enabling XMP 3200 fails boot, is it mobo or ram?

I have a G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB DDR4 3200 set with a Gigabyte gaming G1 mobo and 6700k..

I've never been able to get XMP profile 1 to work,

when I enable it for 3200 my boot fails and have to disable it in bios to get a boot.

How could I discover if it's the mobo or ram that's manufacturer defective? assuming a defect is the issue.

Thank you

My mining journey

2 minutes ago, D Levy said:

I have a G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB DDR4 3200 set with a Gigabyte gaming G1 mobo and 6700k..

I've never been able to get XMP profile 1 to work,

when I enable it for 3200 my boot fails and have to disable it in bios to get a boot.

How could I discover if it's the mobo or ram that's manufacturer defective? assuming a defect is the issue.

Thank you

Your RAM may need to have higher voltage applied to function. Set DRAM voltage to 1.25v and the problem will probably go away.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I'm also running G.Skill 3200MHZ RAM on a Gigibyte MB and I'm having no issues with 4 low latency DIMMS totaling 32GB. Which specific RAM kit do you have?

What DRAM voltage are you using? I'm using 1.35v

What System Agent Voltage are you using?  I'm using 1.20v

What VCCIO Voltage are you using? I'm using 1.20v

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, EVGA Supernova 850W G3, Asus Xonar DGX

Fractal Design Define C TG, Noctua NH-U14S, Asus PG279Q 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz

but doesn't enabling XMP profiles similiar to auto settings? I haven't manually OC this build.. and I'm not confident in myself to try to manually OC it as it's my main build. Wish there was a der8auer video on this board.

My mining journey

Enabling XMP will not necessarily change your System Agent Voltage or your VCCIO Voltage as these are left on AUTO and it is up to your BIOS to make changes. If you contact G.Skill they will tell you that the issue is most likely the memory controller on your CPU needing more voltage to handle the overclocked RAM, XMP or not, anything over 2133MHz is more than the CPU was rated for and is an overclock.

Change your voltages to the very safe ones I suggested for long term 24/7 use and let us know what happens.

i9-10900K, Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming WiFi, Asus TUF RTX3080, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz CL14

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB, EVGA Supernova 850W G3, Asus Xonar DGX

Fractal Design Define C TG, Noctua NH-U14S, Asus PG279Q 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz