Help with my Router settings.

KaiserV1

I watched Techquickie's video about the router settings and I have two questions. One, I want to set up a Guest Network but I can't seem to find the option anywhere. Not sure if my router allows it. Two, I want to change the Wireless channel, I already checked with an app and the better ones are 13 and 14, but I can only choose up to channel 11. My router is a Cisco DPC2320 Router by the way.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x370 K7

GPU: R9 380 

RAM: 16GB Trident Z RGB

PSU: EVGA 650W Gold

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv

You can only choose a guest network if your equipment allows it, it might be possible with a firmware change to tomato or pfsense etc, but as it's cisco I doubt it. Same for the channels for wifi, just set it to the least congested. You could look into getting an AP (access point) with 5Ghz wifi also, this should help with congestion, but not sure if they allow guest networks too, I don't recall seeing any.

You could have a look at an AP like this  https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-NETWORKS-UBI-UAP-AC-PRO-5Ghz-1300Mbps/dp/B016XYQ3WK/

It does need to be wired into the router you already have, and also have power, but can at least be deployed where the best benefit to it can be had, and more can be used in sync with each other too, to form a home mesh network.

Someone else will most likely come along and offer better advice than I on what APs are better for your usage, and most likely another router might be in order to make the best of it.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

16 hours ago, KaiserV1 said:

I watched Techquickie's video about the router settings and I have two questions. One, I want to set up a Guest Network but I can't seem to find the option anywhere. Not sure if my router allows it. Two, I want to change the Wireless channel, I already checked with an app and the better ones are 13 and 14, but I can only choose up to channel 11. My router is a Cisco DPC2320 Router by the way.

In the US channels 1-11are the only legal ones to use. Using channels 13 and 14 get the FCC out to your house and a nice sized fine issued. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

In the US channels 1-11are the only legal ones to use. Using channels 13 and 14 get the FCC out to your house and a nice sized fine issued. 

Well I don't live in the US, but I assume they aren't legal here either as I can't select them. Damn, glad I know that now or else I would've gotten killed lmao

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x370 K7

GPU: R9 380 

RAM: 16GB Trident Z RGB

PSU: EVGA 650W Gold

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv