I play PUBG and my GPU is gtx 1080 at 1440p. I can achieve 99% gpu usage all the time. So no bottleneck.

oh idk about 1440p. i've only tested 1080p.

3 hours ago, Streetguru said:

You need to put a fan over your VRM if you want to try for 4ghz.

1.425V is like the max for benchmarking.

Probably don't go past 1.35V if you're trying to hit 4ghz for daily use, but a fan over your VRM should help a bit. Like every AM4 board under $150 has a crap VRM.

you can run 1.42 daily according to AMD. i personally wouldn't go quite that high, but that's what AMD said. definitely need a cooler for that though... and the VRM aren't as bad as you think....... you just NEED to put a fan on them.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

Just now, SquintyG33Rs said:

VRM aren't as bad as you think

They are pretty bad for real, there's no reason for them to be so bad

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

They are pretty bad for real, there's no reason for them to be so bad

they're cheap........ that's the reason....... you don't pay money they're not going to give you free features...... and they're all perfectly capable of running all Ryzen CPU so they're not as cheap as you think.

they get hot doing it -> so you have to cool them

and they will stop you from reaching 4GHz -> but if that was your end goal you should have bought an X370 board

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

2 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

I need to find how much it costs to produce a motherboard, and how much the VRM components cost, however I'm pretty sure when you're in the thousands or tens of thousands that they buy, it likely costs dollars more at that point for the better components.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

I need to find how much it costs to produce a motherboard, and how much the VRM components cost, however I'm pretty sure when you're in the thousands or tens of thousands that they buy, it likely costs dollars more at that point for the better components.

yup you're probably right. but it's "good enough" and they want to give you a reason to buy the more expensive stuff where they make more margins it's not a charity

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

1 minute ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

yup you're probably right. but it's "good enough" and they want to give you a reason to buy the more expensive stuff where they make more margins it's not a charity

Just one of them needs to put out a non Meme motherboard with a solid VRM, and a real VRM heatsink for around $100, and they'd basically own that market.

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Just one of them needs to put out a non Meme motherboard with a solid VRM, and a real VRM heatsink for around $100, and they'd basically own that market.

nah you're seriously underestimating it. i have B350M mortar arctic MSI board it's pretty damn cheap board (almost the cheapest i could find) with a 1700@3.9_1.412V in it and the VRM with a fan on it has no problems and sits around 80C under synthetic load.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

1 minute ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

It's likely not at that voltage when you're under full load though, meaning a bit less heat, but still, it really isn't hard. They seem to care more about RGB than VRMs.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

It's likely not at that voltage when you're under full load though, meaning a bit less heat, but still, it really isn't hard. They seem to care more about RGB than VRMs.

of course not, i have LLC turned on. it's at 0.08 higher voltage at full load

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)